differential sitting croocked

rockstar 620

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so while i was working on my 620 i noticed that the gap between the frame and the tires was bigger on the drivers side and the passenger side rear tires seems to be cockd like if it was toed in... does enyone know why is this?? or is this normal??

Is it lowered? Has strait axle in rear right? if so when its lowered it moved to the side... Happened on my friend's Volvo

• Like 1

so while i was working on my 620 i noticed that the gap between the frame and the tires was bigger on the drivers side and the passenger side rear tires seems to be cockd like if it was toed in... does enyone know why is this?? or is this normal??

Better post some pictures of it. Having a hard time wrapping my head around it.

Have you removed any leaves from the spring pack?

Have you had the springs out?

Do you have lowering blocks?

I think he means this:

missaligned%252520axle.jpg

the right tire is farther from the frame than the left, and the right tire has toe in. I made my picture a bit exaggerated.

Correct....usually there is a 'pin/bolt' that locates/centers the diff....long gone from the leaf 'upgrade'...?...

From your tape measure pictures, it shows about 3/4" difference from tire to frame/left vs right. That is a huge differnce for it to be a spring problem.

Consider swapping your tires/wheels side to side and re-measureing. A offset difference in the wheels of 19mm(3/4") would give this same problem.

However, this does not explain the toe in, not that we can see it in the pictures anyways. Measure from the front of the axle tube to the front leaf spring mounting bolt..Are they way different? If yes, it is probably time to disassemble the rear blocks/u-bolts and verify that all the centering pins are still in good condition. And make sure the rear u-bolts get re-torqued when you are done.

From your tape measure pictures, it shows about 3/4" difference from tire to frame/left vs right. That is a huge differnce for it to be a spring problem.

Consider swapping your tires/wheels side to side and re-measureing. A offset difference in the wheels of 19mm(3/4") would give this same problem.

However, this does not explain the toe in, not that we can see it in the pictures anyways. Measure from the front of the axle tube to the front leaf spring mounting bolt..Are they way different? If yes, it is probably time to disassemble the rear blocks/u-bolts and verify that all the centering pins are still in good condition. And make sure the rear u-bolts get re-torqued when you are done.

will do that thx for the help !!

I think he means this:

missaligned%252520axle.jpg

the right tire is farther from the frame than the left, and the right tire has toe in. I made my picture a bit exaggerated.

On the spring pack there is a dowel pin that fits a hole on the spring perch on the axle. If the pin is broken off or the U bolts loose it may have jumped out allowing the axle to move forward. Not good.

Post some pictures of the springs where they mount on the axle. Shoot from the middle of the axle looking out to the sides.

are the pins for the blocks lined up right?

like the hole on the bottom of the block is on the bolt from the leaf pack... and then the axle is lined up in the dowel?

i messed up on my luv once, and it did the same thing...

loosen up the ubolts and make sure everythins lined up..

On the spring pack there is a dowel pin that fits a hole on the spring perch on the axle. If the pin is broken off or the U bolts loose it may have jumped out allowing the axle to move forward. Not good.

Post some pictures of the springs where they mount on the axle. Shoot from the middle of the axle looking out to the sides.

Ya...figure there is nothing left on top of the spring to hold the block/diff

Wow the posts are fast. Yes I see the spring and that is fucked up. You should never run with a single leaf. This is redneck lowering and puts all the weight and side loading forces when turning on a single leaf. Not at all good. The axle relies on multi-leaf springs to locate and hold it centered on the frame.

Wow the posts are fast. Yes I see the spring and that is fucked up. You should never run with a single leaf. This is redneck lowering and puts all the weight and side loading forces when turning on a single leaf. Not at all good. The axle relies on multi-leaf springs to locate and hold it centered on the frame.

it has the main leaf and the short n thick one on bottom...should i put some more leaves on there i have a full 620 spring pack !!