'78 200sx

Beginer

I feel really stupid having to ask, but has anyone taken off the steering wheel to a '78 200sx. my problem is more the horn button, I have no clue how to get it off. It is not like the steering wheels I'm used to, here is a pic of it 284561_119693014793883_100002595550983_132050_5955912_n.jpg

I can't seem to find some one that has done it, so I'm probably overlooking something simple. Any help would be great.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember correctly, that one actually just slips around a collar. Grab it from the bottom edge (closest to the wheel, behind the cover, near the spokes) and shimmy it around the plate and pull off straight towards you. Heat it up with a hair dryer first to prevent cracks. After it's off, you'll have access to the steering wheel bolt.

From 1979 Factory Service Manual - "Remove horn pad by depressing and turning counterclockwise." Okay, that is the theory. I've tried to remove the one on my SX and couldn't get it to budge, although I didn't want to get too rough with it. I tried it on another SX at Pull n Save, and didn't do any better. So either I'm weak (very possible), or the things can really be on there tight. PLEASE post if you get yours off, and how hard it was to turn off. Next time I go to P&S, I plan to practice on any 280s or similar Datsuns I find. Maybe there is a trick I need to learn. Or start lifting weights.

It looks in your pic like you have the optional adjustable outside mirror. I went to a bit of work taking one of these off a P&S SX, but haven't got it on my car yet. No one drives it but me, so the mirror never needs adjusting.

Len

• 3 weeks later...