camper tie downs?

Grahem

anyone have good pics of how to tie a camper down in a datsun 620? i used the bed hooks last time to move it to my shop but i would like something more secure. Thanks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as a suggestion, look at how the cab mounts are. They are triangular brackets from the frame out with a single hole for the rubber bushings and bolt. A similar bracket with a hole for the camper hooks should work. It would have to extend further out.

What year did it change. My '78 came with it attached to a flat bed and no mounts on the frame. My '78 parts truck... I don't know, never noticed and wasn't under it either. However my Nissan FSM shows it clearly bolted to the bed floor.

Campers usually have camper mounts. My big hurking F250 had a slide-in, and all it had were these brackets that clamped to the bed sides around the rail, then you ran turnbuckles from the camper's built-in tie downs to those.

Modern trucks, they use beams under/attached to the truck frame that stick out past the sides (under the camper, which is slightly wider) and have ties (turnbuckles or even cables) than basically clamp the camper to the truck.

What year did it change. My '78 came with it attached to a flat bed and no mounts on the frame. My '78 parts truck... I don't know, never noticed and wasn't under it either. However my Nissan FSM shows it clearly bolted to the bed floor.

When filling my 4X4 today I looked at the tank mounts... well, wasn't looking at the tank mounts- was trying to figure out why the fuel was running on the ground (the fill tube vent disintegrated). Anyway, it's a '78 short bed, and the tank is mounted to brackets that are attached to the frame, not the bed.

However, I can't say for certain it's stock, as there are unused brackets on the bed that look like a tank could have bolted there... not really a definitive, as the bed has been replaced. But the frame brackets look stock.

I remember when I removed the bed off of a 1978 kingcab that I 'had', the tank was mounted to the frame. I installed a short bed from a 1974 truck and that bed had the gas tank mounted to the bed. I left the '74 tank on the bed and hooked it up that way. :)