DrewNukesEm's '69 Datsun 521 - Project: Ratsun

DrewNukesEm

Hello all! This is my ‘69 Datsun 521 1600cc I will be rescuing this weekend most likely. I’m not sure of the history of the truck, my buddy works for a towing company and got a call to come pick it up out of the middle of a field a little while back, so he called and let me know because he knows I have a thing for Datsun’s and a few other cars. I’ll be swooping it up for scrap cost because that’s what the other road would be for the poor thing if I wasn’t to get it. It seems to be mostly original although it is definitely in rough shape, and from the looks of it, sat in that field for a while. I intend to make it my tinker project for the next few months, but keeping it somewhat original, and ratty, so it’s obvious this is the forum for me! I don’t know what I will be running into, but I would love to hear comments and suggestions as I go and will try to stay updated with pictures and whatnot. This isn’t my first Datsun, I had a beater ‘77 B210 a few years back and it was one of the best cars I’ve ever owned, but I think a 521 is stepping up the coolness factor a few notches on the Datsun scale. I’m looking forward to the project and hearing from experienced Ratsun guys. Boy she's a beaut! I like those green walls.

Take care.

-Drew

003.jpg004.jpg012.jpg011.jpg013.jpg006.jpg007.jpg010.jpg005.jpg009.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remove as much of the weight as you can if you're gonna buy it at scrap price.

Might be a diamond.

Get some.

For sure man, he's my buddy so it'll probably be next to nothing.. I should have added that he's going to empty the bed for me, and deliver it to me for free as well. Can't wait to get cleanin' and wrenchin' on it, see what I'm in for.

where in oregon are you? :) i like seeing 521s show up here! USUALLY the kingpins go bad on these trucks, not too hard to replace if you have a machine shop nearby. slightly random, but it was something i did not think of when i was going through my 521 until i read it on here. just a heads up ;)

keep the pictures coming

It's a 69 L block, score.:cool: My 69 had a J block. Looks like the little truck has been missing a little love lately, but times are changing I think. Good job on the photos, we like photos.:lol: I think it needs a bath, soon.:lol: Do you have any idea why it was put into the field to rot away, engine? I'll ask also, where in oregon?

where in oregon are you? :) i like seeing 521s show up here! USUALLY the kingpins go bad on these trucks, not too hard to replace if you have a machine shop nearby. slightly random, but it was something i did not think of when i was going through my 521. just a heads up ;)

keep the pictures coming

I live outside Independence. Thank you for the heads up!

It's a 69 L block, score.:cool: My 69 had a J block. Looks like the little truck has been missing a little love lately, but times are changing I think. Good job on the photos, we like photos.:lol: I think it needs a bath, soon.:lol: Do you have any idea why it was put into the field to rot away, engine? I'll ask also, where in oregon?

I was pretty stoked to see the 1600 under the hood as well. It has been missing alot of love from the looks of it, and I hope to give it the attention that it deserves. I will be posting as many photos as possible, and I agree it is in major need of a deep cleansing! I have no idea at all of why it was left to waste away, my buddy who picked it up said when he went, there wasn't even anyone to meet, he just got a call to come get it. I'm located just outside Independence.

great looking little truck. looks pretty complete. I would ditch the rear bumper and get that motor running. oh wow you even have the windshield washer bag! welcome. this place is awesome. :thumbup:

great looking little truck. looks pretty complete. I would ditch the rear bumper and get that motor running. oh wow you even have the windshield washer bag! welcome. this place is awesome. :thumbup:

Thank you. I was quite impressed with the "kangaroo" windshield washer fluid bag as well.. I'll get a close up photo of it for everyone soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I saw that truck from the road , located like 5 minutes outta monmouth off 99 i believe, i was driving by one day saw it , pulled over and no one was there; I am a student up at western and live in albany where i have 2 buddies that have 521's, i have been looking for one like a hawk , thats the reason i spotted that one so easy. If you know of any 520s, 521s or 620s let me know. I have been wanting a datsun or vw again for awhile , driving a hyundai gets old. I was going to ask about that VW he ha sbut it looks a little to far gone.