520 cab removal

billair

Hey, first I wanna apologize for not posting any pics yet. I have a couple of things here and there. It have not put any upcuz my truck is not at home I live in a row home and we're not allowed to work On vehicles here according to strata...... yada yada yada

I have a 67 520 I bought that has more issues than previously seen but in search of parts for I located here a parts truck and the cab is in better shape than mine so rather strip the parts off I need I'm thinking of replacing the whole cab, floors doors and rockers are way better all the dash is there headliner .... everything. I just wanna get this thing driving as I need good gas milage and a vehicle for work.

My question is, has any one pulled a cab off and replaced it with another here, and how quick could it be done, just a swap not a restore, anyone know of any threads

There will be how many body mounts, then fuel line, pedals, steering, electrical, most of this is out of the donor cab, I bet if I rock it could be a weekend job but the unforeseenies always pop up

Lemme know if anyone has done this

My question is

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done this several times before, first I use a engine hoist, I connect a strap to the tunnel seatbelt connections, open the door and connect the hoist to the strap.

DSCN0012.jpg

Next I use a car/truck lift/hoist like the one in the photo below, I use it to lift and steady the front of the cab.

DSCN0011-1.jpg

Then I use jack stands with a long piece of heavy 2 inch square piece of steel tubing between two of them to hold the cab up when I roll the frame out from under the cab, I use this way as I can do it all by myself, you do need 4 stands. In the past I made 2 big sawhorses out of 4X4s.

DSCN0013.jpg

DSCN0147.jpg

Wow thanks

Are the body mount/bolts usually toast? They could be replaced with something similar right? I thought I saw a post here where someone was holding up rusted body mount bolt

I have found that the cab mount bolts can get fairly rusty/ugly. The box mount bolts are usually difficult to deal with, I usually anymore just tighten them(box bolts) till they break, sometimes they break within a quarter turn. Keep everything from the cab mounting hardware, I reuse most of it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have found that the cab mount bolts can get fairly rusty/ugly. The box mount bolts are usually difficult to deal with, I usually anymore just tighten them(box bolts) till they break, sometimes they break within a quarter turn. Keep everything from the cab mounting hardware, I reuse most of it.

Hey wayno

can i take off the front fenders with the inner fenders attached and the front support piece, one piece like.... after I sort the wiring and all ?

There is 2 bolts and pads on the front, looks like the ones under the cab that I can see, but the inner fenders don't look like they have ever been off

Have you done this before when you took off your cab or did you just take them off one at a time

Hey wayno

can i take off the front fenders with the inner fenders attached and the front support piece, one piece like.... after I sort the wiring and all ?

There is 2 bolts and pads on the front, looks like the ones under the cab that I can see, but the inner fenders don't look like they have ever been off

Have you done this before when you took off your cab or did you just take them off one at a time

The inner fenders are part of the cab, they are not removable. You can cut them off, but for the average ratsuner that is not the avenue to take.

Is there a need to have them out of the way?