Need some advice

So here goes. I've got a shot at buying a '66 RL411 SSS. It's on c/l in a neighboring state so I can't just run over & look at it. The thing is I've got a very limited amount of money and this would have to be "the one" for a while. I'd rather have a 510 & have been looking for one for about 5 months to no avail. I've been talking with the guy that has it for sale for about a month now & the story goes it was running but blew a head gasket. He took it apart & never put it back together. Said it has rust "here & there". I like the car, it's just not the Holy Grail. What you guys think?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

do it if the price is right, "rust here and there" could well mean rust bucket, though. if it was slight rust the seller would probably be more specific

Yeah I asked about the floor pans & he said "I can't tell". Can't or won't is the question. If i drive 200 miles to see it's a bucket I'm gonna be pissed. The guy seems like he don't get out much so I'm not sure if he does know.

There are a few people on this forum that make fixing a 411 easy , but they are more like having a baby but the parts wear out and you have to trade one of your other kids fingers to fix the baby..And i live where there is alot of them around.

.If two hundred miles seems to far just to look at a junk one you wont buy, then you are not ready for a 411.

Just being honest with you..wink.gif

Hold off, buy something more reliable. Datsun truck with L motor, Subaru/Nissan car or something else cheap and easy to get parts for. Try to find something in the late 80s early 90s. Hardbody pickups are becoming quite cheap. Get a 2wd one of those, rust usually isn't nearly as bad as any Datsun and they are usually quite reliable. 86-89 had Z24, 90 up had KA24.

Plus, hardbody parts are plentiful. When you ask the random guy at the parts counter for parts for a 411, he's probably going to look at you funny. Or if it was me, I'd tell you right now, parts aren't easy to come by.

All I've ever bought are Nissans/Datsuns. 240's, 280's, 620's, hardbodies, a 710, a 79 510, Maximas, & I'm daily driving a pathfinder now so keeping it running isn't a problem. I've just never tackled bodywork before. I know parts would be a bitch to find. I got lucky finding front spindle bearings for my 76 620 at a local family owned part store. I've never had a 411 though. I want something me & my son can work on.

Also, I've talked the guy down to $1000

And I appreciate the honesty. That's why I asked you guys

If your heart is with a 510 then that's what you go for..if your thinking about a 411 you are compromising. And you said you only have limited money so make it wortwhile..I've had so many cars and one thing I know for sure, go for the one you dream of, of course, your limited by your money/bills, but get as close as you can. The objective is to enjoy it. Good luck.

Yeah.. if ur More into the 510 then hold out for one.. cuz u might get tired of the 411 and then not like it... besides the price seem like a lot.. U can defenetly find a better 510 for that much.. atleast in the west

I've got him down to $1000 so the price is a little better. I just don't see many affordable 510's here in Alabama. Closest I can get is one in Florida that looks to be taken apart for $3500. Just a regional thing I guess. They all came across the pacific & not around the other way

Hmmmm....I was thinking about this one as well....go him down to a 1000 huh? :lol: J/K on buying it any more. Just think about this point. Its harder than hell getting a 510 our way, what are the chances you find a parts car for this one?

I got lucky when I found my 521. Its been for sale for longer than a month. Think its closer to a year.

Good luck with everything

Jeff

Hmmmm....I was thinking about this one as well....go him down to a 1000 huh? :lol: J/K on buying it any more. Just think about this point. Its harder than hell getting a 510 our way, what are the chances you find a parts car for this one?

I got lucky when I found my 521. Its been for sale for longer than a month. Think its closer to a year.

Good luck with everything

Jeff

It was on c/l about 8 months ago at $3500. Now it's back. I'd be shit out of luck on a parts car for this or a 510. Right now I'm leaning on holding out

I've got him down to $1000 so the price is a little better. I just don't see many affordable 510's here in Alabama. Closest I can get is one in Florida that looks to be taken apart for $3500. Just a regional thing I guess. They all came across the pacific & not around the other way

That and it doesn`t snow very much on the far west coast so roads aren`t salted ..actually most of the towns over here don`t even have snow plows.

After reading that your just getting it for project ( sometimes it`s hard to tell the nuts from the bolts on this forum ) i have changed my vote to-- maybe you should go look at it. .

Yeah.. gettin him down on the price that low is still not really worth.. cuz the seller must know how hard it is to get parts and plus.. HOw much rust will it really have seeing as how he went this low.. Hold out for a 510... will be worth it... take a trip out to the west sometime and ull get one... :)