My sr20det Datsun 510 build saga...

SSSEXXX

@paradime - No way, you didn't come off that way at all!  But, let me get this out of the way. Your car looks soooooo awesome.  That is some motivation right there.  I love, LOVE the color and the body work, she looks as straight and as fresh as possible.  I have a ton of questions for you sir!!

1 - You shaved the fuel door key.  How difficult was the install and wiring of the popper?  I assume you went the Maxima DIY route?

2 - Unless my eyes are deceived, carbon fiber rear bumper??? HELLO Details!!!

3 - How do you feel about the fuel cell in a weekend driver, not meant for autoX?  I have been tossing around the idea of one, but I want to find a solution that can be tweaked to fit in the OEM location.  It just seems more safe to me.  I would love to hear your thoughts though.

4 - I see you went witht he rubber seals without the chrome trim.  I have been considering this too.  I was hoping that it would look "cleaner."  Yours looks quite good without it. I cant tell if it is because the rest of the car has blacked out chrome or because it is just a much more simple feel.

I have heard a lot of people have similar bad experiences with engine installers and tuners.  I am very much afraid of falling victim to the same thing and had just assumed that I would have to do it on my own.  How did you eventually work through the problem?  DIfferent shop?

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Man, Thanks for the compliments. Means a lot. Q/A 1. I shaved everything off the car, even the door locks. The cell is filled at the bulkhead right now. I would have shaved the gas door too, but wanted to keep the option of running the filler through there. Right now it's tacked shut. Q/A 2. My plan was to powder coat everything satin black, but I found there were a few guys fabbing up CF parts for the 510, so I started with the bumpers and got them from Futofab. I got front and rear door panels, thresholds, and air dam/scoop from Pare Composites. Unfortunately Dave Pare was murdered a short while ago.  He was a really active contributer to the cause and a nice guy.  Huge loss for the 510 community. Talk to Dave at Futofab though, he may have a line on other CF components. Q/A 3. To be honest safety wasn't the first consideration in placing the cell there. From a performance standpoint having the weight as low as possible was the driving factor. Looks kind of spooky though doesn't it? That being said the fuel cell I have is designed to be crushed without spilling. There is an internal bladder made of military aircraft grade ballistic rubber that is specifically designed to sustain high impact. Q/A 4. I think it looks cleaner to have the Cali style window seals, but that's a matter of subjective taste. For my over all design concept for the car it was important to strip everything to it's most basic form. If I had it to do over again I would have powder coated the stainless trim and used the traditional rubber seal. Turns out the trim isn't there just for looks. it protects the rubber from the sun as well. I already have hair line cracks in mine.

I installed my motor, but I'm not skilled in the magic of electricity, so I hire this shop to do it. I've never run stainless fuel lines either and didn't want to practice on this car. As for tuning, there are a ton of hacks out there with access to a dyno who call themselves tuners, but it's an art that very few people can actually do, and even fewer have mastered. The owner of the shop had a great reputation as a tuner, but he was out of his depth when it came to working on cars. After this shop botched the electrical and failed to get it started they tried to blame it on the motor saying it had a leak down in the #1 cyl of 7psi. It was at that point that I knew I'd been played all along. I took the car to Rebello Racing and in less that an hour they had it running. It took them another two days to fix all the shit the other shop did wrong though. Black point in my build for sure.

If you have any more questions just post'm up and I'll see if I can help.  

Ill still hang out and you have my email address so you can just contact me.  I think you have my phone number as well.

I didnt need the money from the sale, I am only selling it because it is a constant reminder of my failure to finish this project.  Plus it would be nice to clear out all that space.  I could finish it over time but I know I couldn't drive it due to the pain, so I lost interest in it.  It is never any fun working on something for a few hours then deal with the days of pain you suffer from it.

Look what I was fortunate enough to find. A 1986 300ZX R200 LSD with a 3.70 gear ratio and the lovely finned cover. I was going to go R180, but I couldn't find a good clutch type LSD for a decent price. Subaru rears from 2004-2007 fit the bill, but then you are looking at an additional money for the stubs and CV conversions. I saved some money going this route and got a unit that can handle horsepower far beyond my projected 300 rwhp max dream if I ever go T3. As doubtful as that ever is. I like the idea of a GT2860 or a 2871RS. But, I digress.

8617632677_8a08be3595.jpg

8617631859_fc2a1ba05c.jpg

Anyone have any good tutorials on disassembly and restoration of this unit? I want to take it apart, clean her up and powder coat the casing a nice black while I powder coat the finned cover.

@SR20DETdatsun510 - I know exactly what you mean.  So was I.  I had given up and was looking for something else from the 04-07 Subaru realm.  When I saw this, i couldn't believe how good the condition of the cover was.  I think I am going to powder coat the cover red to match my valve cover.  Then paint the differential housing a high heat black to match the rest of the suspension and rear sub frame.  I need to know more about how to take one apart though.

• Like 1

Hey SSSEXXX

That dif will handle it all day long, but if you plan on using your car as a daily driver you'll still need CV axles. The stock U joint axles will not hold up to the kind of power you're going to make. Especially if you lower it. I guess it all depends on how you drive it though. When we installed an R200 in a buddy's 510 aside from the obvious mustache bar and drive shaft mods, we also had to remove the drive shaft flange to get that monster through the X-member tunnel. I recall it was a PITA to get it off without an impact wrench. Just a heads up.

