My 521 down in the lab...

I just made sure to drop everything right at 3" and it was magically right when I bolted it on :D I swear this truck was made to be body dropped at 3". The core support mounts were 3", the rear bed mounts were 3", all I had to do was cut them off and set it down. and more weird shit worked out in my favor.... Everything is tucked up under the rockers other than the carrier bearing crossmember hangs down a quarter inch. I plan on putting a notch in the trans crossmember for the exhaust to sit up in so that shit wont be scraping. The cool part is that I HAVE MORE GROUND CLARANCE THAN BEFORE! I still have a ways to go such as heater, steering column, seats, wiring and more fun stuff that I'm sure I will run into along the way. such an adventure.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Well its been a few weeks since an update.. some of you may have even thought that i gave up and bought the 210 to replace it. not the case. It just took time to think up how I was going to make the brackets. and some holiday partying of coarse... Coilover fab IS DONE! just need to smooth out the left one and paint it. My buddy showed up at the lab and said "holy shit! you know its just a datsun right?" haha

who needs CAD?

IMG_20111213_152526.jpg

IMG_20111213_152536.jpg

us to 18g my ass. the harbour freight brake bent the 3/16" plate!

IMG_20111213_152550.jpg

IMG_20111219_104654.jpg

IMG_20111220_173100.jpg

IMG_20111219_104722.jpg

IMG_20111220_173157.jpg

IMG_20111220_215951.jpg

IMG_20111220_220003.jpg

IMG_20111219_183420.jpg

and my new winter beater

IMG_20111216_113810.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks everyone! A TIG torch indeed! Its been a little while since ive used it but I wanted to roll it out for this bit on the truck. Im getting really ancy to drive it. At this point I think the same L20 and 4 speed I pulled out are going back in. Up next is to seamseal and paint the cab and get it back on. Then brake lines and wires and that good stuff.

Well I'm glad I can excite you guys with pics of me monkeying around with some metal in my shed! it makes me want to keep working on it! My girl is convinced that I love my datsun more than her because she doesnt see me on my days off. I dont leave the shed. I drink monster and pee out the door.

Z chopper- I could make a kit, but whoever is installing it would have to be handy with a cutoff wheel and know how to weld. I would also make them with a shorter coilover. Mine are 13 1/4" fully extended and I only went with them because I got them off CL for $140. 11" long or so would have been more ideal but I didnt have the $500 for new ones.

Excellent fab work. And i like the use of the longer coilovers, almost every coilover install i have seen has used a super short coilover that limited suspension travel, thus compromising the ride quality that can be so great with coilovers. And these same installs just used a super stiff spring to keep them from bottoming out the shock, again killing the ride quality.

Nice work.

Only one small concern, and it could be the angle of the picture. The welded plate above where the control arm bolts back on looks like it might interfer with the control arm shaft bolting up smooth and flush to the frame. Easily fixed with a grinder to make it fit tight to the frame. And as mentioned, it might be the picture angle, but thought it's importance should be mentioned.

2eDeYe' date='24 December 2011 - 09:30 AM' timestamp='1324744211' post='598776']

Nice coilover solution, I will be thinking of this when I get to mine :cool:

Looks like youre not too far from me, if you need to brainstorm when you do let me know.

Very sweet! I love how the bed fits the frame! Coil over mounts....too cool! :)

I just took and made a template of the frame rail and went from that.

Excellent fab work. And i like the use of the longer coilovers, almost every coilover install i have seen has used a super short coilover that limited suspension travel, thus compromising the ride quality that can be so great with coilovers. And these same installs just used a super stiff spring to keep them from bottoming out the shock, again killing the ride quality.

Nice work.

Only one small concern, and it could be the angle of the picture. The welded plate above where the control arm bolts back on looks like it might interfer with the control arm shaft bolting up smooth and flush to the frame. Easily fixed with a grinder to make it fit tight to the frame. And as mentioned, it might be the picture angle, but thought it's importance should be mentioned.

It is a tight fit, but if you look at the painted one you can see I actually did grind it flat just above the holes. I will get pictures up of them all bolted on!

And thanks everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went to my friends place yesterday and picked up an L20 in really nice shape. Standard bore and still has crosshatching marks in the cylinder walls. Its actually the motor I stole the peanut head off of on my current motor, so I'm taking that back off. I do want to have the head inspected first. Does anyone know of a good machine shop around here? I had carquest do all the machine work on my chev motor and its still running. I might just go back there.

IMG_20120103_155020.jpg

IMG_20120103_155032.jpg

I also scored a porsche 914 seat so hopefully my 6'2" ass will fit in this thing!!! but now I need another....