I have a computer problem

If i hit any key on the keyboard it creates a inhouse computer search, and I don't know how to turn it off, can anyone help me turn this function off. It will open 30 plus searches and interferes with my typing a responce. It does the same thing in my email replies. It is the magnafying glass in the start menu, everytime I hit a key.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol

you try restarting? make sure there isn't a key stuck down on the keyboard. if its a usb keyboard, unplug it, plug it back in... check the keyboard settings in the control panel. make sure something didn't get turned on that wasn't supposed to. not many options in there, though. so pretty hard to f' it up

id guess a key stuck down or something tho. take your hand, flat, and start from one end of the keyboard and run across it hitting all the keys, make sure nothings stuck down. If that fails, do this

052406_computer_smash.gif

• Like 1

OK, I hit all the lower keys, at first it opened more windows, but the more I pound on the keys, the less it does it. Does this mean I will be needing a new keyboard? In this response it only opened 10 or so windows, when i posted the topic it opened more than a hundred. Thankyou, it is a lot better now. I tried restarting about 3 times this evening, I even restored it to last week. It is a compaq keyboard, and there are no keyboard settings in the control panel, at least none that I can find. It has not opened a window now since the first few words in this response, thankyou very much. It was tough for a while there, I might have typed 3 keys, then had to close 3 windows, it was in the 40 open windows once. Thanks again wayno

lol

you try restarting? make sure there isn't a key stuck down on the keyboard. if its a usb keyboard, unplug it, plug it back in... check the keyboard settings in the control panel. make sure something didn't get turned on that wasn't supposed to. not many options in there, though. so pretty hard to f' it up

id guess a key stuck down or something tho. take your hand, flat, and start from one end of the keyboard and run across it hitting all the keys, make sure nothings stuck down. If that fails, do this

052406_computer_smash.gif

LOL, it did it yesterday eve also, just before I logged off for the night. I mentioned it to a customer of mine this afternoon, and told him it was very aggravating, I also mentioned the hard drive click of death problem it had a while ago when the harddrive gave up, he said something about most people hit the monitor, and my responce was why hit that, the tower is the thing screwing up. I controlled my instincts this time, and did not go get a hammer and threaten it with physical abuse.:D

sounds like it time for a mac, buddy...

lol... shameless plug for the apple side..

From a guy who has never had a problem with a pc in 6 years, apples cant compete, but for wayno it would be perfect.

But I would rather build Wayno a hackintosh than him buy one. You are literally buying a name with macs. I can go out and buy every component in a mac desktop and install OSX for a grand cheaper. I mean OSX even works on my Dell Laptop... as does Linux.

• Like 1

The problem/issue seems to have gone away when Izzy told me to look for stuck keys, so after pounding on the lower row of keys for a few minutes, the issue seems to have gone away, which makes me very happy, as for a while it was type 2 keys/letters, close 2 windows, type 2...............ect. ect. It took forever to post the topic asking for help. :lol: I do not want/need to try to learn how to operate another type of computer, I was unable to figure out that I had a stuck key on this one.

Once when i was a kid, i had moved. After i setup my computer the monitor wouldn't come on. I thought it was the video card, so i replaced it. Still nothing. Turns out i hit the knob on the bottom and turned the contrast all the way down :blink: Lesson learned at a young age :lol:

oh geez... you guys are silly with the neg rep...

in any case, i use a mac 8 hours a day at work.. im apple tech support.

i just dont run into this weird stuff, that everyone with a PC does... not even on my PC..

i was just sayin, it sounds like he needs an upgrade... maybe a dual core and a grip of ram...

I have had an issue again, this time I had to restore the computer to acheive a connection with the internet, and it seems to be dumping me constantly, before I was able to get this far in this post, it already severed/dumped the connection, I have cricket, problem is I don't want to pay $60.00 a month for internet. I wish I was smarter than I am about computers, but I am not. It says I have two connections going at once, something called a 1394 connection under the LAN or high speed internet, and cricket broadband under dial-up, are they both supposed to be on?

wayno, what kinda of hardware are you using in your system?

i dont really care about the OS, but what kinda of computer is this? do you know how much RAM you have in this system? is this an older dell or compaq or somthin? ive never had good luck with these systems with all their bloatware installed..

i understand money is tight in these current economic situations, but i just bought a brand new emachines tower and i havent had an issue with it.. it was $400 from walmart.. its a dual core system with a 750gb HD, and 4GB of ram right outta the box.. it has windows 7 on it, but if you need it to look old, then you can...

i get not everyone likes the mac computers, but a new system looks like its in your cards...

