• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/14/2018 at 12:55 AM, Charlie69 said:

It is way past Wednesday so where are the pictures.  LOL

37191542_1784629564949493_21284698707302

I did not put the glass back in yet. See below for explanation...

One of the things the previous owner did that has always pissed me off was he cut the turn signal lever down 3". Not sure why, as it just made effort higher and made it harder to use. He did have a dinky little 11" Grant steering wheel in it, though, so...

Tim happened upon an old B210 switch we had in the parts stash. I was going to change the whole assembly, but the high beam wiring was hacked into at some point. So I decided to see if you can just exchange the arm itself. You can, but I don't recommend it...  ?

37173774_1784629581616158_90731020618595

This pic is a bit crap, but you can see it now sits flush with the 13.5" Mooneyes wheel...

37136828_1784629554949494_57872671262428

Now on to the glass saga. I have been going back and forth on whether to tint the windows in the car for a few years now. I thought, "hey I've watched my tint guy tint windows 100 times. How tough can it be?".

Turns out, very tough.Very, very tough.   ?

Bought some tint to do the rear window while it was out. Ruined the first roll I bought trying to do it. Then ruined the second roll trying to do it. Then got pissed off and removed every piece of glass in the car except the windshield. I then took all of those to my buddy's tint shop and said " your turn". 

Picked them up yesterday afternoon and they look awesome. ?

Should have them all back in on Wednesday...

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I tinted the rear window in the grey coupe......and that is why it is the ONLY window tinted on that car. I feel your pain.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, datzenmike said:

What's the law on tinted windows? Only allowed on glass behind your shoulder or has that changed?

It varies state to state, I have my windows a little darker than legal, but the cops around here seem to leave grey beards alone for that stuff, more interested in gang banger types. ?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, petercscherer said:

Texas law is 25% on the front side windows and any level on the back-side and rear glass. 

Yeah, I just went ahead and did 20% on all the windows. Wanted to keep some semblance of rear visibility at night just in case. And...

I have my windows a little darker than legal, but the cops around here seem to leave grey beards alone for that stuff, 

There's this...

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1

Rear 3 windows back in...

37326237_1789933044419145_35082320101056

Started to install the fronts and realized just how perished the window felts are...

37340882_1789933057752477_35004975642795

I have a few rolls of window felt, so I will replace all that on Saturday, then reinstall the glass.

Also while it is all apart, I repainted the black window frames on the doors.  ?

• Like 3

Using Kelmo's technique, I got the vent glass installed. Then I polished all the shiny bits and repainted all the black bits, then installed new window channel felt...

large.20180721_103111.jpg.1589f66718e8f4

So now all the glass is back in, and all the rubber seals in the car are now new except the vent glass. You can't seem to buy those, and mine are decent, so...

large.20180721_104752.jpg.9ad3b4e03938ec

• Like 5

Tint isn't hard to me anymore. Lay tint on outside of window after cleaning and soaking it wet with soapy distilled water.  Cut to roughly the same size. Squegee out air bubbles. Use heat gun or hair drier to make it lay flat and stretch to match curve of window. Trim to match window. Once all bubbles are gone and its all nicely laid on, remove it, then remove backing and stick it to the inside after thoroughly cleaning and wetting with soapy water. Should go right on, squegee it out and finish trimming to fit.

Edited by afracer
  • Like 3
On 7/23/2018 at 11:05 AM, goes2fast said:

Been there, done that! ?

Oh yeah, messed up a few times until i watched a pro do it,  the very next time it was near perfect.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Always hated the chromed steel hood pins the previous owner installed, as my preference is smaller aluminum pins. These steel pins tend to rust over time... 

Well, the way he installed the pins makes it impossible to exchange the pins themselves, but I could do away with the rust making steel hood plates. So I made some out of carbon fiber...

39072702_1832770200135429_60057477703784

I was going to install them but the previous owner also used some cheap chrome screws that were starting to rust as well. I'm going to pick up some stainless hardware to install them instead...

And I have some ideas on how to replace the pins themselves with stainless or aluminum, just need to grok it a bit more...

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Some aluminum rivets would look clean with the carbon fiber. 

That was Tim's notion as well. There is one minor issue with that. The holes are a little too big for 3/16" rivets and way too small for 1/4" rivets. If I can get some washers to fit the 3/16" rivets I may do that...

Edited by datsunfreak

Of the two "you can't drive it until you do this" things I had left on the list, I knocked off one today. Got the transmission filled with fluid finally. 

Going to try and bleed the brakes in the next week or so. Want to shoot for a test drive maybe in September or October. Waffling on whether I should redo the muffler now or later. Plus I still need to modify, dye, and install the passenger seat... 

No pics because, it was filling a transmission. What do you want to see?  ?