1978 620 King Cab 4X4

]2eDeYe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you going to start your main 620 kingcab. All your other ones are getting all your loven, LOL

Once I sell the red one. That $ will be paying to get the body and bed blasted and sealed. Once that is done I can start assembly.

Wow, I can't believe that's the same truck! I really have been gone a long time! That thing is SWEET! Makes me miss mine.

Don't ever plan to sell this one, so that I don't have to miss it. :)

Hugely stupid question here...but I am going to ask it anyway. I know you are going to a jeep wagoneer front axle...does a TJ or XJ just not fit? Would it make sense to do a complete running gear swap?

TJs and XJs use a Dana 30 front and Dana 35 rear for the most part, neither of which are known for their strength. Not to mention they are the 5 on 4.5 lug pattern so none of my wheels would work on them.

Stock front Dana 44s are good for up to a 37" tire and I have 35"s that will being going on it.

A complete running gear swap is what will eventually happen, but I can only afford to build one axle at a time. That and the rear axle still works fine, while the front is broken and I want to go wheeling. :lol:

I have a Dana 60 for the rear, but I may go with a yota rear for a quicker/easier swap. I'll just have to see when I get to that point.

How about a few recent pic's, went out a month or so back and followed NF-18 to NF-17 from HWY 530 to HWY 20, was a good dusty day. :)

The dogs love the truck as much as I do. :D

419439_10151218846430600_1249487903_n.jpg

397263_10151218846850600_2040602893_n.jpg

229215_10151218847365600_530744204_n.jpg

282069_10151218848290600_464355248_n.jpg

417216_10151218849015600_894408992_n.jpg

150320_10151218849115600_341775769_n.jpg

...and a shot from when Jeff first got it :lol:

greenpee_edit.jpg

I'm hoping to, it should be a fairly simple kit with a front cross member, two shackles and two rear spring mounts. It will have the shackle forward and is designed around the wagoneer front axle and springs so you would just have to find those. Gotta get min swapped first to make sure it works well.

Picked out my accent color for powder coat, should look great on a few bits here and there. Looks a little light in the picture, it's beige and matches rustoleum sand.

IMG_4964.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Got it in the garage yesterday. Got a good bit of work ahead of me in addition to the axle swap I am upgrading the steering as well. Few other things to address while I have it apart.

Pics.

IMG_5109.jpg

IMG_5110.jpg

IMG_5111.jpg

IMG_5115.jpg

Battery tray :sick:

IMG_5122.jpg

Brakes and steering arm.

IMG_5117.jpg

IMG_5116.jpg

Gonna tear down the front end, so I can use the milled and tapped knuckles. The axle is a dana 30 with dana 44 knuckles so they will work on the new axle, it's also a bit wider than the one in my old CJ. Hopefully get some brackets cleaned off the frame today as well. :)

I jacked it up by the axle to get it onto some borrowed jack stands (thanks Nuff :thumbup:)

These are on their lowest setting.

IMG_5123.jpg

My precious flat top treasure, they need new ball joints. Still need to order the steering arms, but I want to get the axle and steering box in and measure for spring clearance.

IMG_5126.jpg

IMG_5127.jpg

Spring comparison. New springs are on the bottom. nice and flat.

IMG_5131.jpg

Now I get to pull out the steering column and then run the sawsall and the grinder to clean up the frame.

IMG_5132.jpg

I'm pondering if the H190 is strong enough to use with 35" tires behind an L28. My 4.88 H190 diff is an alloy housing and i am just unsure about its strength for offroad use. The axles themselves are plenty strong looking, I just dont know about the housing stiffness and that poor little 7.4" ring gear.

I'm pondering if the H190 is strong enough to use with 35" tires behind an L28. My 4.88 H190 diff is an alloy housing and i am just unsure about its strength for offroad use. The axles themselves are plenty strong looking, I just dont know about the housing stiffness and that poor little 7.4" ring gear.

It's not the strongest of axles that is for sure. I may be picking up a Yota rear, keeping my eye out for a factory e-locker I can regear. I have a Dana 60 rear that I might use if I can't find a Yota axle by the time I'm ready to swap the rear. Really depends on the timing.

What steering box u using? I have plans to do a sas on a short bed im getting from a friend (free with ka-e, unfinshed project) I was thinking of trying a ifs yota box. But im a long way from that crossroad.

Yep, Toyota IFS box, using a Marlin steering box mount. Will most likely be using a 720 steering column, have to find one though, and a custom shaft. I also need to get a pump and reservoir so I can have power steering.

psmountkithd640.jpg

I was reading throug your jeep thread and found this lol made me chuckle.

2eDeYe" post="97892" timestamp="1227139742"]

I'd love to build one, but I just can't justify another rig.

So, the Jeep is the wheeler the 620 will be the parts hauler. http://community.ratsun.net/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif

That and I might be scared to dent it. http://community.ratsun.net/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/laugh.gif

You were replying to a guy who said he wanted to build a mildly lifted 620... Lol

Me too!  That front end always scared me!  haha  The project is looking great!

I'm excited to have power steering.

Thanks for selling it to me :thumbup:

I was reading throug your jeep thread and found this lol made me chuckle.

You were replying to a guy who said he wanted to build a mildly lifted 620... Lol

Haha, I justified this one once the Jeep fell apart that last time. Good thing I already dented this one. :lol: