Hi we're new here

Cuz'n'Chub

Howdy Ya'll,

We're new to the forum, we have a 1978 Datsun 620 Pickup, We got it in 1985. its a 5 speed,L20..

trying to get it to run again, similar idle problems like some of you all have explained in your posts.

will post some pics of it soon as we can, really love the forum, you all are really dedicated Datsun owners!!!

thanks for being here with all your knowledge, it has helped us a lot . love all the lil pickups!!

Thanks !!! Cuz 'n' Chub

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it that it's been sitting for a while??

Does it have a stock carb on it?

Hi datzenmike,

it has set off and on,, we drove it when we first got it, and then had a head gasket blow,

we broke a bolt off trying to get the head off, finally got it done, then drove it for a while , had to park it while on out of state for a while, now the clutch needs to be done, its slipping,

and ,,,far as we know its got the original equipment, the carb is a hitachi 340, ,has the air pump (its froze ) so we were considering bypassing all the egr stuff, been reading on the forum here and hope to get into this more later on,

thanks for the reply,,,Cuz'n'Chub

did you know that Tulsa backwards is a slut?

Welcome

How/why would you even know that? You have to much time on your hands, if you have run out of stuff to do on your datsuns, you can come over and work on mine, it'll give you something to do other than thinking of stuff like the above post. :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

high idle? Make sure you check the timing.

and welcome to ratsun

Thanks Hercules and all of ya!!! for all your replies,

we have been foolin' with the carburetor, it idles really fast and we turned the idle and air/fuel mixture screws,

and it seems to be getting better, we changed a fuel line that was cracked ,cleaned the carb with carb spray, havent got to take it off and really clean it yet,,

on the timing issue ,it wont start at all til we move the distributor( turn it clockwise) all the way ,then it starts and runs

it will backfire if we dont keep adjusting the idle and fuel/air mixture screws, runs good awhile then shut it off and idle changes on its own ,

it has good power and after it warms up awhile it will run good. it is the Hitachi stock carb.

also it has all the air pump and smog stuff on it but the air pump is froze, no belt, not sure if we should attempt to take all that stuff off,

we saw some posts on here where it was removed on some of your trucks, may consider that , with ya'lls help:)

really enjoying the forum working on the rust spots too, may try and get some pics up soon

thanks again folks cuz & chub

2 new members w/ white 620's from Tulsa... I should call up my Ma and tell her to buy a 620 and get in on this. Get enough of ya's, and yall could do a cruise-in :) Welcome to the forum, don't have too much fun ;)

Thanks crackerjack69, ,my hubby's name is Jack and his buds call him crackerjack sometimes ,but most call him Cousin Jack,,

anyway,,, thanks for the welcome and yeah,,,, there are a few okies around T-Town with these lil trucks,and we luv to work on our lil Datsun, (its actually a beige/tan color, see we need better pics:) thanks again Cuz & Chub

Thanks crackerjack69, ,my hubby's name is Jack and his buds call him crackerjack sometimes ,but most call him Cousin Jack,,

anyway,,, thanks for the welcome and yeah,,,, there are a few okies around T-Town with these lil trucks,and we luv to work on our lil Datsun, (its actually a beige/tan color, see we need better pics:) thanks again Cuz & Chub

K, so I should call my Ma, AND have my eyes checked! lol. You may wanna take some spare tubing and use like a stethoscope, poke around see if you can hear any hissing at vacuum connections. I hear old timers spray flammable stuff like carb cleaner, starting fluid, on hoses and connection points and listen for raised idle, which would indicate the mixture got sucked into the vacuum leak, changed the air/fuel ratio. Hmmm. Stethoscope sounds safer....

K, so I should call my Ma, AND have my eyes checked! lol. You may wanna take some spare tubing and use like a stethoscope, poke around see if you can hear any hissing at vacuum connections. I hear old timers spray flammable stuff like carb cleaner, starting fluid, on hoses and connection points and listen for raised idle, which would indicate the mixture got sucked into the vacuum leak, changed the air/fuel ratio. Hmmm. Stethoscope sounds safer....

hey crackerjack69,

yeah call your Ma for sure,, will do some checking on the vacuum leaks,,, we haven't tore into the egr stuff yet.

got a stethoscope, we may take all that stuff off and see what happens, And hope we don't mess up!!!

thanks for the input,Cuz & Chub