Anyone want to buy new 320 vent window rubbers?

ol' 320

I haven't been following this, but I just cruised through it.....

Couple of thoughts.... Steve Epperly, owner of ZTherapy may have an NOS set....someone might try contacting him for a loaner...I doubt he'd sell any since he has a bunch of NL's.

Also.....I know you guys love the wing windows, but what about a single window conversion? The stainless can be tig welded if need be, so it might work for some of you.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been following this, but I just cruised through it.....

Couple of thoughts.... Steve Epperly, owner of ZTherapy may have an NOS set....someone might try contacting him for a loaner...I doubt he'd sell any since he has a bunch of NL's.

Also.....I know you guys love the wing windows, but what about a single window conversion? The stainless can be tig welded if need be, so it might work for some of you.

I don't expect to see them vent gaskets again Mike, so sending a new NOS set would have been unexceptable I am sure.

I have a NOS set of 521 vent gaskets, and the only way they will leave this house is installed on one of my 521s, I wouldn't expect any differant from anyone else.

I just had a thought. Has anybody tried Nissan for these? I don't mean the dealer, I mean corporate. There is a huge Datsun/Nissan museum in Japan at the Zama production facility. There they employ people who's full time job it is to restore and maintain old Datsuns. Wouldn't it be worth a shot?

I received some bad news about this a couple days ago, they wanted $2000.00 for each mold, that's $4000.00 for the molds, that's $80.00 for each gasket if 25 sets were to be ordered, then the gasket still has to be made, and then there is still all the shipping costs, to get them here, and to get them to me, and then to get them to you.

We are still looking for a better deal elsewhere, have not given up yet.

wayno

I like the idea of printing them. It is a rapidly evolving technology, and the machines are not that expensive. The most expensive part of the project would be having someone draw you a 3D part.

Drawing the 3D part is not that bad, it just requires a bit of a learning curve. Autodesk inventor student version is free and will easily generate the STL files needed. Several of the 3D printing communities have people you can hire out to do 3D design, and the costs are reasonable.

Hey Wayno,

At my work we have a company that makes custom rubber parts for us, our contact guy is here in the states. I will try to get his contact info, maybe he can help us out.

I have looked the companys web site before, for some reason I remember that they use 3d technology.

Hey Wayno,

At my work we have a company that makes custom rubber parts for us, our contact guy is here in the states. I will try to get his contact info, maybe he can help us out.

I have looked the companys web site before, for some reason I remember that they use 3d technology.

I am not going to be picky about how we get these made, but they are going to have to be at a reasonable price.

Some other guys were talking about this route, but I am up here in washington, and all them kind of companys are/seem to be in california, that's a long ways away from me.

The roadster guys are getting theres for about $110.00 plus shipping, so as I see it, 320 vent gasket sets are going to have to come in somewhere close to that, or they just aren't going to sell.

Ture that.

Send me your contact info,, as soon as I get it I will get it to ya.

BTW, they parts that they make for us is dirt cheap.

They are made overseas, but the rep is here is the states.

• 2 weeks later...

Ture that.

Send me your contact info,, as soon as I get it I will get it to ya.

BTW, they parts that they make for us is dirt cheap.

They are made overseas, but the rep is here is the states.

I sent you a PM with my info Thane, I would be interested in getting these parts made if possible. wayno

There are already molds in Taiwan. Maybe contact the likely companies and ask if they will do a run of a hundred or so? Or contact the malaysian weatherstrip sellers, they may have contacts.

That's what I was saying about the Datsun Museum in Japan. Call them (or email) and see if they have resources. They have to.

What do you mean "There are already molds in Taiwan"? Who has them and why and how?

How can you call or email them? They are not open to the public, and don't even offer english tours. The museum most likely uses New Old Stock -- they wouldn't need to make new 320 rubbers as long as a supply of nos parts can be found. Look carefully at the cars in the Zama museum. Some of them are missing parts!

Old worn Datsun tooling was acquired by Taiwan companies. For example, they are making new 620 fenders and weatherstripping right now. But not many 320 parts, perhaps because the demand is too low. But if they had an order, maybe they would. The companies are ones you never heard of. They don't sell retail, but sell orders of 100 or more to distributors. The hard part would be to find out who has what capability, since they aren't currently making them.

I also wonder about Scott's Old Rubber, if they had a quantity order, would they do it? They make vent rubbers for some 60s Datsuns.

How can you call or email them? They are not open to the public, and don't even offer english tours. The museum most likely uses New Old Stock -- they wouldn't need to make new 320 rubbers as long as a supply of nos parts can be found. Look carefully at the cars in the Zama museum. Some of them are missing parts!

I found contact info for them online. It is a car comunity afterall, and what's the worst they could say? No?

Old worn Datsun tooling was acquired by Taiwan companies. For example, they are making new 620 fenders and weatherstripping right now. But not many 320 parts, perhaps because the demand is too low. But if they had an order, maybe they would. The companies are ones you never heard of. They don't sell retail, but sell orders of 100 or more to distributors. The hard part would be to find out who has what capability, since they aren't currently making them.

I go to SEMA and AAPEX every year (1st week of November in Vegas). AAPEX is where all the global parts companies come to network and make deals, I could make some inquiries this year when I go. I've had a few rare parts made in Taiwan from old examples.

• Like 1

I go to SEMA and AAPEX every year (1st week of November in Vegas). AAPEX is where all the global parts companies come to network and make deals, I could make some inquiries this year when I go. I've had a few rare parts made in Taiwan from old examples.

This would be awesome/great AZhitman, the more people trying, the more likely it will happen eventually.

Touch base with me in October. If you have a fairly decent one we can use as an example, that'll help.

I really need someone who can speak the language - that gets a LOT more accomplished when you're there...