My 72' 521

E-Rock

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the compression still strong? My mechanic did a compression test and it was fine. I'm only guessing that there's residual oil in the radiator because he didn't flush it. He also had the head leveled. I hope I'm not having the same issue!

My engine I had ran fine, there was nothing wrong with the compression, it ran like it was supposed to. But it had a crack inside the head where you can't see it, and the crack happened to be in the oil jacket of the head itself, and it caused oil to get into the water system, but water did not get into the oil like a common blown headgasket, it drove me nuts, I finally just bought another engine(L20b), and scraped that L16/210 head combo, best upgrade I ever made till this LZ23 I put together recently. Fact is around town oil didn't get into my water, only on the hiway where the rpms were up there for longer periods of time. If your finding oil in the water, stop putting money into that head, it is scrap, unless you like oil in your water. The only time I have had overheating problems is when the radiator is plugged, when i used a L16 lower thermostat housing on my LZ23 bypassing that hose that goes into the water system, and when the water has been low for one reason or another. I ask again, is this engine a L16 with a 210 head?

I'm out of town right now but will check the engine when I get back. I'm not too sure. The head was leveled before it was re-installed. I hope I don't have the same problem! The mechanic said the head gasket was in fact blown so I'm hoping that was the only problem. But yes, there was a TON of oil in the radiator when I first drained it.

Yes, it's an L16/210 combo.

Flush the water system out the best you can, and if more oil gets in there, or maybe it would be better to say, if you can't seem to get the oil out of the system, as likely it just keeps getting more added into it, then don't put another dime into that head. If I were you I would be on the lookout for another head, an A87, U67 are probably the best easily available choices if your determined to keep the L16, I personally found an L20b(best upgrade) and never looked back.

And what's the best way to flush the system? Drain.... run engine....drain...... run engine etc?

It has been so long since that happened to me, seems like I just kept pumping water into the radiator while the lower radiator drain valve was open, letting it over flow and drain out the lower drain hole while the engine was running. Then I would drive it around town with no issues, but when I would drive it on the freeway, the oil would show up in the radiator water again. As I said before, I mentioned it to Dan Hart, and he told me the head was cracked inside where no one can see it, and in the past he had a cracked head sliced like a loaf of bread till they found the crack causing this very issue. This is not something that can be repaired, if it is indeed cracked in the oil jacket, there are a couple water jacket holes near the oil jacket, so the head gasket could fail, but if your mechanic is competent, not likely that is it.

There is an oil galley that runs the length of the cylinder head. This galley fees oil to number two, and three camshaft bearings. This galley goes close to the water jacket in the cylinder head, and cak leak into the water jacket.

When you run the engine slow, oil pressure is low, and the oil stays in the oil galley. Drive at higher rpm, and the oil pressure goes up, and then this high pressure forces oil into the water jacket.

• 3 weeks later...