electrical

hollywood7600

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

theres a few threads on this floating around here already. most of them include pretty detailed instructions for swapping an internally regulated alt in your truck

theres actually quite a few upgraded alternators with good and bad points.

all of them are fairly straight forward swaps, some with minimal bracket and/or electrical mods.

there are internally regulated alternators from newer datsuns.(like early 80's cars and trucks)

the saturn alt swap is fairly common, but requires a little work

ka alternators from 240sx, hardbody etc

quest minivan alts

gm 1 wire (extra bracket work i believe)

and i think some guys are running powermaster? aftermarket high output alternators.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/8924-alternater-swap-no-excuses-sticky/page__p__117287__hl__%2Balternator+%2Bswaps__fromsearch__1#entry117287

use the search function, can be really helpful. good luck and welcome to ratsun ;)

There are lots of threads, do some searching.

But I will tell you this. I have a 521, that I ended up putting a 50 amp external regulator alternator on, many years ago, before IR alternators were common. I used the stock voltage regulator, it worked fine, and still does.

Last year, I bought a parts truck, that need work, but will probably be a runner someday. It was missing an alternator, and I happened to have an IR regulated alternator, that came from some four cylinder L-engine. I put that alternator on the parts truck, and made the simple modification at the regulator plug. Two short wires, with 1/4 spade connectors, and the IR alternator works.

If you go with an internal regulated alternator, you must leave the ground wire from the alternator frame to the inner fender well, where the stock voltage regulator was mounted. If the ground from the cab sheet metal to the alternator frame is lost, the electrical will try to ground through the throttle cable. This will melt the throttle cable outer housing, and destroy the throttle cable, and leave you with a throttle probably stuck open.