howo to fix a radiator leak temporarily if you're stranded with some ground pepper

Zfighter76

some of you may know this but i just thought i'd share because it came in handy for me. my radiator developed a leak without me noticing the other day and the engine began to overheat. i pulled over and my friend that was with me told me a trick someone had told him, that ground pepper will stop a leak temporarily. i walked from where my car was to the liquor store and bought 2 gallons of distilled water and some ground pepper, and thought wtf, its worth a shot. i first poured the pepper in (a handful, more couldn't hurt too much i'd imagine) and then with the engine running poured the water in until it was full. i made sure the water was moving and the thermostat was open and then went on my way. believe it or not the pepper actually blocked the hole that was otherwise squirting out profusely and i was able to make it 4 miles back to a friends house. on the way home from there(another mile) it burst again, but again it worked very nicely temporarily. just some handy information.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Running with the cap loose slows the loss as well. The cooling system doesn't build up any pressure and force the coolant out.

For unexplained overheating (other than an obvious leak) run the heater at full hot and fan. The heater core is just an extra rad.

I've also heard of a raw egg in the rad. It will poach and the soft chunks will block any holes. Easy to flush out later. I don't recommended this.

Also several cans of condensed milk. If you have ever used it in coffee you'll notice that the holes on the can top always plug up after a few pours.

• Like 1

Running with the cap loose slows the loss as well. The cooling system doesn't build up any pressure and force the coolant out.

For unexplained overheating (other than an obvious leak) run the heater at full hot and fan. The heater core is just an extra rad.

thats another good thing is the heater. also though, if it is really overheating you dont wanna run with the cap off because the extra pressure raises the boiling point and thus prevents boiling. boiling will more than likely lose more water than a small leak, due to boiling over, and steaming out to add to that.

I once heard that you could use a raw egg. Crack it and drop it in the radiator and as the water heats up, the egg will cook and fill the holes. Make sure to flush the system well once you fix the radiator.

i tried this once also on my moms car, worked well until the pressure proved too great. also a tip for this one is to mix the yolk and egg white before putting the egg in. otherwise the yolk kinda just sits on top of the tubes and doesnt go through easily.

Oatmeal. Quaker oats.

would that be similar to rice? i wouldnt try it, too thick of particles to go into the radiator passages. i dont thing it would work for anything except clogging the waterways and further contributing to the overheating.

thats another good thing is the heater. also though, if it is really overheating you dont wanna run with the cap off because the extra pressure raises the boiling point and thus prevents boiling. boiling will more than likely lose more water than a small leak, due to boiling over, and steaming out to add to that.

With the cap off the engine can't get hotter than 212. (ok as long as you have a ready supply of water around) I don't know what a 14 lb cap will raise the boiling point to.

With the cap off the engine can't get hotter than 212. (ok as long as you have a ready supply of water around) I don't know what a 14 lb cap will raise the boiling point to.

254. for every pound of pressure the boiling point raises 3 degrees. 14x3=42 42+212=254.

SO now i know i can use my datsun to cook my breakfast... lol.

Now the real question is, what liquor stores ahve peper and distilled water??? lol mine only sells booze!

he is from cali. us easterners dont drink alcoholic beverages with pepper and water in them. who knows what they do over there. they must be weird if they have all those rules and regulations

liquor stores on the west coast basically equate to mini marts. i now remember how it was in jersey and new york, only booze in booze store, but i was only born there, have lived here since i can remember. but yeah, here they have everything from corona to condoms to candy bars and everything in between, but im sure some only have liquor. and a 14 lb. cap raises the pressure 14 lb. over our atmosphere (14 lb.) and with pressure comes higher boiling point and higher freezing point. but if all your worried about is losing water than i guess it would work. for overheating you definitely don't wanna do that.

and what is weird is you easterners getting your gas pumped by the attendant(maybe not in georgia because they didn't do it for me theretongue.gif). gas prices are already high, why would i wanna tip a guy for putting a nozzle in my tank? i'll just burn a calorie or two and get my lazy ass out of the car and do it myself.

it might be NJ thats its illegal to pump your own gas. that or MA. but hell i cant afford gas. and when i can i always get it in a gas can. what would i do then hand it to him and say "a gallon please, sir" like i'm 5 and cant pull a little trigger?

" like i'm 5 and cant pull a little trigger?

thats what im saying. what fucking state would make that a law? i guess its courteous to pump your customers gas in the frigid winters but its just promoting our nations laziness. and you dont even have to hold the lever, you can just put the lever set on and leave it. it even stops on its own when its full.

for real. i guess i'm kinda lazy since i get mad when the lever doesnt work, but i sure as hell am not lazy enough to pay some old dude to pump it for me. if gas was like 2.50 i might consider it but it kinda isnt. its about 335 here ATM.