Anti-freeze/Coolant

datzenmike

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Distilled water will not protect from corrosion, in fact it can lead to corrosion (Cu and Fe ions will leach into distilled water). Without getting into the nasty details it does "breakdown" to a degree (think about how you would actually measure a ph of 7). This is also temperature dependent, at higher temps distilled water will tend towards slightly acidic; exposure to air (CO2 really, O2 also) will also readily acidify distilled water. You are right that short of some relatively unusual and nasty chemicals the cooling properties of water are better then antifreeze/water mix. Although not a big deal in Socal, antifreeze (like the name says) prevents freezing at below 0 temps, it also increases the boiling point too. Please remember that you have dissimilar metals in your cooling system, at a minimum probably a mix of brass, aluminum and iron. There exists a real risk for accidental galvanic corrosion, something the anti-corrosion inhibitors in antifreeze help minimize (you can also add a sacrificial anode).

Short answer: you can get away with distilled water for a while, but use antifreeze.

im glad to be corrected by someone with more knowlege than i have. i'll consider doing that now then. i forgot to add, i do use "water wetter" which i think raises the freezing point and boiling point, though it is only a 12 ounce bottle, i think it is also supposed to prevent corrosion. i know race teams use it instead of coolant because some race tracks prohibit it due to cooling system leaks on the track. water wetter is legal on the track wink.gif

On the antifreeze, all old stuff (Datsuns in particular) takes green. Most newer stuff is no-silicates or other fancy bullshit. There is:

Pink G05, good for most new rigs with delicate internals.

Purple (Honda/Toyota)

Orange (Dexcool, used to be just GM, most newer rigs are using it or G05)

Red (Extended life, will mix with anything, though I still hesitate to mix it with Dexcool.)

Keep in mind, with antifreezes that mix with everything, the color will mix to a muddy brown or red or what have you. The best way to figure out your level of protection is with an antifreeze tester available at your local NAPA store. ;) (Shameless plug)

And no, distilled water doesn't remain distilled very long considering it's going through metal parts inside your motor. Regular tap water is just fine.