3 "Universal" Weatherstrip Solutions

jfbrink

Hi, 411 folks,

Has anyone tried any of the "universal fit" weatherstrip solutions on the doors (or elsewhere) of their 411?

I'm considering these three, the first two from JC Whitney and the third from SoftSeal:

411_body_weatherstrip_jcwhitney_1.jpg
411_body_weatherstrip_jcwhitney_2.jpg
411_body_weatherstrip_softseal_1.jpg

The dimensions/profiles on all three are pretty close, although the JC Whitney clamping bead is a little wide.

Any thoughts?

Jesse.

[Edited 8/10/15 to fix image links]

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first JCWhitney unit's bead is too wide, but you can manipulate the aluminum trim to clear it. It actually does a good job of sealing the door to frame gap, and it looks decent when installed despite the "bulge" where you manipulated the aluminum to fit. However, the "Non drying non shrinking rubber" will dry out, rot and crack despite the self serving words in the catalog. You will get maybe 3 years out of it before it starts to self destruct. For hood to cowl you really need the rubber to "sprout" from the top of the bead, not to the side, in order to seal the gap. JCWhitney part numbers QH12914 looks authentic, QH132565 and QH812895 may do also.

Edited by MikeRL411

Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. In regards to the too-wide bead on JC Whitney's 1JA 132562 weatherstrip, I was thinking the bead metal might be flimsy enough that I could run it through a homemade "bead roller" to narrow it down so that the Datsun's aluminum trim would not have to be modified.

Too bad about the longevity, although I suppose I am not surprised. Still, I would be happy to have even three years of functioning weatherstrip, given the state of the 40+ year old stock material I have on there, now.

Thanks also for the additional input on the hood seal.

Best,

Jesse.

I found this site and believe the dimensions are very similar. Have not contacted company about cost but they are strictly in this business. Most of their weatherstripping has a steel spine that helps with clamping and holding to the body. They also have many styles on this link to their site - http://www.automobil...al-rubber.html#

For what it's worth #501 seems most like what would work on our 411 wagon

For what it's worth #501 seems most like what would work on our 411 wagon

Strange to say, I have found an almost exact cross section to the factory door weather strip but it is not a weatherstrip, Look at a new car in the dealer's lot. They come with a white polyethelene bumper on the door edge to prevent scratches on the adjacent vehicle. Its cross section exactly matches the 411 door weatherstrips. It has the proper sized clip for the pinch weld and the auxiliary lip seal in addition to the bulb seal. I carry one of these with me when I find a Mom and Pop parts store with racks of hoses and bulb seals on the so far non fruitful hope of finding a similar roll of bulb seal.

Strange to say, I have found an almost exact cross section to the factory door weather strip but it is not a weatherstrip, Look at a new car in the dealer's lot. They come with a white polyethelene bumper on the door edge to prevent scratches on the adjacent vehicle. Its cross section exactly matches the 411 door weatherstrips. It has the proper sized clip for the pinch weld and the auxiliary lip seal in addition to the bulb seal. I carry one of these with me when I find a Mom and Pop parts store with racks of hoses and bulb seals on the so far non fruitful hope of finding a similar roll of bulb seal.

Is it possible to get a pic of this polyethylene bumper? I know what you're talking about on the new cars and don't doubt your research. Just thought a pic would help all understand your description.

Thanks,

Bart

Is it possible to get a pic of this polyethylene bumper? I know what you're talking about on the new cars and don't doubt your research. Just thought a pic would help all understand your description.

Thanks,

Bart

The right unit is the JCWhitney "Universal" weather strip with tissue stuffed inside to make the bulb more visible. The polyethylene strip has been highlighted with a marker to make the contour more visible, it's the right cross section for the 411 sedans. You can see how much thicker the pinch weld clip is on the universal weatherstrip.

DSCF0247.jpg

Edited by MikeRL411
  • Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Hi, gang,

I'm dredging this old thread up to attempt to keep good weatherstrip information in one place.

My new question is: has anyone had any luck with aftermarket solutions for the TRUNK weatherstrip / seal?

Mine is so far gone I couldn't even guess what the stock profile might have been.

Thanks,

Jesse.

• 7 months later...

Okay, once again with a weather strip question. 

Is the consensus that we 411 folks can use 521 window felt and squeegees, such as those offered by DatsunlandSoCal (http://www.datsunlandsocal.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=ds&Screen=PROD&Category_Code=PL521WeatherSeals&Product_Code=G005)? I don't see why not, but I want to get confirmation from those who know.  

Best,

Jesse. 

yes. they have the same width chanels in the doors. you can also get this stuff in a "universal" size if you search ariund and look for one that is the correct width. they sell it at the pomona swapmeet and stuff and can be had for cheaper. but that will work if you just want to just get it done quick the hw is done for you.