Quad Rear Shocks

Ron1200

I just installed the Air Shocks and I'm disapointed with the ride. I was thinking I'd have the best of both... a good ride and a payload capacity when I needed it. Like most compromises it didn't work out that way.

I'm guessing that the bouncy ride is from the 'air spring'. I think the 'air spring' allows uncontrolled (undampened) movement. So I was running some ideas around in my head and the one I keep coming back to is installing a second pair of standard shocks parallel (or close to it) to the Air shocks on the rear end.

Has anyone done this before?

ShocksAfters.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

like i mentioned in your other thread, you need more leafs to make it stop being so bouncy...

how you have yours is pretty much the same as i have my back suspension setup.. ive got 1 more leaf, but its still like a pogo stick sometimes... the price you have to pay when you lower your truck..

one thing i do to keep the "slappyness" away is 2 50lb sandbags at the rear of my bed... without em, it gets really slap happy on bumps. its like holding a ruler on the edge of a desk and then flicking it... with just the ruler itll flick really easy.. of you were to tape a weight onto that ruler and do again, the added weight makes it have more momentum and its not as easy to get it to flick...

anyways, im rambling... hope this all makes sense lol...

More leafs will make it more bouncy on an empty load. But it will be stiffer, is that what you meant? Stiff springs make for a bouncy ride. Soft springs make for a soft ride, usually it is wallowing though.

To make a soft ride, you need less leafs than stock -- and a custom shock (e.g. adjustable Konis) to control them. Stock shocks are designed for stock springs. And in pickups the stock springs are a compromise.

For carrying loads, use helper springs, like the stock spring option. They don't come into play until a load is put in the bed.

Not that I'm a suspension expert... far from it. I think FarmerJoe hit on what I was trying to describe when he used the word "slappyness". To me that is the bouncing you get when you have a vehicle with worn-out shocks. Where the ride is not dampened. Does this make sense?

I'm thinking that Air Shocks have two compartments; 1) an air bladder (i.e. balloon) that increases load capacity when filled and 2) a shock absorber that controlls the springs movement. I'm wondering if at minimum air pressure the air bladder is acting like my son's old bouncy ball (pre-school toy to hop around on). Using that analogy, the air bladder could even add some 'spring' to the leaf spring.

I'm getting away from my point... With two 'separate' compartments it makes sense that each compartment can move on it own. Can the air bladder move before the shock? Air moves easier that oil. If so, then I think that's what I'm feeling.

I'm not upset with the current configuration, just looking to fine-tune the results. :)

I do appreciate all the input. Thank you :)

I have been a fan of shockwaves for a long time the few vehicles I have been in with shockwaves installed I did not notice any slappyness with or wiithout load. so that might be another way to go

You mean the *cough* $600 and up Shockwave shocks?