Miller's '69 521 j16

miller

Hello Ratsun,

I just picked up my first Datsun and am very excited to get 'er going, I figure I'm going to need help at some point so here's my thread. When I first picked up my truck it was sketchy to say the least, the brakes didn't work, parts were all over the place, etc. I'm broke so instead of being smart and towing it I just fired it up and drove it 100miles till I ran out of gas( gauges weren't working) It made for a good story... LOL.

6297151334_5a5b9c2fc3.jpg

521 by mtbmiller, on Flickr

Once I got it home I started scraping all the crud off and finally got a good look at it.

6296612537_3772f2236b.jpg

side by mtbmiller, on Flickr

6296612391_104782f334.jpg

front by mtbmiller, on Flickr

6297142600_e9a92088a2.jpg

inside by mtbmiller, on Flickr

6297142866_ed03291a7e.jpg

bed by mtbmiller, on Flickr

I soon realized that what I thought was a j13 was instead a j16. After a lot of research I found out that this is a south american version, which I will be able to bore of to a 1.8 or bigger at some point in time. It's running surprisingly well for how many wires are cut and hoses capped.

So far I've taken as much stuff off the block as I could to asses, clean, and re-paint. I've changed the valve cover gasket, intake/exhaust, hoses, and will replace this alternator with an internally regulated one. It's a work in progress but here's a couple more pics,

6296611945_2121d1f900.jpg

paint by mtbmiller, on Flickr

6296611697_efc564a23c.jpg

parts by mtbmiller, on Flickr

6296612195_d346afcca1.jpg

engine by mtbmiller, on FlickrAs of now I'm waiting for brake lines/parts from rock auto and I need some electrical parts to wire my new alt.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looks good dude.... i'm doin all that shit in my spare time to my rig as well.

if you don't want the battery in there just get a dry cell like a small odyssey relocate it behind the seat or wherever... you can mount them upside down sideways...etc.

keep up the good work and nice truck

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the support!

I've been making a lot of progress the last couple days. I got my brakes working a little bit better by replacing, the front lines, pads, and springs. I did run into a snag when I tried to thread the lines I bought from rockauto into the bleeders, the threads didn't quite line up so I had to tap new ones. Besides that things went pretty smooth.

I've also been trying to clean up the engine compartment. I removed some of the unused wiring and plan to move the fuse's and battery into the cab.

6387287393_a30ceba4af.jpg

wiring by mtbmiller, on Flickr

I replaced the alt with a new gm internally regulated one, it fit nicely after a put a couple spacers on the mounting bolts.

6387288433_eb353c41fd.jpg

new alt by mtbmiller, on Flickr

My motor is really starting to come together, I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and a couple randoms. Running strong with a nice idle. So the following day I started on my interior, I put down Mass Loaded Vinyl to stop some noise.

6387280807_a32aa801a2.jpg

cab by mtbmiller, on Flickr

6387283627_f80e3f53f6.jpg

sound work by mtbmiller, on Flickr

I decided to strip the dash, this is what it looked like before. fawking ugggggggggggggly.

6387281401_6da67bf218.jpg

dash by mtbmiller, on Flickr

With winter coming up fast it was time to get the windsheild wipers going, after cleaning the contacts in the switch it started right up! I also greased the pivots while the dash was off which helped big time.

Before

6387271271_9c613a964a.jpg

switch before by mtbmiller, on Flickr

After

6387277181_485ce8fdb6.jpg

switches after by mtbmiller, on Flickr

I can't decide what to do with the instrument panel, for now I took it apart and cleaning all the contacts. I think I might remove it entirely and make a wood face with burned in spedo markings, I really like look of wood parts on classic cars.

6387277251_e7ef872275.jpg

gauges by mtbmiller, on Flickr

Next up I'm putting down carpet and replacing my window felt, maybe more if it doesn't rain.

• 4 weeks later...

I've decided its time to swap to a modern motor set up. Any body know what I should sell the J16 motor/trannny for? It needs valve work, compression is low in cyl. 3.

All acc included

New Valve cover and Exhast gaskets

Carb was Professionally rebuilt by Contra Costa Carb

GM Alternator

New Hoses and coolantt

Cap, rotor, plugs, and wires

Trans and Diff fluid

Electronic fuel pump and filters

6519312613_d16f67e72d.jpg

GOPR0421 by mtbmiller, on Flickr

nice pics n work ! looks good ~!

*like the mass loaded vinyl !

-how much and where did u get such a small amount?

*the wood dash sounds really cool! love to see it !

Thanks

I got the vinyl from a friend at a music recording studio, it works great.

I am very interested in how you did the carpetting

It was actually pretty easy. I bought about 10ft of the thin carpet from homedepot, cut it to form then fit, next it was fastened in down with self tapping screws. For the doors I cut door skins to replace the panels then glued and screwed the carpet down. I fit the carpet in one piece which came out pretty even except for one fold in the center. You might want to do it in 3 pieces.