My "NEW" 71 Datsun 521 truck

rhabdo71

Hey guys,

I'm new to this site and would really appreciate any help I can get from anyone.

I recently bought a 1971 Datsun 1600 pick-up truck (521) and EVERYTHING is ORIGINAL. Got it from an elderly man who bought it brand new from the dealership. The carb is original but it's old and sticking; choking for air. I bought a NEW Weber 38 DGES to replace the old one. It stated it's Universal and would fit my truck? Can I use this on my truck which has a manual choke. The Weber has a electric choke connector on the side of the carb. Will I be able to just connect the fuel line,hoses and the accelerator cable and start it up? Or, will I have to do some minor modifications to use this carb. I will post pics tonight of the carb and my truck.

Thanks any any info from anyone would be appreciated!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It stated it's Universal and would fit my truck? Can I use this on my truck which has a manual choke. The Weber has a electric choke connector on the side of the carb. Will I be able to just connect the fuel line,hoses and the accelerator cable and start it up? Or, will I have to do some minor modifications to use this carb. I will post pics tonight of the carb and my truck.

Thanks any any info from anyone would be appreciated!

Some research should have been done here first before diving in. It's possible that the original carb could have been adjusted or rebuilt for $25. This is the best carb for economy and drivability. Up to a point a very slightly larger carb will give a bit more power but it's a trade off. It will be harder to live with. That's way too big a carb for an L16 motor. Bigger does not always make it faster or we would all have 1180 4bbl Hollys on our Datsuns. The carb should be sized to the motor it is on. Well to late for that now.

You will need to connect the electric choke to a fuse that is ON when the key is in the run position.

You may be able to remove the throttle linkage on the Hitachi and bolt onto the Weber. This will make connecting the cable up to it much easier.

Usually an adapter plate comes with a 'universal fit' carb kit. Almost certainly you will need to make some mods to fine tune the swap. What are you doing for an air filter?

Thank you ALL,

Luckly, I do and I always buy things with a return and warranty back up. I think I will return it and exchange it for the Weber 32/36. One other question. Is it better to have a electric or manual choke? Thanks again.

The choke type is a personal preferance, if you know how to use a manual choke properly, then go for it, less to go wrong/set up, if you are unfamiliar with a manual choke, then I would go with a automatic choke. Manual chokes are old school, I am old school.

I agree the stock carb is good if working ,Gowever they are almost 40 years old and once they go bad In my opinion I would do a weber 32/36 DGV %A as this is a manual choke version and the stock choke cable should fit.

The kit will come with a adapter plate that fits on the stock manifold as the Weber carb spacing is bigger than the stock Hitachi spacing. also try it keep the gaskets intack so you can make new ones if you have to as outlines.

As Datzenmike said the Hithachi linkage in back will fit on back of the weber.

aslos in the kit should be a brass colored cable bracket holder for the accell cable.

also depending on your set up you might need to rig a soft return spring. I seen soem good set up and some bad ones.

olddatsuns.com the tech section!

Hey Guys,

I appreciate all the input so far. I have photos ready to go but having trouble pasting them to this Reply box. This may be a dumb question but does any one know how to put images in this box. I clicked on the "Insert Image" icon but it asks for a URL. I have my photos on my computer. Thanks.

Does anyone know what the dimensions are for the 71' Datsun 521 front drums and where can I get new ones.

Are they the same size as the rear drums? I found some drums on new datsun parts .com but think they are a little to much $$$ ($136 ea.)

Sounds like a good time to upgrade to front disc brakes.

if you haven't already installed the Weber, you need that long metal piece from the Hitachi

IMG00533-20110921-1810.jpg

and on my 510, the electric choke wire is different from the stock one

the Weber is like this of course instead of female its male

IMG00534-20110921-1811.jpg

and Hitachi one is like this same as above male instead of female

IMG00536-20110921-1813.jpg