Noob joining your ranks! Just picked up my first Datsun

Odinie

Considering age, 120psi isn't bad.

If they're all within 10% of each other, don't stress on it.

Get the gasket kit, and rock it til the wheels fall off.

You are so close to being ear to ear shit-eating happy.

L16's are a blast. Wrap that shit to 6,000 rpm's.

Get some.

FelPro conversion kit

Haha, sounds good! You've piqued my interest. The cylinders are all +/- 1 or 2 psi apart, so that's good.

I'm going to stop bothering everybody until I get that gasket changed. Thanks for the help!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, sounds good! You've piqued my interest. The cylinders are all +/- 1 or 2 psi apart, so that's good.

I'm going to stop bothering everybody until I get that gasket changed. Thanks for the help!

It's no problem at all.

Me, I just want to see a 521 on the road, going strong.

Keep at it, Padiwan.

I rather see a L motor running than a nice car that turns into a project resold, swapped traded then hauled off for junk. Ratsun has a high percentage of that on here.

Everybody asking for Icehouse(jeffHino,seller of the CanAm box) how to get there KA running.Since his brother died I cant get ahold of him. He dont call back ect. I know hes out there but Im thinking how many PM his getting everyday.

best to buy a KA project to save

You have a nice truck alot better than mine.

Be honest you dont have at least 3k extra in funds dont do the KA Project.

I rather see a L motor running than a nice car that turns into a project resold, swapped traded then hauled off for junk. Ratsun has a high percentage of that on here.

Everybody asking for Icehouse(jeffHino,seller of the CanAm box) how to get there KA running.Since his brother died I cant get ahold of him. He dont call back ect. I know hes out there but Im thinking how many PM his getting everyday.

You have a nice truck alot better than mine.

Be honest you dont have at least 3k extra in funds dont do the KA Project.

all very good advice. I am looking at a KA engine/trans myself for 300 all inc. but then I got a j13 521 coming in a month not an L16, if I had an L16 521 a KA swap wouldn't even be an option, I'd either fix the L16 or find an L18 or L20b.

All good advice. I think I may have gotten ahead of myself with my pipe dreams. One step at a time. I've read more than a few posts here about KA swaps gone bad. I don't want to add my truck to the list.

Thanks for all the help! I'm going to autozone tomorrow with that part number to see what they can source.

Great advice. I can probably find one in Sac somewhere on a beater truck to get in over my head on. I'm sure most of them are sold at a huge loss.

Maybe somebody here needs to buy up all the KA swaps and make a business of getting them running, and reselling them.

Just got a call that the gasket kit arrived today. Going to pick that up and hopefully find some time to get it in by the end of the weekend.

Also, I just saw this today on craigslist. http://sacramento.cr...2603398181.html

Will this swap directly with the L16 that I have in there right now? Will I have to pull the engine to swap the tranny? Will it work eventually with an L20B should I go that route in the future? I'm not sure if the Naps-Z motors used the same mounting for the trannys.

I'd like to add some highway capability to the truck if possible!

Thanks!

Just got a call that the gasket kit arrived today. Going to pick that up and hopefully find some time to get it in by the end of the weekend.

Also, I just saw this today on craigslist. http://sacramento.cr...2603398181.html

Will this swap directly with the L16 that I have in there right now? Will I have to pull the engine to swap the tranny? Will it work eventually with an L20B should I go that route in the future? I'm not sure if the Naps-Z motors used the same mounting for the trannys.

Thanks!

not sure if it will fit a L20b unless you do a bell housing swap

Thanks!

Looks like a NAPS 5 speed. Won't work with the L series motors I'm afraid.

All fixed up and timing spot on. Timed to 10 Degrees. The hardest part was getting the old gasket material off both of the surfaces before reinstalling the pump. Apparently an aftermarket pump was used because it doesn't have any sort of marks or arrows for the base/spindle alignment. Oh well, trial and error fixed that one. I made sure to fill it up with oil as much as possible before installing.

Took it out for a spin, and it pulls a little stronger and is a lot smoother on acceleration. It's far from sporty with that L16 in it, but it'll definitely do for now.

Thanks for the help!

Hey, so last night I noticed my brake lights were on. I thought I had a problem with my wiring or something, but it turns out that there's a bumper that attaches to the brake pedal arm that triggers the brake light switch which disintegrated. Anybody know where to get another one of these? I thought about taping a penny on there instead, but it seems kind of hack if I can get the real part for next to nothing.

After searching, all I can find results for are the brake pedal pads, but nothing on the bumper. Maybe it's called something else?