Fat510`s 79 A10 warthog

When me and my middle son went to the Ratsun meet in Port Orchard this summer, he took pictures of Elmerfudpuckers 510 wagon and my oldest son saw it. He said that if he was to get a Datsun it would be one like that ..Well if you didn`t know 1979 510 wagons very seldom are on craigslist ,or anywhere for that matter. But i was looking through engine section on here and a guy was asking how to fix head problem. He got some help then the " help " turned mean when they learned he was fixing car for ex-wife or something.......Sooo i sent him a PM asking what he was going to do with car if not fix it. ( something the other members could have done if the TRULY wanted to save every Datsun and not just give lip service ...........But i digress.....
...Went to Renton the next day and picked up wagon for $100. from this old guy that was really into restoring classic Vespas but just didn`t have much Datsun knowledge. The matchbox dizzy was worth the price to me and it had brand new brakes,,,brand frickin new all around..ohmy.gif
.....Car has spent a few months lounging in front of gee-roge and son pulled engine out of 76 620 for head but it looked pretty ugly so did some trading for a closed chamber W58 and some Superlites ...He has since pulled motor from car and i helped him disassemble because of no cross hatch marks but it looks like it has Machinist marks on everything even piston tops ( and the numbers don`t match which usually means slight different bore sizes ) but i have several others so maybe not a real problem..

The day we picked it up

image.jpg

Test fitting wheels

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Truck engine disassemble

emission removal........ AIR pump was frozen

Car had slight head gasket leak

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

These pictures show why we removed engine....(hint ) it`s green

CopyofZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Color code bitches

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• Like 1
  • Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! $100 is less than scrap value. I always thought it was fun to get a car for next to nuthin, try to figure out what things the PO did wrong and get it back together for peanuts with no pressure to fix it before work on Monday or anything. It's cool that you do that with your kids too, I learned a lot from my dad messing around with $100 cars.

• Like 1

Yeah but with the rubber hose tensioner i can run engine without oil pressure and tensioner will still work...So who`s a knucklehead now??

laugh.gif

:rofl:

someone really used a hose for the tensioner, that's awesome.

Well by pure luck it was the car he wanted .....and being kinda ( i wrote kinda Elmer ) less than desirable model if something were to happen ( teenage driver ) not everybody will freak out about it..And you saw at your house he doesn`t mind getting in there and getting after it ...probably because i have been a stay at home dad his whole life and grease monkeying is all he ever knew as a toddler..

Nice! $100 is less than scrap value. I always thought it was fun to get a car for next to nuthin, try to figure out what things the PO did wrong and get it back together for peanuts with no pressure to fix it before work on Monday or anything. It's cool that you do that with your kids too, I learned a lot from my dad messing around with $100 cars.

And Datwifey ........ cool.gif

I gotta say out of all the build threads I like yours the best. Your making some pretty cool cars out of some pretty busted looking cars and it's really cool to see them all get saved. Looking good so far can't wait to see how this one turns out late 510s are my favorite and I am digging the wagon

• Like 1

nice man, i wish my $100 wagon came that complete. mine came as a resto project that stopped at tear down. every single piece was in the back just about...

But yours was a manual...and my son`s.... not so much.:( so you got him beat coolness wise by a mile and pulling away.

We are going to have to retro fit one , and even though i have all the parts to give him it still sucks.

RallyDatto ,, is i wish i had the monies ( or any extra money for that matter ) to purchase your B210

• 1 month later...

So if you have one you need two right??

... Tired of taking engines apart just to find it needs just enough work to have to be bored at machine shop , and he wanted a manual anyways so he ( he digs ditches for his grandpa to make money ) bought this . it`s a 78 so all the parts to switch over will be on it. We were going to buy a 620 with a 5speed strip out what we needed and off the rest but this one popped up again so bought it. The previous owner was getting off that off ramp just outside Battery street tunnel and there were cars stopped just a couple car lengths off road . I think that exact scenario goes through the mind of anyone who takes that exit on a regular basis..huh.gif We were going to paint wagoon electric blue but seats in this car are pretty cool but GREEN

The guys wife loved this car but the strut tower is bent rearward so not really salvageable..PO was a pretty cool dude..Pictures are after we ripped front end off with F250 and a chain to get crushed battery out.

....And one last thing if your not going to buy a fucking Datsun ..don`t tell the fucking owner the Datsun is worth anything ..If you can`t afford it move on don`t randomly call people on Craiglist and make the fucking price higher for the rest of us ..........In other words if your to brokeass to buy, shut the fuck up!!

THANKS.

