Anti-freeze/Coolant

datzenmike

Well everyone it's time to check your anti-freeze. Yeah you had the rad out last summer and said you would do it later, and now is later. You replaced that leaking: PICK ONE (rad, pump, head gasket, rad hose, heater core, heater hose, thermostat housing) and refilled with plain water in case it still leaked and never got around to replacing the anti freeze.

I bought 2 gallons for my 710s two weeks ago and just kept putting it off, so I was off work early and fired the goon up and drove it around the neighborhood to warm it up. Drained the slightly greenish water out and dumped in a gallon. Warned her back up and topped it up. I noticed that the heater hoses have some kind of vacuum valve in line and water wasn't circulating. (hoses inside the car were cold) I by passed it and got the old water out and mixed well. Weather permitting I will do the sedan tomorrow. I believe it's now good for 5 years.

So if you have bought a Datsun and don't know how old the anti freeze is maybe you should change it. My sedan spent last winter in a warmed shop so I didn't worry about it, besides it was a bright neon green so... But I know the car has been sitting since at least 2002 when the PO died, maybe longer. Anti freeze is best for corrosion protection (all year) freezing protection (maybe twenty-one days a year where I am) and it also raises the boiling point. (never gets that hot here)

Do not leave old anti freeze laying around in an open container where pets can get at it. It has a sweet taste and usually destroys the liver and that's a gruesome way to go. Most anti freeze will break down into water and carbon dioxide in the environment. However there are other additives that are toxic. Just sayin'.

• Like 6
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jennifer, you may have a propylene glycol type anti freeze. It turns a redish color when old. (or it could just be rust) Either way It's needs a good flush too.

propylene glycol type anti freeze? ... i buy prestone... i haz brown gunk in my radiator... :(

good flush.. buy flush fluid at the store? :)

• Like 1

I flushed my radiator this summer when I removed it. Just hooked it up the the garden hose, both forward and backwards flow until clear. My coolant was a nice neon brown. After a few hundred miles, coolant is still green color. I also took that opportunity to flush the heater core. Hose clamped the garden hose to the heater inlet.

Run both directions through the core too. I did one once and what came out looked like chocolate milk with dead flies in it. Maybe someone rand some of that Bar's Leaks stuff in it, I don't know but the heater worked a lot better after too.

Good on you for reminding !!! :)

Did my coolant flush , heater-core-flush , heater-core hoses , water-pump , and radiator this summer ,,, with an engine switch of course :D , I also popped open the block drain and stuck a pressure washer everywhich way I could through the cooling jacket while the hoses/thermostat were off/out ,,, worked great so far ,,, lots of flakes of rust came out ,,, :unsure: ;)

I ran it both ways on the heater core, sadly my heater still doesnt work, but lots of brown gunk came out. I have bigger issues than a non working heater right now though.

ZEROW ,,, mentioned a process with being able to use "CLR(Calcium Lime Rust available at Walgreens)/Vinegar" ,,, two step process or three step ? to un-block well ,,, blocked heater cores ! ollz ,,, as he has done so with success to unclog Blocked Heater Cores :)

Yes You Do ! Oil ,,, :(

ZEROW ,,, mentioned a process with being able to use "CLR(Calcium Lime Rust available at Walgreens)/Vinegar" ,,, two step process or three step ? to un-block well ,,, blocked heater cores ! ollz ,,, as he has done so with success to unclog Blocked Heater Cores :)

Yes You Do ! Oil ,,, :(

Well the garden hose successfully pushed through both directions. Seemed clear before everything was hooked up. Eh, I have massive oil leaks and I burn a ton of oil, so the car is parked til I have money to spend on it.

But maybe I dont have enough unblocked... Ill try some new things. Crackerjack also gave me a 620 heater core...

Just winterized the 521 and 2 motorcycles today, brrr it was freakin' cold out there!

In addition to refreshing the coolant, if it's gonna be parked for the winter, don't forget to add some fuel stabilizer!!!

I use Maxima brand @ 1oz per gallon, guaranteed indefinately even with the shit fuel we get nowadays.

does distilled water not prevent corrosion? it cannot break down (hydrogen and oxygen) and thus cannot create iron oxide (rust). ive always used only distilled water and in my area with its mild climate, i have had no problems. i have found something weird just from testing water and antifreeze vs distilled water alone, and came to the conclusions that distilled water alone also doesnt retain heat as much as an antifreeze mix. seems as though the water is much much cooler coming out of the radiator that way. though i understand in other climates that may change.

does distilled water not prevent corrosion? it cannot break down (hydrogen and oxygen) and thus cannot create iron oxide (rust). ive always used only distilled water and in my area with its mild climate, i have had no problems. i have found something weird just from testing water and antifreeze vs distilled water alone, and came to the conclusions that distilled water alone also doesnt retain heat as much as an antifreeze mix. seems as though the water is much much cooler coming out of the radiator that way. though i understand in other climates that may change.

Distilled water will not protect from corrosion, in fact it can lead to corrosion (Cu and Fe ions will leach into distilled water). Without getting into the nasty details it does "breakdown" to a degree (think about how you would actually measure a ph of 7). This is also temperature dependent, at higher temps distilled water will tend towards slightly acidic; exposure to air (CO2 really, O2 also) will also readily acidify distilled water. You are right that short of some relatively unusual and nasty chemicals the cooling properties of water are better then antifreeze/water mix. Although not a big deal in Socal, antifreeze (like the name says) prevents freezing at below 0 temps, it also increases the boiling point too. Please remember that you have dissimilar metals in your cooling system, at a minimum probably a mix of brass, aluminum and iron. There exists a real risk for accidental galvanic corrosion, something the anti-corrosion inhibitors in antifreeze help minimize (you can also add a sacrificial anode).

Short answer: you can get away with distilled water for a while, but use antifreeze.