Did the unmentionable Traded the Z for a 61Willys Jeep

well as the title says, i traded the wife's 260Z for this 1961 Willys Jeep. it has a 327 SBC with camels, truck 4speed with Granny, 5.38 gears with a 1.95 reduction T-case. this thing Crawls like a son of a bitch. we will miss our Beloved Datsun Z but, we felt this would Jeep would better serve the family for outings away from this concrete jungle we live in. i have plans of VW 1.9 Diesel in the future. i will be researching my options as time goes. its a pretty nice Jeep for 50 years old vehicle. my phone camera took a serious shit, looks like it is under water....

1108011647.jpg

1108011648a.jpg

1108011648.jpg

• Like 7
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wait.. you want to swap the 327 for a 1.6 vw diesel?

the VW diesel is from Germany, it is a 1.9 liter. last night i discovered there is an adapter to mount a OM617 3.0 turbo Benz Diesel to a Chevy bell housing. most likely will go the Mercedes route...

the VW diesel is from Germany, it is a 1.9 liter. last night i discovered there is an adapter to mount a OM617 3.0 turbo Benz Diesel to a Chevy bell housing. most likely will go the Mercedes route...

Evil laugh inserted here...Good job on the trade!

• 2 months later...

Currently it has 4.27 gears with a Detroit locker, 327 SBC, SM465 trans and Dana 18 T-case. Well, I have committed myself with this plan of making 30-40 mpg and still being able to hit the trails, just not as fast. I have spent hours planning, calculating shift points and searching threads for information that will help put this project in motion. here is what i have so far. CJ5 with a 65 327 SBC small journal crank, Camel back heads and an old school Torker Intake. i am not liking the idea of Gasoline under the seats plus the SBC will not provide the MPG i want to see. the 327 is on Craigslist to be sold and i already have the VW Diesel from Quality German Auto parts in Ontario, 909 390 6979. next i will be ordering an Adapter for the engine to a Toyota pickup bellhousing 22R - W56. there is another adapter from OTT Industries in canada, 604 539 1818. that Ron there will be making an adapter for me. this will mate the Toyota Bellhousing to my SM465 transmission. I will post more pics and info later as this project gets rolling.

1961jeep.jpg

327enginepassside.jpg

327enginedriversside.jpg

191YVWDiesel.jpg

well as the title says, i traded the wife's 260Z for this 1961 Willys Jeep. it has a 327 SBC with camels, truck 4speed with Granny, 5.38 gears with a 1.95 reduction T-case. this thing Crawls like a son of a bitch. we will miss our Beloved Datsun Z but, we felt this would Jeep would better serve the family for outings away from this concrete jungle we live in. i have plans of VW 1.9 Diesel in the future. i will be researching my options as time goes. its a pretty nice Jeep for 50 years old vehicle. my phone camera took a serious shit, looks like it is under water....

Unless they've been changed, 61's came with Dana 18 axles~ do NOT jump on it or you'll be goin home either in front wheel drive~ or on the hook. Upgrade to D30/D44's f/r ASAP. Dana 30's lend themselves well to disc brake conversions if you can't find one already so equipped, and the D44 in back will handle all the power and crawling you'll ever need for a "family rig". Your rear diff appears to be offset~ BAD for u-joint life and rear pinion/bearings. SWAG'in that you're runnin 31" tires the 327 should do okay at mild freeway speeds (32-3300rpm @ 55), but reducing that'd give you better economy. 465? That powertrain combo adds up to a LOT of extra cast iron over the original 2300# curb weight. Use all the due diligence you can muster if you decide to chance towing with such a short (81") wheelbase and 4 wheel drum brakes. Find out how many miles the 327's got on it. Those heads have neither induction-hardened seats nor pressed in seats (unless they've been added), and will wear out in short order on unleaded gas~ probably 30-40k max, and cut that in half if it's been run hard or lean. Stainless valves will buy you some time~ but if you're pullin the heads anyway, upgrade. Send me the casting number & date codes from those heads (inside the VC), and I'll tell you what they're off of. Find the right buyer/seller/trader and you could end up with good late model heads for your worn out "humpers"~ and maybe even some extra cash. If they're matches to the 327 block better still~ could be a small gold mine under the CJ's hood. Valve size on a stock 327's a non-issue, and in fact you'll get better mileage with smaller intakes than the prized performance 1.94'' or larger valves.

Peace~

Scott

Currently it has 4.27 gears with a Detroit locker, 327 SBC, SM465 trans and Dana 18 T-case. Well, I have committed myself with this plan of making 30-40 mpg and still being able to hit the trails, just not as fast. I have spent hours planning, calculating shift points and searching threads for information that will help put this project in motion. here is what i have so far. CJ5 with a 65 327 SBC small journal crank, Camel back heads and an old school Torker Intake. i am not liking the idea of Gasoline under the seats plus the SBC will not provide the MPG i want to see. the 327 is on Craigslist to be sold and i already have the VW Diesel from Quality German Auto parts in Ontario, 909 390 6979. next i will be ordering an Adapter for the engine to a Toyota pickup bellhousing 22R - W56. there is another adapter from OTT Industries in canada, 604 539 1818. that Ron there will be making an adapter for me. this will mate the Toyota Bellhousing to my SM465 transmission. I will post more pics and info later as this project gets rolling.

Oops~ that's what I get for walking away and not pushing "send"... :lol:

If you've got a locker you've already got the good axle in back~ yes?

Zukikrawler.com has some good info on the diesel swap....

