521 EFI fuel tank, surge tank, pump(s)

brodster

Here's what I am up to. My wife and I are shortly going to be involved in doing a L20b EFI swap into the 521. Keeping the setup looking stock is very important to me, but not 100% critical.

The biggest hurdle right now is dealing with the fuel tank. Currently we have the truck bed off and are doing some serious painting and cleaning up. Bought some POR-15 fuel tank sealer to clean up the tank. So here are my options I am considering:

1. Fuel tank: Modify with in tank pump and baffles OR surge tank/low pressure pump.

2. If using all the external pump equipment, where to put all that equipment.

3. One thought would be to put one of the pumps up where the fuel vapor can goes, and get rid of that thing. I am just not sure if I want all that equipment hanging out beneath the truck.

4. Place the fuel return line in the gas tank filler neck or right to the tank. (Which fitting did others use?)

5. Get a new tank that is designed for EFI already. Which one will fit well.

Just not sure of the details. Most pump systems seem to have everything mounted at the same level or below the fuel tank.

Again I just want something that performs well, but does not take away from the stock look too much.

Thanks

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I modified a Kia Sportage in tank setup. Use the existing vapor return as a fuel return and you are set, and it looks stock. :cool: I think I have pics in my build thread. (project FTO)

Mark

That's exactly the type of thing I am looking for. I don't weld, but I have a friend who does up here. I will get in touch with him and see if he is willing to help with the gas tank welding.

On that note, I found this site the other day: http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=84/category_id=61/home_id=61/mode=prod/prd84.htm

Probably not as cheap, but a similar solution.

So Mark, did you get rid of that vapor canister thing? Or is that still installed. Where is it fed to if still installed?

Thanks

Just be careful with welding the gas tank. I flushed it out with water a few times and then purged it with nitrogen while welding. Yes, I got rid of the vapor canister in the bed and just plugged the unused ports on the tank and fill neck. I have done the surge tank thing on another car using the vapor tank as the surge tank and the 2 fuel pumps. It works fine but I don't like all the extra plumbing required and the fuel pump noise, especially from the high pressure pump. IMHO, in tank is the best way to go.

Mark