Anyhoo..

datsun521015.jpg

datsun521014.jpg

datsun521013.jpg

datsun521011.jpg

datsun521020.jpg

datsun521018.jpg

datsun521021.jpg

datsun521023.jpg

• Like 1

Good score. looks like it was well maintained. did some moron really call him and tell him he should raise the price?:blink: some people...

Yes, whats funny is the person(s) that called told him what all this was worth if he parted it but it`s a smog motor with a stock carb , and a 4 speed trans. He even asked what a matchbox dizzy was ( because they told him was worth $120. bucks ),,I told him i could only describe it, because it ((( IT DIDN`T HAVE ONE!! ))). The car was in his father inlaws driveway so there was no way he was ever going to part it out.

... I had low balled the guy in Sept from two different msn accounts but this time he had dropped it to $500. so my lowballing didn`t seem so low laugh.gif i gave him a little bit more than the scrappers give, but , ya gotta pay to play right.. Guy looked like a Rastafarian and was just the kinda guy i could deal with having kinda long hair myself.

And IZZO . the wheels are only 13" wink.gif i was pretty disappointed..

All we did today was take thermostat out ( because of removed fan )and warm car up just to make sure it isn`t to messed up or cranked somewheres..Although it was only my 13 year old because the kid whos cars it is was doing some crap for children at the elementary school all morning.dry.gifdry.gif

Cameras in phones suck ass...

Dirtrack ......im with ya on the 13s i run them on my 510 but he already has some superlite type 14`s ...The black ones in the picture with him and his brother on hood , it`s the third picture down .. The tires in picture are 215/60/14 but seem a little big so we are probably going with 205/60/14. that we have, or maybe see if i can get a good set of 195/60`s

I was disappointed because the trade value of 14 inch enkei 92s is WAY higher. than 13`s ....And i love to trade

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled engine out of donor green mobile..But before we did ..the 79 runs a short 4speed , very much like old 510s ( square pan ) but the auto we are replacing in car we are fixing is a long tail.. So before we took out engine we test fit a long tail 4speed out of an mid seventies 620 , so that we could see if short driveline ( original to auto ) would bolt right in if we found a truck 5speed ...And to open up our options , sooooo ,, our options ( that are direct bolt ins ) are now short 4speed , dog leg 5speed, 720 changed bell housing 5speed , 620 type 4speed and long tail 5speed..w00t.gif

...When we were closing down for the night a friend rolled up to borrow a 30mm socket , and he mentions " hey i think i got an old long tail 5speed laying around " then takes off THEN reappears with the damn thing...pirate.png...thumbup.gif

Compression numbers of new engine

datsun521035.jpg

datsun521024.jpg

datsun521025.jpg

datsun521026.jpg

datsun521030.jpg

Original trans from donor and 620 4speed

datsun521033.jpg

datsun521029.jpg

New free trans.........

datsun521027.jpg

datsun521028.jpg

datsun521031.jpg

hey muck wanna sell me that oakland datsun dealer plate frame? pretty please? :P

It is broke, and just barely hanging on there , you just can`t tell from pictures..I think the license plate is bent enough to keep it from falling off.

Since it`s Christmas vacation my son got a little done yesterday ..But for a 16 year old i am very happy how much got done..biggrin.gif

The car we are getting going was an auto, but unlike the older 510s the pedal bracket does not include mount for clutch pedal. So he had to take the clutch master and piping AND the under dash unit for use in other car..

First pic shows a rubber snubber that son broke off but he doesn`t remember where.. DO YOU?? .......It`s made out of same type of stuff skate board wheels are made of.confused1.gif

datsun521029-1.jpg

datsun521030-1.jpg

ANYONE???

Here`s what he did ...although not much in terms of EPIC .But he did it all his-self ( while i was in house ) and that`s a start..

He said he didn`t bend metal lines to get out ,sweat.gif,we will see

datsun521025-1.jpg

datsun521027-1.jpg

datsun521026-1.jpg

datsun521028-1.jpg

datsun521031-1.jpg

Since it`s Christmas vacation my son got a little done yesterday ..But for a 16 year old i am very happy how much got done..biggrin.gif

The car we are getting going was an auto, but unlike the older 510s the pedal bracket does not include mount for clutch pedal. So he had to take the clutch master and piping AND the under dash unit for use in other car..

First pic shows a rubber snubber that son broke off but he doesn`t remember where.. DO YOU?? .......It`s made out of same type of stuff skate board wheels are made of.confused1.gif

datsun521029-1.jpg

ANYONE???

Looks like the pad that hits the brake light switch on the brake pedal. Looks like it is missing from this pic:

datsun521027-1.jpg