Child Car Seat ideas for Datsun 521 ?

unseen

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 years old, less than 25 lbs...your kid should be rear-facing.

But if you were to take the risk by putting him in the truck, it doesn't matter anyways.

Let him roll on the floor. Just as safe.

I would love, LOVE, to haul my kids around in my truck.

Still not going to do it.

In no way am I ragging.

Not safe.

I actually already detached the shoulder belts and use lap belts currently, thank you ! nice work !

Safety first of course ! Thanks for your concern guys!

I should mention my son is not your average 2 year old...

When he was just 4 months He spent a month touring Baja Mexico, same dirt roads as baja 5000,

He couldnt even hold his head up at that point and he absolutely loved the off roading and he loved the Wild West of Mexico...

He is also from Italy where driving in any car is a life threatening as walking through Compton... lol :lol:

thanks yall

I am sorry to admit it, but having been in too many accidents, with different 521 trucks, they are stronger than you realize.

The frames on these trucks are strong. The cab is attached to the frame pretty well, unless there is rust in the floor, and make no mistake, there are a lot of 521 trucks with rust issues in the floor.

Another issue with 521 trucks is the solid steering column, but again, with the steering box inside the frame, if the cab mounts are solid, I do not believe that is a big safety issue, especially for the child.

Every 521 I have seen has had lap belts.

Mklotz, and others have fabricated provisions for shoulder belts.

I am pretty sure no 521 had the need for an "airbag defeat switch"

I see two issues with what you are asking.

1. Satisfying the letter of the law, and having the child "legally safe"

2. Actually making sure the child is safe.

Please note, satisfying either requirement does not guarantee the other is met.

Find out if the California motor vehicle code has provisions for children in older vehicles. It may not, California is one of the states actively trying to get older vehicles off the road, and scrapped.

For the 521 you need to inspect the cab floor, and the cab mounts, including the bolts. I have seen 521 cab mount bolts rusted to the point where the strength of the bolt is severely compromised. You also need to make sure there are no rust issues in the floor, where the cab mounts and bolts go in to the cab. While checking that, you need to check the seat belt mounts, and probably need to fabricate provisions for shoulder belts. Again, I think some good information is buried in mklotz's project Mend thread.

Absolute bare minimum with the brakes, make sure the hydraulics are in good shape, master and wheel cylinders, and hoses. Stock brake hoses are over 40 years old. Luckily, the 521 uses American thread sizes on the body, and brake lines, and it is pretty easy to get new rubber hoses for the brakes. Two in the front, and one in the back. You must adjust the stock 521 drum brakes every 3000 miles, or sooner.

First brake system upgrade, a dual master cylinder. I have not done this, you will have to search other threads. Another good upgrade, put disk brakes on the front of the truck.

Thank you for the link to the NWDE archive! I booked marked that one.

• Like 1

I have 3 kids 3,7, and 11. I waited till they were out of booster seats. When they finally get/got to ride its win. I replaced the lap belts and hardware when I got it. I will say, I agree with DanielC upgrading the braking system is as, if not more important for safety. My 521's thread in my sig has my 4 wheel disk swap. Definately feel much better about taking the kiddos.

If it were up to them

06232010504.jpg

• Like 2

Also, just make sure the car seat is up to date. if the car seat is up to date, and its strapped down by a seat belt. You should be fine. Its up to you to make the choice if the kids are safe in that vehicle or not. You know the truck more than any of us.

I let my kids ride in my 521, but that truck is solid.

• Like 1

I am wondering out loud here, but my Honda Element had seats in it with integrated seat belts. I know that there are other cars out there now that also have this tech. I am thinking that someday I may get some seats from the junk yard and adapt them to my truck. It would probably take some extra beefing up of the floor pan, but probably reasonably simple. Anyone else tried this?

I remember riding around in the back of the F-100 cross country with my brother and sister...and in the 56 Chevy with no seat belts...

I also remember corporal punishment in schools. I deserved every swat I got. :lol:

Now you can get a ticket in Seattle for not wearing a helmet while riding a bike and parents can go to jail for spanking their own kids.

I weep for the future... :mellow:

My 3 yr old grand daughter loves papa and daddies trucks. She should be ok :P

Picture186.jpg

Picture034.jpg

That's her with the big grin in the passenger seat :D

• Like 1