My 72' 521

E-Rock

Hi guys. New to Datsuns and new to the forum. Picked this truck up to replace my 1970 Volvo 142s(which I'm having trouble parting with) but I'm loving this thing so far. Converted to 5 speed. Weber 32/36. I'll have to post more detail shots. The rear bumper has a rad engraving from what I think is the original dealer in Texas. I really love the look of this truck. I'm fairly new to cars in general but I've always wanted one of these.

The tie hooks were cut off the sides and I'd love to replace them. Anyone have some left over from a project or know where to find some? Also would love to replace my cracked dash.....unless you know of a crafty way of filling the cracks.

truck.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rattle can it is! But, my dash pad is cracked all to shit. Do they sell replacements or is there some way to fill the cracks? And when I say cracks, I really mean valleys.

Also, I'd like to replace all of the seals and weather stripping. I found some places that sold replacements but it seems really pricey. What's the cheapest you've found?

Rattle can it is! But, my dash pad is cracked all to shit. Do they sell replacements or is there some way to fill the cracks? And when I say cracks, I really mean valleys.

Also, I'd like to replace all of the seals and weather stripping. I found some places that sold replacements but it seems really pricey. What's the cheapest you've found?

What jon521 is saying is to rip the plastic material off the metal part of the dash like in the photos below.

DSCN0709.jpg

DSCN0707.jpg

Keep in mind that you should first check and make sure there are not big holes in your dash like the photos below, you need to put your hand under the dash and feel for these triangular/square holes.

268695_2152170076793_1022627806_2480485_2200425_n.jpg

268695_2152170116794_1022627806_2480486_6648713_n.jpg

There is also the option of finding a 520 solid metal dash, they are kind of hard to find, but worth it in the long run.

DSCN0308-1.jpg

There is a guy called 620green that has sold a brand new dash to one of the members here, I don't know if he can get anymore of them, but if anyone can it would be him. Before you bought from him you should go threw his thread, as there are a couple unhappy customers, I have bought from him with no issues, but it does take time to receive the goods from the other side of this planet. Here is a link to his for sale thread.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/30173-datsun-520521-parts-for-sale/

There are guys on ebay that are selling weather stripping, but some of these products are not OEM, they are remanufactured and that doesn't mean they are good, there is one guy selling out of texas that is a bit spendy, and most have been unhappy with the product, buy at your own risk from him. 620green has also been selling weather stripping on the link above, don't know if his is a nissan/datsun product, ask him, if he says it is and you buy, tell him you want it sent in the unopened, original packaging.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys. Been absent for a while. No new updates other than a very shitty one!

The truck had a blown head gasket. That has since been fixed but the truck is still running hot. I'm assuming that this is due to residual oil in the coolant system and radiator? I'm a novice so I'm just taking a minimally educated guess. I was going to try flushing the coolant system but I thought I'd ask you guys if you thought it would solve the problem. Should I replace the radiator and hoses? I've never dealt with this before and I can find much information about what to do after a head gasket is blown. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

I just had a mechanic(I'm no mechanic) run through the engine and he said compression is strong and and it runs really strong. It's plenty fast. It ran hot with the blown head gasket and continued to after it was fixed. There is definitely residual oil in the radiator.

I just had a mechanic(I'm no mechanic) run through the engine and he said compression is strong and and it runs really strong. It's plenty fast. It ran hot with the blown head gasket and continued to after it was fixed. There is definitely residual oil in the radiator.

You say you had a blown headgasket because you had oil in the water jacket/radiator, or did you have water in the oil? This is a very important question to answer, as you can throw a lot of money at this with no results. Is this a L16 with a stock 210 head?

Let me go into this a little deeper, I had a 1971 datsun 521 with an L16 with a 210 head(stock), I had oil in the water jacket(radiator), I would flush it out, then drive around town with no issues, but when I would drive on the freeway, the oil would reappear in the rad. water?? It turned out to be a crack very close to the oil jacket in the head, which cannot be fixed. How this issue is known to me is it happened to me, and I was lucky enough to know Dan Hart, he told me that he had a head sliced like a loaf of bread till he found the crack inside the head. This is not a headgasket issue.

Was the compression still strong? My mechanic did a compression test and it was fine. I'm only guessing that there's residual oil in the radiator because he didn't flush it. He also had the head leveled. I hope I'm not having the same issue!