610 help

whitney

My alternator recently went out and i had replaced with a new one, as well as putting a new battery in my car. And now we can't get it to start.

What happend was i was driving home one night when all my powerd stopped working but my car continued running, I drove another 20 miles to my house and the lights phased out. My dashboard lights froze in place while my headlights and brake lights were out. The next day we try jumping my car and it starts then dies because of not being warmed up. I left my car there and didn't drive it for a week. then we replaced the alternator and now my car will not start for anything. Leading up to my car dieing, when it did run whenever i came to a complete stop it would die and i would have to start it again. So it could be related to a gas intake issue? I am not sure. please help!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're saying you drove it and slowly the lights dimmed and went out (do not understand the dash lights froze in place)

Are you sure that you installed an external regulated alternator? Your car needs this and there are internally regulated ones that could have been mistakenly sold to you.

By 'not starting' do you mean it cranks over but won't start?

• 2 weeks later...

^ Ditto

If the alternator IS bad, it would slowly shut the car down too though, I've the same issue

with the battery not getting enough charge, and lights/etc slowly draining my system. It's

exactly how you described it.

Does the car crank over if you try "jumping" the battery? Have you tried bypassing your

starter solenoid? (I do NOT recommend trying that more than once, you can serious fry

some shit fast) Have you checked the fusible linkage?

You're saying you drove it and slowly the lights dimmed and went out (do not understand the dash lights froze in place)

Are you sure that you installed an external regulated alternator? Your car needs this and there are internally regulated ones that could have been mistakenly sold to you.

By 'not starting' do you mean it cranks over but won't start?

It was a very confused post anyway.