King Pin Installation

boxboy

So I am finally getting around to installing my King pins. I had a machine shop do the pressing and reeming, and now I am trying to assemble. I have a few questions. Perhaps Mklotz is watching:) One is, how hard to I have to smack those grease plugs to get them to stay? I am inserting the bottom one first of course, and I am assuming that one is pretty secure because the steering arm bolts over the top of it. It was pretty tight going in, but I took a socket and beat on it a bit unit I was sure it was seated all around and then took a smaller socket and smacked it a few times in the center to flatten it out. But it didn't flatten much at all.

Second, is on which side of the dog bone do the shims go? It has been so long since tear down I don't remember, and the book doesn't give much info. Also, if anyone has ideas on how to get those paper thin shims in there without kinking them and also get everything lined up so that the pin slides in nice, that would be appreciated too.

I am looking forward to less shimmy and shake and some tighter steering. I am almost there! Just got to carve out the time to get her done!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am referring to the shims (# 6) and the bearings (#7). I am wondering if the all go on the bottom of the dogbone (#18) as it attaches to the spindle, or are the shims supposed to be on the top side of the dogbone surface where it mates with the spindle?

The grease caps I am referring to are #9 in the diagram. I have got the bottom one installed so I can attach the arm (#13), but I want to make sure it will not be slipping out and letting grease escape. How hard to I have to hit the thing to get it to spread out and lock into place?

The smaller side of the bearing goes against the top side of the lower part of part#1, the spindle, knuckle. On top of the bearing, you fit the shims. Then the bottom side of the knuckle support, part #18.

you want to play with the number and thickness of the shims, to get a clearance of .0016, or less. between parts #1, and #18.

You apply a small amount of hardening sealer on the outer circumference of the plug, or cap, and put it in the recess where it fits on the top and bottom of Part #1. make sure it is seated down in the groove, and then punch it in the center. This makes the plug expand slightly, and seals it. Then you stake three places around the top, to help lock it in place.

The smaller side of the bearing goes against the top side of the lower part of part#1, the spindle, knuckle. On top of the bearing, you fit the shims. Then the bottom side of the knuckle support, part #18.

you want to play with the number and thickness of the shims, to get a clearance of .0016, or less. between parts #1, and #18.

You apply a small amount of hardening sealer on the outer circumference of the plug, or cap, and put it in the recess where it fits on the top and bottom of Part #1. make sure it is seated down in the groove, and then punch it in the center. This makes the plug expand slightly, and seals it. Then you stake three places around the top, to help lock it in place.

That's what I was looking for. Mklotz did a thread on this and I believe he put his on top of the dogbone, but only because the manual didn't say. I don't know that it will make a grand difference where you put the, but I would like to do it right.

The weight of the truck is on the knuckle support, part #18. On the bottom of that part, are the shims, and then the bearing. The idea is the top of the bearing, and the shims never turn relative to each other, because the bearing turns easier. The bottom of the bearing rests on the spindle, and the spindle holds the wheel bearings, and eventually the tire.

I installed one side last night. The only real issue that I have is that when I drove in the top grease cap. My spindle had been punched or gouged after the last grease caps were installed, so the hole had little dimples in it. So when the new cap was driven in, those dimples scarred the edges of the cap. When I pumped grease into the King Pin zerks, grease came shooting out those scarred areas. Will this be a major issue? I cleaned the grease off, and smeared some silicone around the top of the cap, just so there will not be a place for water to pool. On the next one, I think I will put some silicone around the edges of the opening and drive the cap into it.