This is what I have, it's a "compaq", I also have "cricket" as an internet provider, which I am just about done with, it is always dropping the connection, and is slower than my diesel engine running on 2 out of the 4 cylinders. In general the computer has been good to me, as it seems that I have to have someone come in about once a year to fix it. I do not go to a lot of differant sites, mostly ratsun, craigslist, and ebay. I went for years without any type of virus protection, that was one of the first things pointed out to me by the "geek squad" when I called them in about a change in internet providers that I tried to do myself, I told them that the reason they were there was because of a virus alright, I was the virus, cause I didn't know what I was doing. They just wanted to sell me anti-virus stuff for a lot of money, and didn't fix a thing, and kept telling me I couldn't do what I wanted to do, and I needed virus protection, so I called another guy in and he fixed everything, he did what the "geek squad" said couldn't be done, and he also set me up with "microsoft security essentials" for free. I have no idea what you mean by "hardware" farmer joe, I have a "epson printer", is that what you are talking about, that's about it.

DSCN1100.jpg

wayno, the picture tells me all... lol

well with this system, if you can, you could load it up with memory... you only have 512MB of ram...

when you fire up windows xp it takes up more than half of that available memory just for the operating system. then your loading up all the other applications and bloatware, which in tern, uses up almost the rest of your memory...

you have to think if your computer as your garage... you have a work desk and then your shelves. the shelves are your hard drive that store your data.

your work table is going to be your RAM.

you have a fairly small work table with 512MB of ram.. if you can imagine your OS as a work book, once you spread out the book of windows on you desk and open up your manual for the browser, youve covered up the most of your work table... not much room to work after that..

another thing is going to be your processor.. its a dual core, and it is a 2.8ghz.. i dont think thats your bottle neck... its is a 6 year old chip tho.. gotta keep that im mind..

at least my suggested would be to load this system up with as much RAM as it can handle... this processor is only a 32bit unit, so this will be 2GB if im correct. with 75% more memory, you should see a bump in performance.. i cant guarantee this will fix that old OS. XP is pretty antiquated and you just gonna have more and more problems the longer you use it. maybe a fresh clean version of XP will help.. not the disk that came with the computer, as that will install all the extra shit the unit came with..

were coming to a point in time where technology is getting cheap enough to get some really quick machines with not alot of investment.. check out some retail stores online to see if you can get a deal on a newer tower.. youd be amazed lol..

• Like 2

this processor is only a 32bit unit, so this will be 2GB if im correct. with 75% more memory, you should see a bump in performance..

32-bit processor AND operating system. Even if he had a 64-bit cpu, but only a 32-bit OS, he'd only be able to run 3.6GB of ram. I'm trying to remember if Compaq used restricted ram like old HP's did.

Hmm, this "should" work with your system. It's compatible with the motherboard family line that is used in your computer.

2GB, $25 shipped. Your system only supports up to 2GB so no sense in trying to get 4GB.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/accessories/B0011XDF84

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I got up this morning and turned on the computer, and didn't notice anything yet, except the computer was a bit slow, taking a long time to load, everything looked fine so far, finally started the email program, no messages, :crying: and went to my favorites, and it was like someone elses computer, I have no idea if all my favorites were there, but the whole thing was reorganized, that's when I noticed some other things also, is this a common thing to have happen?

I did restore my computer to an earlier date, and everything is as it was, but that's a first for me, except for the big meltdown of 2002 and my hard drive crashing last year, but the computer quit working in them instances, it didn't look like someone elses computer.

The desk top image was the same, but half the short cuts were gone.

oh man a lightscribe drive! i wanted one of those for a long time. never ended up getting one and then forgot about them entirely.

hope you can get your computer situated. unlike some of the other folks here i'm not so great at remote diagnosing problems.