My 521 down in the lab...

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I got more wire for the welder and finished the brackets that will bolt the two front mounts to the frame.

IMG_20130114_182642.jpg

IMG_20130114_182535.jpg

IMG_20130114_184123.jpg

I plan on making a new crossmember that will bolt the rear mounts to the frame, then cutting out the old one where the original shocks mounted to. But I might not get to that until Sunday or Monday(my days off).. it is just so damn cold out in my shed right now! I think someone is going to come buy my wheels tonight, so that should keep the project moving forward. Fast720, I would keep them, I love the look but it would be too much work to make the 510 IRS a 6lug, and there's no room for adapters. I also want to get smaller wheels, maybe 15" or 14"s.

Konig, they are 16x8 with 195/50 rears and 195/40 fronts, not sure of the offset. I had to hammer the living shit out of my fenders, then rolled them with some 3/4" brass roundbar with the wheels back on.

• Like 1

I managed to get out and do a little more work in my arctic shed... new rear crossmember is made, now I just need to position everything exactly and weld it! IMG_20130122_105737.jpg

IMG_20130122_105754.jpg

IMG_20130122_105949.jpg

I went to get hardware to bolt it all together and got so excited when I pulled up and this was parked out front! IMG_20130117_113444.jpg

I went inside and was able to spot a datsun looking dude, sure enough it was his. His name's jeff or icehouse on here, I told him briefly about my project. He seemed like a cool dude. Its always rad running into fellow ratsuners, makes me stoked to be a part of it.

• Like 1

Excuse me if I am stupid, as I know very little about rear independent suspensions, but are you going to run coil overs in the rear like mrbigtanker is running on his 521 front suspension, QA1 type I believe?

I was looking at my truck and came to the conclusion that I cannot get any lower without notching the frame, and my drums are about the same height as yours are now in the photo above, and I will be bottoming out if I hit any bump at speed.

I guess my question is, is this lowering your truck any more than it is already?

Are you going to be notching your frame back there for the axles?

Ah I know what your you're sayin. It actually tucks in there perfectly, the bottom of the frame and the lowest points on the IRS (front mounts and diff) are both at 5" of ground clearance. Here's a better angle

IMG_20130122_215623.jpg

Also, that pic shows the control arms pushed up near the end of their travel, actual ride height they will sit down another inch or two from the frame. It will have about -4deg camber.

Farmerjoe I'm hoping to make it to canby but I'm planning another trip around the same time so its up in the air right now.

Thanks for the audience and complements! You guys keep me motivated to build.

Wayno, I will just be running coils with a shock mounted outside. It probably won't be much lower than it was, I'm just going for a better ride, and the trick factor too... so no need for a notch. Not yet anyways, until I start thinking that my shits not low enough in a couple months haha.

I went to get hardware to bolt it all together and got so excited when I pulled up and this was parked out front! IMG_20130117_113444.jpg

I went inside and was able to spot a datsun looking dude, sure enough it was his. His name's jeff or icehouse on here, I told him briefly about my project. He seemed like a cool dude. Its always rad running into fellow ratsuners, makes me stoked to be a part of it.

We live right down the road from this place too.   We're out there.... in what seems to be an abundance in the Everett area. ;)

Thanks for the audience and complements! You guys keep me motivated to build.

Wayno, I will just be running coils with a shock mounted outside. It probably won't be much lower than it was, I'm just going for a better ride, and the trick factor too... so no need for a notch. Not yet anyways, until I start thinking that my shits not low enough in a couple months haha.

I was getting at that your independent suspension axles cannot really get any closer to the frame than a solid axle can without hitting the frame, but since you have a body drop, you look/are lower anyway, but you answered my question, that your not really any lower than before, but looking for a better ride.

Does you IRS stop/limit before the axles can touch the frame, it's one thing for a solid axle to bottom out, but it's totally another thing for a rotating mass to start hitting things.

I am not trying to be negative, I ask questions and learn, as I am not there to see exactly how what you are doing works.

I am thinking about notching my frame, but I don't want to cut the box up, so I am leaning towards a old school large pipe notch with a bump stop beside it on the inside, and frame re-enforcement above it between the frame and box bottom.

Im coming into this late but I have to say your mods look good. Also remember if your going with larger exhaust to cut out that hole in the crossmember while its out. I forgot to, and had remove mine later down the road. Do you have any plans to upgrade the motor as well. Mounting the rear shocks was a big issue for mine. 

I managed to get out and do a little more work in my arctic shed... new rear crossmember is made, now I just need to position everything exactly and weld it! IMG_20130122_105737.jpg

IMG_20130122_105754.jpg

IMG_20130122_105949.jpg

I love the stance on this ute! Most 1200 series cars sit too high including mine.