Datsun 411 EV "Speed" Test

jfbrink

Hi, gang,

I thought some of you might be interested in seeing my '67 Bluebird rolling along ev-style. It is quiet and smooth, but not super fast. Because my hobby budget is very tight and what I really wanted to do is prototype a drivetrain packaging idea, power comes from a golf cart motor and controller with a mere 48V. The surprising thing is that this is enough to give me at least 10 miles of range with a top speed of 35 mph. As of this writing, I've only gotten up to 20 mph because Curtis, the controller manufacturer, sells its controllers with speed-limiting codes that I have yet to up-grade.

In time, I will remove the golf cart bits and replace them with a relatively low-voltage AC system that will provide, with a largish Li-ion battery pack, highway speeds and 100+ mile range. For now, I'm just scrounging the money together to get it street legal and properly registered so that I can drive it on errands and whatnot. It definitely retains all the delight of driving a 411, just without any of the noise, odors or fumes.

Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K6-tbKX9bw

Jesse.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, man,

You totally have first dibs: I'm still rolling on those crazy, cracked tires that were on the rims I bought from you. We'll see how long they last!

Although my car came with a good running A14 engine and BW tranny kinda just sitting in the engine bay, I sold those a couple years ago.

The things I still have that I don't need are:

-Complete rear end from drum to drum,

-Leaf springs, with viable bushings,

-Driveshaft,

-Very clean gas tank,

-Gas pedal linkage,

-Starter,

-Alternator.

If you or anyone else wants/needs these items, send me a PM I will be happy to send photos/work out a fair price/arrange delivery.

Best,

Jesse.

• 1 month later...

I've posted the following parts in the For Sale section; help finance the continued EV build:

-Complete 411 SSS Sedan rear end, including leaf springs

-Gas Tank with straps and sender

-Driveshaft

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/37005-411-bluebird-sss-sedan-parts-for-sale/

Hopefully there's something you need; my budget needs a cash infusion!

Best,

Jesse.