Scott

Unless they've been changed, 61's came with Dana 18 axles~ do NOT jump on it or you'll be goin home either in front wheel drive~ or on the hook. Upgrade to D30/D44's f/r ASAP. Dana 30's lend themselves well to disc brake conversions if you can't find one already so equipped, and the D44 in back will handle all the power and crawling you'll ever need for a "family rig". Your rear diff appears to be offset~ BAD for u-joint life and rear pinion/bearings. SWAG'in that you're runnin 31" tires the 327 should do okay at mild freeway speeds (32-3300rpm @ 55), but reducing that'd give you better economy. 465? That powertrain combo adds up to a LOT of extra cast iron over the original 2300# curb weight. Use all the due diligence you can muster if you decide to chance towing with such a short (81") wheelbase and 4 wheel drum brakes. Find out how many miles the 327's got on it. Those heads have neither induction-hardened seats nor pressed in seats (unless they've been added), and will wear out in short order on unleaded gas~ probably 30-40k max, and cut that in half if it's been run hard or lean. Stainless valves will buy you some time~ but if you're pullin the heads anyway, upgrade. Send me the casting number & date codes from those heads (inside the VC), and I'll tell you what they're off of. Find the right buyer/seller/trader and you could end up with good late model heads for your worn out "humpers"~ and maybe even some extra cash. If they're matches to the 327 block better still~ could be a small gold mine under the CJ's hood. Valve size on a stock 327's a non-issue, and in fact you'll get better mileage with smaller intakes than the prized performance 1.94'' or larger valves.

Peace~

Scott

i have ditched the rear Dana 41 with the 5.38's and installed a Dana 44 in the rear with 4.27's and Detroit locker. as for rear brakes, i do have 67 Mustang disc's and calipers set up for the rear Dana 44. i will be swapping to disc's up front when i source all the parts i need. i would rather spend Half the $ finding the parts rather than buying the kit. i have no intention running this jeep aggressively hence the very small diesel. i want to basically putt this in the mountains and deserts prospecting for gold and exploring nature. as for the 327 engine.

here are the Casting #'s

back of the block 3782870

front of the block F05I4HA

cyl head # 8782461

I have had a few hand-jobbers interested in it so far, i just haven't had anyone pony up with cash. i feel, this engine is a good deal. it is not tired at all. it is very smooth and powerful.

• 2 months later...

Well the latest is, the 327 has been pulled and sold. I now have my Adapter from OTT Industries. I have to give a Very BIG Thanks to Ron @ OTT Industries for making my part!!!! I know one off items are not always an easy thing to get done, especially for a good price. I have verified that i have plenty of pilot bearing and input shaft engagement. this had me worried about being short on the input shaft, since i have both the ACME adapter and the OTT adapter.

IMG01090-20120416-1444.jpg

IMG01091-20120416-1524.jpg

i have been steadily buying the parts i need so this project will start moving a bit faster along. though, i have an engine overhaul on the Kids 79 Diesel Rabbit going that needs to be completed first.

• 2 months later...

the status so far is, the fab work is in process for the drivers side engine mount, pass side is the stock Euro spec jetta mount should be perfect. It does look like the Alternator will be very tight when engine is installed but should have clearance. I still need the pilot bushing re-machined to fit the trans input, waiting on machine shop. the injectors have been reconditioned. the EGR has been blocked off and eliminated. the bell-housing has been installed on the trans not pictured i have bigger hardware bolting the bell-housing to adapter. remote oil filter and oil cooler with fan is ready for install once engine is in. it is getting closer.....

Jeepbelhousinginstalled.jpg

jeepEGRblockoffplates.jpg

jeepdriverssideenginemountdesigne.jpg

Jeepoilfilteradapterdriversmount.jpg

Jeeppasssideenginemount.jpg

• 4 months later...

just started working on this jeep again, bouncing from one project to the next. here is the latest. The bellhousing bolts up to the SM-465 trans and fits perfect. Just made the bracket and spacers for the clutch slave. i decided to use the chevy clutch fork and T/O bearing. the T/O bearing will require a bit of machining and spacing get it up to the pressure plate. i will post pics of that part later.

IMG-20121101-00327.jpg

IMG-20121101-00326.jpg

IMG-20121101-00325.jpg

starting the FAB and design of the drivers side engine mount. i plan on using fluid filled mounts from ford or toyota. whatever one has the best size. once the T/O bearing is done the engine goes in and mounts will be finished.

IMG-20121025-00304.jpg

jeep11.jpg

jeep22.jpg

It would be nice to have a grand to drop on the Saturn OD. someday maybe. today, i removed all of the steering and the column, basically tossing that sh!t and starting fresh. looking for the parts to convert this over to a Saginaw PS box. Advanced Adapters has a nice kit. its just i want no part in spending 800 clams on my steering components. i think i can piece it for less hopefully. i made my drivers motor mount bracket. not very pleased on how it turned out. my welder seemed very inconstant while welding it up. i figured out the motor mounts i need. ordered them up. 1970 Mopar rubber motor mount for the left side of engine and 1995 ford transmission mount with fluid dampening for the passenger side. hopefully this will make it a little smoother. i spec'd everything on paper how it will go together. felt like i was in 7th grade again. more pics later...

download.jpg

so today, i went buck wild with the tape measure and my protractor. then cut all of my pieces for the mounts. don't have the extra $ to splurge for laser cutting like i did for my Duster's engine swap. so i settled for the sawzall method. welded them up. i swear my welder has a Gremlin. it welded like crap the finally it decided to weld half decent. and the fontana wind wasn't much of a help either. so far i have everything almost ready to be bolted in.

1mount12.jpg

2jeepmounts1.jpg

3mounts3.jpg

4photo.jpg

5mountsin.jpg

here are the engine mounts and brackets. my goal was to have fluid mounts on both sides but as it is. there wasn't any room for that on the drivers side. so i have to try this early 70's Mopar V8 mount to see if it will work out. the passenger side is a ford mount PN 2813.

SanBernardino-20121110-00370.jpg

IMG-20121110-00369.jpg