Anyone want to buy new 320 vent window rubbers?

ol' 320

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

So, I was at the wrecking yard today and ran across a nice looking set of B2000 series mazda wingwindow seals, so I bought them, they were like $2.00 each, so it's not going to break the bank. I had an NL320 window frame out of the door in the back, so I removed the wingwindow, unfortunately I had to drill the upper pivot, as that has a rivit holding it.

DSCN0282.jpg

After the seal was out, I noticed the first differance, the 320 seal is held on the same way all the way around, the mazda seal is not, two sides are like the 320 seal, the front and bottom, the back side is held in position exactly the opposite way, which is going to be an issue.

DSCN0335.jpg

DSCN0333.jpg

DSCN0320.jpg

DSCN0336.jpg

So I installed the mazda seal into the 320 frame and ran into another issue, it is slightly shorter, I was able to stretch it a little, but it wants to return to its stock shape, so I put the wingwindow back into position to hold the seal, but it wants to pull away from the frame.

DSCN0301.jpg

DSCN0299.jpg

DSCN0287.jpg

DSCN0285.jpg

DSCN0283.jpg

And this is what I ended up with, it doesn't quite fit, and the rear portion going from the top to the bottom doesn't really want to stay in position, as nothing is holding there anyway.

DSCN0287.jpg

DSCN0283.jpg

I suppose it could be sealed/glued into position using weather sealer compounds, and the rubber might be able to be stretched permanently on a board or something holding it there for an undetermined amount of time, till it holds the new shape/length.

I have not decided if this is going to work yet, and one corner split when I was trying to stretch it.

DSCN0300.jpg

I made a wingwindow rubber stretcher this morning.

DSCN0340.jpg

I am going to leave it in there for a while. see if it will hold the new length, then will look into the rear side mount issue, guess I should have bought the mazda frame also, maybe it could be cut(the edge that is differant) out and added to the 320 frame somehow.

I wonder if putting a little bit of heat to it for a long time (like 48 hours at 150 degrees) would help?

I'm going to leave it in the stretcher for a week, then pull it out and check it against the other one.

I think the biggest issue is going to be how the upright mounts, the front and bottom are fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Wayno, any further info on the mazda seals?? Im totally stressin the fact for when im ready to put the glass and seals back in my truck, you said b2000 series, from 1980-85??....and the upright has no way of holding itself in place since they were designed differently, is it an issue when the wing is both open and closed or only when its open, if it could be used but only for looks I could handle that considering my originals are total shot...

I made that stretcher, but it wasn't stretching it enough, so I made a longer one, and it is in it now.

I went back to the wrecking yard the next day and bought the mazda window frames, my plan is to cut the the part that is missing on are frames out of it, and here is my issue, the NL320 frames are stainless steel, so that is an issue for me, all I can do is glue/epoxy the piece into position, unlike L320 frames which it could be welded in as they are not SS.

Here is a couple of photos of the part that is differant than our frames, are frames do not have anything protruding outward.

DSCN0386.jpg

DSCN0389.jpg

I installed the seal today, it actually was almost to big, as you can see in the photos, the upper area doesn't seat well yet as I have not looked into the rear upright mounting yet, and that would normally hold that part in position. Are the mazda seals still available? I found a good set, but that might not happen very often. All the damage to the corners on this seal were caused by me BTW.

Here are the photos, my camera is not that good under house lights, I probably deleted 30 to 40 photos just getting these 8 photos.

DSCN0425.jpg

DSCN0423.jpg

DSCN0422.jpg

DSCN0411.jpg

DSCN0410.jpg

DSCN0409.jpg

DSCN0434.jpg

DSCN0426.jpg

OK, I reinstalled the mazda wingwindow seal back into the NL320 frame, and it fits fine.

If you look close at the back upright edge, you can see the strip of metal holding the rear of the gasket strait, this is going to be an issue for NL320 owners, I have not tried to cut the back edge of that piece yet to make it narrow enough to slip in between the NL window frame uprights, and I am not sure I am even going to try for two reasons, one the way it is I can weld that piece to my 63 L320 frame if that is the route I choose to go as it is not stainless steel, the other reason for me is why, my NL320 wingwindows don't leak air at the moment.

