Need to find chassis VIN number

jimbar99

I bought a 65 L320 with VIN number (from the VIN plate) of 4-L320-03558D. Unfortunately, the title shows L320$03558D. The '4' is in a different place. I see that the earlier trucks used the alternate scheme. My problem is, I can't transfer the title without getting this resolved. I will have to go to the Highway Patrol to get the VIN verified. I would like to see which method was used on the chassis stamp before I go there, and especially I would like to find the number on the chassis.

The owners manual says that the location is "Top surface of left forward part of frame side member" I would assume they mean the top of the frame rail on the driver's side, possible within the engine compartment?

ChassisVIN.jpg

The manual has a picture that is not helpful in locating the number. Can anyone provide me with a good description of exactly where the number or how I need to position myself to locate it? A photo of the location that's wide enough to identify the same spot on my chassis would be great. I don't want to make the appointment with the Highway Patrol until I can find the chassis number.

Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Wayno. The number was right where you said it would be, and it matches the VIN plate (except for the 'D' suffix). Doesn't match the title, but at least it's something. Now waiting for the Highway Patrol to call back about verifying the number and changing the title to reflect the plate.

I made the mistake of thinking that left side meant driver's side so I was looking on the wrong frame rail!

I bought a 65 L320 with VIN number (from the VIN plate) of 4-L320-03558D. Unfortunately, the title shows L320$03558D. The '4' is in a different place. I see that the earlier trucks used the alternate scheme. My problem is, I can't transfer the title without getting this resolved. I will have to go to the Highway Patrol to get the VIN verified. I would like to see which method was used on the chassis stamp before I go there, and especially I would like to find the number on the chassis.

The owners manual says that the location is "Top surface of left forward part of frame side member" I would assume they mean the top of the frame rail on the driver's side, possible within the engine compartment?

ChassisVIN.jpg

The manual has a picture that is not helpful in locating the number. Can anyone provide me with a good description of exactly where the number or how I need to position myself to locate it? A photo of the location that's wide enough to identify the same spot on my chassis would be great. I don't want to make the appointment with the Highway Patrol until I can find the chassis number.

Thanks!

This is what my tag says, my title has no "N" in it, even though I have a NL320, it has a "4" at the front like yours and that is what my title also has, a "4" at the front. I am unsure about yours as I thought that the "4" was only on NL320 vehicles.

DSCN0021.jpg

So does the same thing go for the 720 datsun? Mine states kmy720-001852... Is that the entire vin? I thought it would be longer and I need to find the vin since I lost the paperwork in my last move and since failing last smog... No plates and no vin on dash.... Is this all I need for a full vin to run admv search?

So does the same thing go for the 720 datsun? Mine states kmy720-001852... Is that the entire vin? I thought it would be longer and I need to find the vin since I lost the paperwork in my last move and since failing last smog... No plates and no vin on dash.... Is this all I need for a full vin to run admv search?

So you 720 is a 1980?

KMY 720 is a King Cab Z22 motor 4X4 720 ... but there should be an L between the M and the Y and after the 720 S (if standard, blank if deluxe) T-manual OR K for automatic, V-California OR U if federal.

You'd better post pictures of your tags.