engine missing after sitting at signals

wayno

looks like the plug gap is good, but i was going to guess that at the light the combustion chambers were running cool and not burning all the fuel and getting the plugs wet and then burning it off and running well after going at decent throttle, but my theories look to be wrong.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell you what, I had a very similar problem as you did, except I am running my SU's on a KA. Not too long after that problem started happening to me, my dizzy cap completely burned up, no big deal bought a new one for 6 bucks at autozone. The missing almost completely went away, but it was still somewhat there, I figured this time around its probably cause of my cheapo fuel pressure regulator.

Come to find out two weeks later my coil fused and almost burned down my wiring. Picked up a new MSD Blaster SS 2 coil for $46 bucks, all my missing problems are gone :).

Oh, Im also using a l18 distributor with a petronix unit :).

510can

Oh, Im also using a l18 distributor with a petronix unit ?????????

Petronix want under 4 amps do the math youll need to get a ballast in series with this coil.

4amp divide by 12volts = 3 ohms

otherwise this Pertronix will be short lived.

the coil can handle it but I dont think the pertonix will over time.

I'm not sure I understand the first question about my statement hehe.

As for the Petronix unit wanting 4 amps. Iv been told that plenty of times before, but I also see all the 510 race cars that run them just like that using a Blaster SS2 coil with no problems, and Iv been running the same distributor on my l20 and KA for about 2 years now, never had problems with the Petronix unit on a 12v coil with no ballast, except for a burned down cap, and a bad coil. Which the cap was super old anyways, and the coil was a cheapo accell.

Long as you know as its in the instructions.

Back in the Day I used to see Unilites ignitions pop modules then I read in the fine print to use the stock coil and ballast resisitor.

Also seen Pertronix units go bad over the years and most cases the there was not ballast in the system.

Onless your SS2 coil is near 3 ohms.

As for POint coils going bad I never seen one go bad(soembody else) Unless they removed the ballast resisitor and cooked one.

• 5 years later...

Im also still fighting this heat soak or fuel percolation o however you want to call it. I bought some thermotec adhesive heat barrier from Amazon to stick to the back of my heatshield extensions and once stuck in traffic or long stops, the idle becomes lumpy with a tendency to shut down. I guess there must be a way to solve this other than installing ceramic coated headers and all of this fancy heat shields.