Datun 4 Door truck 720

Izzy

Hi, I'm new on this forum, let shre you that just few weeks back I bought this 4 door truck (Im in Mexico border with El Paso Tx, ) it was commun that Mexico regulations did not helped to have the latest technology on the past yearspecially on cars, this is the case of Nissan/Datsun, for the pickups offered in Mexico all were sell with the engine J1800 and 4 Speed Trans until the 1990 when the 2.4L was then stock.

Well as you can see this truck need much work, I want to do something with it but not sure if doing an engine swap or trying to have it just upgrading the transmission to the 5 speed, which I'm not sure how to look for it, if any has any guide on how to find a tranny to match this engine that will be great I will try that first if not luck then probably will move to the engine swap option, the current J18 is strong a runs pretty good, no oil leaks and a decent cilinder compression average on the cilinders is 95, which I was told by the mechanicall is very good.

I will start replacing fenders and hood as it has some damage, all chasis and cab is rust free. want to upgrade the front breaks as those are drum brakes.

the idea is to have soemthing to play with but also want to give it a nice look, still not sure if going for higher look or just stok, so any idea is more than welcome, i have not seen trucks like this one respored or tunned.

here the pics. and thanks.

Picture004.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Israel.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I feel retarded. I have always wanted to try building a true 4 door 720, I did not realize that they were manufactured, obviously outside of the states. I guess I should have, I know toyota 4 doors have been around forever in parts of Latin America. I want that cab. Badly. How much do those things go for down there, not running or just a cab from a junk yard? That truck is officially Awesome.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't think there is a 5 speed that will fit the J series engine. 1.8 liters would be hard pressed to pull a heavy truck along in an overdrive gear.

95 compression is not very good at all. 150 would be.... ok, and higher would be better. Sure the mechanic didn't mean 195??? If it runs that good leave it and enjoy.