1986 720 Duelly Drum Brake Removal

HumanoidThe23rd

Hey guys. So we finally got my truck running. We took it for a spin around the hood with the hood off for about 5 mins, then the clutch failed and the rear brakes locked up. So we are trying to figure out how to open up the rear drums. Its a duelly, we can't find anything about it on alldata or anywhere else online. Its as if the duelly 720 doesn't exist. Do we have to take the hubs off? We can't figure this out. Someone please help.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having a little trouble remembering, I beleave you have to remove the axle first, then there is a couple screws to remove to take a plate/unscrew a plate off, once the plate is off, then you can take the nut/?? off that holds the bearing, then the drum can be removed. It has been a few years since I removed mine to check the brakes. Why did the brakes lock? There has to be a reason, or has it been so long since the truck moved that they just jammed/locked because of lack of use?

Yeah its just been a while since its moved. It sat in my drive way which is a hill for months with only the rear brakes holding it there because the engine wasngt in it. So I'm sure that they're locking up because of that. And a shit load of brake fluid leaked out the rear. And when we popped off the rear drivers side wheels the inner wheel was completely flat. We think because the brake fluid ran down the wheel and past the bead and the tire lost pressure. So we took the axle out and that's where we stopped because we were weirded out by that. Lol but we saw the two screws your talking about. So when I get home from work ima fuck with it and see if I can open it up. Thanks for the help. Ill let you know if we need to know anything else. Seriously though thanks.