Questions for 620 experts

Ethereal510

I guess since I am new here, and dont know many of you a quick intro will get things started

Name: James

Car: 1971 Datsun 510 [2DR]

Ok now that we all know each other, I can move on to my questions. I have jsut recently registered here, and man... seeing all of the members 620's has me wanting one SO BAD! The thing is tho, if I buy a pick up, I really need it to be able to lug the 510 and I guess a simple tandom axle trailor to and from the track. The tracks local to me being Laguna, infineon, thunder hill.. all being from 1 1/2 - 3 hour drives..

DatsunFreak mentioned that a 620 would be able to pull the 510 and since I am stuck here at work on the slowest frekain day ever, I wanted to get everyones opinion about it being possible.

Not only will it pull the car and trailor, but 1 -2 ppl, al the misc. items like tools tires and stuff. Also, more importantly, what would it take to stop safely haha. If this is most deff possible, I would love to pick up a extra cab 620.

Thxfor the futre info, advice, help etc.. this place is a great forum, and keep up the good work on all the dropped trucks. I love em!

James

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2eDeYe;48126'']Keep the towed weight under 5000 lbs and you should be good. Should be easy to do towing a 510.

Shouldnt be a problem, dont see the trailor weighting much...

Anyone have any exp towing with one of these trucks? I would be interested to see what everyone uses as far as towing vehicles..

Sheck out this thread.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=2221

I would like to add that you need to have good brakes on each axle of the trailer. California might also have some laws about towing vehicle gross vehicle weights. Check with California's version of motor vehicles division.

Daniel, thanks for the post. Great info there. The road to the track is pretty flat, not many hils. Soo after hearing your story, with the right kind of work, and safety i think I would be just fine. I will also check out the Ca laws, thank you very much for the info.

maybe upgrade ur brakes too lol or get a 79

Most Deff.

People push the limits of being able to stop a trailer. The general highway safety says to have your towing vehicle weigh twice what the trailer does. (if the trailer has no brakes)

So with a kingcab truck and a couple people in it, your trailer and car in tow should weigh no more than 1500 lbs. A flatbed trailer empty weighs almost that much.

People can show you pictures of their Datsun truck towing a dolly and a 510 but that is not even close to safe.

If you want to safely tow a 510, buy a larger tow vehicle. A 4x4 V6 small truck is probably the smallest I would use.

Otherwise, a custom flatbed 620 might work. Then upgrade the engine and brakes.

Its your choice though. If you wreck your truck and car in tow please show pictures.

People push the limits of being able to stop a trailer. The general highway safety says to have your towing vehicle weigh twice what the trailer does. (if the trailer has no brakes)

So with a kingcab truck and a couple people in it, your trailer and car in tow should weigh no more than 1500 lbs. A flatbed trailer empty weighs almost that much.

People can show you pictures of their Datsun truck towing a dolly and a 510 but that is not even close to safe.

If you want to safely tow a 510, buy a larger tow vehicle. A 4x4 V6 small truck is probably the smallest I would use.

Otherwise, a custom flatbed 620 might work. Then upgrade the engine and brakes.

Its your choice though. If you wreck your truck and car in tow please show pictures.

Thanks for the info.. I was thinking about this also. Even tho the truck may be able to handle pulling it, stopping in an emergency would deff be an issue.

My brother has a 01 Infinity QX4. I will maybe use that if not buy it off him. Jsut dont want to grease up a nice well kept truck.

I think i will still be on the lookout for a nice KC... there to sick lookin to not have one haha

If your trailer weight is going to come close to, or exceed the tow vehicle weight, it should have surge brakes on it. Northern Tool has a pretty good selection of components to carry this out, you can probably google the model # and find it local, or maybe cheaper. We use this system on our Bobcat trailers, works really well.

If your trailer weight is going to come close to, or exceed the tow vehicle weight, it should have surge brakes on it. Northern Tool has a pretty good selection of components to carry this out, you can probably google the model # and find it local, or maybe cheaper. We use this system on our Bobcat trailers, works really well.

Thx for the tip Dan, I will look into that.

NO WAY!!! I have towed a flat bed with a mustang on it that was stripped with a old shortbed ford f150 with a v8 and disk brakes and it was an adventure to try and stop it even with the trailer having brakes. unless you want to risk it I would say be safe and find something a little bigger and more equipped to tow

i have a truck for sale. its a nice tow rig as well. 34 ton dodge ram club cab 4x4. i have towed everyting from a vw rabbit to my jeep with it. no problems what so ever. full brakes and 7 pin wiring connector. once this gets sold i will be putting my OTHER tow rig back together. another dodge 34 ton. but older.

Take in from some one that has towed with these little trucks ,, plus has 20 years driving a big truck

you'd be out of your mind even thinking about towing a trailer with that 510 on there...

Just think about this... your on 880 with this thing,, doing about 60 mph... you have to lock up your trailer brakes,,, The trailer start to skid,, pushing the truck down the road ,, Next thing you know your truck with you sitting in the seat, just went under the back end of a 18 wheeler,,, Damn what a ...... head ache