610 rear diff

GreaseMonky

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a car.... with some work you can fit an R-180 in.This would be stronger anyway and you may have already done so. Find an '80- December '82 4x4 or any 720 4x4 before the Z24 motor was used. The front differential is 4.375 and being on a 4x4 has way less mileage than the rest of the truck. Early Pathfinders with 4 cylinders (rare) had 4.625 R-180s in the front.

ok i apreciate it guys, i will check into that, hopefully its not much of a mod, we are suppose to use stock for year make an model of car, but if i can use a stockl looking part, with out alot of mods to put it in, i think i can get away with that

ok i apreciate it guys, i will check into that, hopefully its not much of a mod, we are suppose to use stock for year make an model of car, but if i can use a stockl looking part, with out alot of mods to put it in, i think i can get away with that

I don't think the R-180/R-160 look much different from each other.

Here is an R-180 from '81 720 that I sold to a guy from Vancouver for his dime. He really liked the 4.375 ratio and was planning to swap a Subby LSD into it.

IMG_0123.jpg

The newer ('80 on?) ones will have a K cast into the top.

diffR180411Large.jpg

I corrected my previous post text to include the early '87-'89 WD-21 Pathfinder with the Z24i motor. They also have front differential with an R-180 but with 4.625 ratio.

I don't think the R-180/R-160 look much different from each other.

Here is an R-180 from '81 720 that I sold to a guy from Vancouver for his dime. He really liked the 4.375 ratio and was planning to swap a Subby LSD into it.

IMG_0123.jpg

The newer ('80 on?) ones will have a K cast into the top.

diffR180411Large.jpg

I corrected my previous post text to include the early '87-'89 WD-21 Pathfinder with the Z24i motor. They also have front differential with an R-180 but with 4.625 ratio.

So if the 4.375 isnt low enough i can try a pathy front diff? how much modifying do i need to do to put it in?

I am trying to get rpms up so this cam i put in will work a little better,

I have no Idea. The pathfinder has a funny solid axle tube on the pass side that bolts on. Sort of an extension. Just remove it and the 510 drive shaft to the wheel should bolt on.

The thing is finding a Z24 Pathfinder (never seen one) '87 to '89 had only the R-180 with 4.625. After '89 only VG30 motors and a different front diff.

Worst case is you could salvage the gears and swap into another R-180 case, but I believe they are the same.

For a 4.375 you will want to look for '80- to December '82 720 trucks. Check the door tag for the exact build date. Another clue is to look at the engine tag located under the pass side hood hinge on the inner fender. The one below is from an '81 KC 4x4 and if you look in the lower right (where pen is pointing) you'll find the axle ratio HF 43.... 43 stands for 4.375. The engine size is to the left side and the line above and says Z22. An L20B is also acceptable. Those marked Z24 will have a rear ratio marked 41 or a 4.11 ratio in the front.

enginetag002Large.jpg