Ron1200's '79 KC 620

Ron1200

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got all the electrical working on the 620 this weekend, all the lights (exterior and interior), all the switches... everything works. :)

Still working on the leaks... may have that licked as well... just need to test my fix. :)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Not much to report... Addressed the leak... appeared to be comming in from the new windshield. The gasket was not sealing well on the glass.

Changed the DZ-Start from 'depress the brake' to 'depress the clutch' to start.

Added an inside-the-bed mount for the spare tire. (let me know if you want Pics)

Also, disassembeled the turn signal / high beam switch to address the drivers-side brake light not working. Just needed cleaned and lubed.

Next on the list is to adjust the SUs.

• 1 year later...

Been making small changes to the 620... Installed an E-bay ABS Dashcap to cover up the cracked dash.  It's not ideal, but better than the looking at the cracks.  Changed the speaks in the front to 6" from 5.25", needed spacer rings for this.  Repaired the Heater Control Valve using info from the Ratsun How to Section.  Re-soldered the top radiator tank to stop the leak.  lots of little stuff.

Mostly I've been stockpiling parts.  I picked up an L20 from J-Rock to replace the L16. To go with this, I have a Weber 45DCOE 19 & Cannon Side-draft manifold (Though I'm not sure how to address the lack of vacuum advance just yet). Going to start this project in February. More to follow...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The SU's I have are a bit soft on the rev (in neutral). Maybe it's my inability to tune them right.  I've had good results with the DCOE in the past. Got a good deal on it... NOS not used, Italian made.

My plan is to temporarily use the SU's to get the engine running (cause I know they work), then move to the Weber.

• 1 month later...

Did the LED upgrade to the dash... I can see them at night now... actually can turn them down a bit with the variable dimmer.

Just after the upgrade the speedo quit... turned out to be the drive gear in the trans... So got a new pinion and sleeve from the Nissan Dealer (with Mike's part number help), and for the first time since I've owned the truck... the Speedo is correct!

1CxM63C.jpg

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

This truck has history...past Build Thread info...

When Skib's - Well Shit

http://community.rat...4407-well-shit/

2010Sept04

ARAI8op.jpg

kaBoxV1.jpg

2011Aug05

Ayogmcw.jpg

When Dat620Guy's - 79 King Cab Resurrection

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/14441-79-kingcab-resurrection/

2009Aug29

m3EBJO8.jpg

2010Jun15

dpsCqQA.jpg

When Ricky116's

Couldn't find any info

7/23/2017 Update... Photos on links don't work... Did I say that Photobucket sucks... Oh yeah I did!

• Like 2

Starting my engine swap... Replacing the L16 with a used L20 I got from JRock.  Put the 6-bolt flywheel on.  Now trying to get the correct oil pickup tube.

Some candy for the PIC whores...

ue0UbHs.jpg

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a little done on the engine swap today

Out with the old...

FYRzSO8.jpg

This is the new...

XdnEXJ0.jpg

It takes way more time than I figured when you clean & paint the parts prior to re-installing.

Do want to give a shout out to JRock for finding my dipstick.. um tube... lol

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought I was ahead of the game as I was able to get the transmission to mate with the block in 15 minutes. Now have to regroup because the oil pan won't clear the cross member. The only thing I can think of is to pull the pan from the old L16 to use on the L20. Dam!

• Like 1

Don't know. The pan on the L16 that came out had a rear sump. The one that came with the L20 has a middle sump. I have a third sump that came with an other L20 (I think 620) that's also a middle sump.

BTW the 2 middle sump oil pans are exactly the same. My point is I don't think any of the middle sump pans came from a 620.

I removed the L16 pan, sandblasted it and dropped it off at JRock's. He's going to fast track a powder coating job to help me out.

My 620 knowledge is increasing exponentially.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Al lot has happened since my last post...

Got the engine in and running a month ago.  Started on third try & ran well for a while. The 2.0L runs much better than the 1.6L in town.  Much more torque, so don't have to rev the shit out of it.

XdnEXJ0.jpg

All was not well as I started experiencing cooling issues... Changed/flushed the cooling system 5 times but could not get rid of the rusty water. Turned out that the replacement block was filled with rusty sludge. Ended up up pulling the thermostat & water pump and stuffed the garden hose into the thermostat housing to get all the sludge out. Sludge was so bad that the part of the water pump impeller that was in the sludge was half the thickness of the portion of the impeller that was out of the sludge.

As it over heated, puking rusty coolant everywhere, I have re-torqued the head.  I'm hoping that this will prevent a future head gasket failure.

I guess you can call it 'project creep' cause I ended up finding many parts that needed replacing. Seamed like every time I turned around I was placing an order with Amazon (to take advantage of Prime's two day shipping).

A list of the parts replaced (so far) :)

Water pump

Thermostat

Motor mounts

Clutch slave cylinder

Clutch hose

Exedy clutch kit 06008 (Clutch info here: Clutch Question for a 620, L20b, 6-bolt 200mm flywheel, 280zx 5-speed Mix & Match)

I'm now In the process of changing the radiator out.  After soldering up 4 different leaks, I'm tired of fixing the old one.

Once I get the radiator done I'll  see what I can do to get the SUs running better.  I have them at full lean but they are still running rich.  I did pick up a Uni-Syn and I'll read up on SU adjustment. The learning continues...

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...

Time for an update...

Got tired of fixing radiator leaks... Solder one up and it would spring a leak in a different spot. After the 5th leak I just bough a new one...

2e30PbW.jpg

Still trying to get the SU's dialed in.  Bought a UniSyn but still not right.  Got them balanced, however they're still too rich.

• Like 3
  • 6 months later...