If we are to use a gasket to have molds made, I think it would be just better to use a 320 gasket, instead of a modified mazda gasket.

The rear part needs to be connected to the upright, mine is not right now, so when I put the wingwindow in, I had to help the gasket back to close the window

DSCN0488.jpg

DSCN0484.jpg

DSCN0496.jpg

DSCN0495.jpg

DSCN0493.jpg

DSCN0492.jpg

DSCN0491.jpg

DSCN0490.jpg

DSCN0497.jpg

The only way I see to make this work properly on a L320, is to cut the rear L320 upright out of the frame, and weld the mazda one in its place, as they are both just steel, but the gasket would still need stretched, but I beleave it would work in the end.

Did you try and add heat? How about boiling water? And the rubbers you were using were not new were they? New ones would be a bit more pliable.

I bet if you had new rubber and added some type of low heat to it, they would squish around a bit and re-mold themselves.

I just spent at least half an hour trying to get my camera to focus on the gasket instead of the background, here is what the upright part of the gasket looks like on the datsun gasket.

DSCN0517.jpg

DSCN0514.jpg

This is what the mazda gasket looks like,

DSCN0523.jpg

DSCN0522.jpg

DSCN0546.jpg

DSCN0535.jpg

DSCN0525.jpg

As you can see, the mazda gasket does not have the groves on the outside of the gasket, they are on the inside, this is a problem for the NL320s, and a pain all the way around for the L320 also.

Quote;

Did you try and add heat? How about boiling water? And the rubbers you were using were not new were they? New ones would be a bit more pliable.

Answer;

No they were not new, but they were in really good shape, and I was able to stretch them to the length needed, that is not the issue, the issue is there is nothing holding the back edge in position, now I have not tried using "weatherstrip adhesive" as that would be more or less permanent.

I am going to have to think about this some more.

What about scoring or cutting a groove? You could use the stretcher to hold the rubber while you used a thin cutoff wheel (.035") to make a groove. Not the cleanest solution, but remember, there is not a solution yet for 320 owners. This Mazda rubber, with a bit of modifying and probably a few ruined rubbers, might be the ticket.

I just had another thought. What about burning the groove in it? I have a tire grooving iron that would do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I copied, and pasted "EarlyDatsun Group Yahoo", it sent me to some yahoo page that said nothing about "Datsuns", everything I searched that said early datsun kept going to that page, that page kept trying to put cookies on my computer that also had nothing to do with datsuns. Do you have a direct link to this group/club? I have a 63 L320 with a 62 grill, I am wondering if you have the same body style, or is early 62 differant than the 63-65 body style? This is my 63 with the 62 grill.

DSCN0573.jpg

Hi Will get back to you on this - just saw reply. ( may have the '63 but must check)

Sadie10023

• 4 weeks later...

I would be in for a set of the seals as well. Depending on the price.

As you can see, the mazda gasket does not have the groves on the outside of the gasket, they are on the inside, this is a problem for the NL320s, and a pain all the way around for the L320 also.

What do you mean a pain all the way around? Are the seals different on the L320 than the NL320? Or do you mean it is the same?

I would be in for a set of the seals as well. Depending on the price.

What do you mean a pain all the way around? Are the seals different on the L320 than the NL320? Or do you mean it is the same?

A pain all the way around means it's a hassle, and there isn't an easy fix that I have thought of yet.

There is also the issue of mazda seals more than likely being NLA.

The rear upright of the seal is made differantly.

• 1 month later...

I sent a set(L&R) of L320 wingwindow vent gaskets off a few days ago to see if they can be copied(molds made), I am going to wait for a reply on if they are in good enough shape to attempt a mold, I sent the best set I had.

I will let everyone know if I hear anything, good or bad.

wayno

I ended up talking to ol' 320 about this a while back and then promptly ended up losing his email address. Anyways another option which has minimal start up cost is 3D printing and Objet has rubber like materials available. However a 3D model would need to be created, but afterwards they could basically be made to order without an upfront cost. Still not that cheap but not ridiculous either (cost can be calculated based on volume).

http://www.globalspec.com/FeaturedProducts/Detail/Objet/TangoPlus_Rubber_Like_Flexible_Material/53294/