So, I have been busy traveling and researching, but have been acquiring parts for the rear subframe build for the last couple of weeks.  I am also finished with the epoxy on the garage floor and haved moved on to painting the walls and ceiling of the garage with a high gloss white and a high gloss light grey with an electric blue accent color.  My work bench has arrived and that will be put together once painting is complete.  That should all be this weekend if I stay a good boy.  At this rate, I am going to need a Datsun/Garage Work conjugal visit since that is literally where all my free time has been going.  I will post pictures as parts start to roll in and images of the garage and my progress this weekend.  I do have some questions to address that I cannot seem to find clear answers to.  So, lets start with a detailed list of what has and is to be purchased.

PURCHASED:

• Techno Toy Tuning Front Coilover Conversion for Datsun 510 with 280zx Casting (Although I started the 280zx strut conversion and bought Tokicos arleady, the cost wasn't that much greater to just buy the set and sell what I have.)
  • Techno Toy Tuning Rear Coilover Conversion
  • Techno Toy Tuning Roll Center Adjusters for Datsun 510
  • Techno Toy Tuning Camber Plates for Datsun 510 & Upper Hats
  • 1986-87 300ZX R200 CLSD Rear Differential (3.700)
  • Futo Fab (Byron via Dave) Rear Camber / Toe Adjusters (I went this route rather than Datsport because there seemed to be more access to people who know how to adjust this kit and it is pretty obvious that Dave was willing and able to help me when the time came to adjust it.)
  • JC Whitney Rear Control Arm Bushings (4 total OEM Rubber because the Rear Camber Adjusters don't play nice with Polyurethane.)
TO BE PURCHASED:
  • ARP Knurl Wheel Studs (.509") 100-7708 12mm x 1.5 and 2.5" long (Thoughts / concerns are welcome here.  I found many more lug options in the 1.5 versus the 1.25 oem variant.  Are these too long for my NOS Watanable RS-Eights 15 x 6.5 with +21 offset?)
  • Wolf Creek CV Half Shaft Axel Kit
  • Datsport R200 Mustache Bar
  • Rear Crossmember bushings
  • Industrial Application Double sealed bearings (4) and two seals and an OEM Nissan locknut. (some High Heat grease too)  Still trying to find photos to go with the FSM for this.
TO GET DONE (AND TAKE PHOTOS OF):
  • Rear subframe breakdown.
  • Rear cross member opened for 3" exhaust, welded brackets and bushings installed.
  • Powder coat rear control arms and cross member in a high gloss black.
  • Powder coat R200 cover in red to match valve cover.
  • Paint casing of R200 in high gloss black high heat engine enamel.
  • Wheel hub breakdown and restoration.  ( I REALLY want these to look fresh and clean.  Do I just sand blast and powder coat them once the lugs and bearings are out? I'm not finding much guidance here.)
  • Install lugs, bearings.
  • Install Wilwood rear slotted disk brakes and 2 pot calipers.
  • Install R200.
  • Install coilovers
  • Sit back and take in the glory that is one super sexy rear subframe for a car that isn't here yet. 
  • Make "vrooooooooooom" sounds in the garage while imaging the drive to keep motivated.
  • Do NOT look at your wallet, it will most likely still be bleeding.
  • Do NOT get or ever tell a future girlfriend about the time or effort that went in to this.
  • Then get ready to do it all over again for the front sub frame.
  • Like 1

Got to work Friday night and didn't stop until just now. I had already finished the epoxy on the other side of the floor. I used a little less flake so I could find the nuts and bolts I'm sure ill drop working on the Miracle Whip reassembly.

8651326926_b8e3a2fd86.jpg

So here is where we started Friday night. An entire Datsun 510 in pieces on my floor and 6 gallons of paint in three colors. The walls, ceiling and a little repair work needed to be addressed. So I jumped right in to it....

8650229363_72a67cd3c6.jpg

8651329068_e459af5017.jpg

8650231695_9f1fbf6611.jpg

Took everything off the shelves and started repairing holes. Then masked off everything that I would most likely accidentally get paint on. Prepping for painting completely sucks by the way. I have an entirely new respect for anyone who paints for a living...

8650232727_4fca5ab9cc.jpg

High gloss white on top, grey on bottom. That ceiling took FOREVER. And getting the paint even was ridiculous. I won't be doing that again ever...

8650233693_71354bea8d.jpg

Then it was time to mask off for the blue stripe getting this thing level or reasonably close to it also took FOREVER. Either I'm mentally challenged, too anal retentive for my own good, or a good mixture of both...

8650234717_80a3d75d98.jpg

Then it was three coats of blue...

8650235731_ee801725d3.jpg

8651335108_76d4142127.jpg

And presto, change-o we have a magical garage. I couldn't clean the clutter up because the paint was still drying. I managed to mess a spot in the epoxy up when I removed what I thought was dry paint. Oops!

8651336236_9eb4d83ae4.jpg

Those boxes in front also have my industrial steel workbench in them too. Didn't get to that and my lower back is killing me. I started receiving parts in for the subframe build too..

Techno Toy Tuning adjustable rear coil overs with 200lb springs and RCAs ..

8650254597_03db937c3f.jpg

And the rear control arm rubber bushings for the adjustable rear cross member mod en route from Dave at FutoFab...

8651351884_d01aa20fb0.jpg

I may have gone a bit overboard in preparing for the Datsun to come home. But, I know I'll be in the garage a lot working on her.

Good prep work is the hallmark of any great project. You've really done your work here, and I'm soooo looking forward to see'n those updates. BTW those are some killer goodies you ordered too. :w00t:  Bring on the pain!

@paradime - Thank you man!! I'm growing tired of prep work and research, but it is a necessary evil I suppose.

Not a huge update, but parts continue to roll in. Futo Fab adjustable rear cross member brackets are in. Great looking quality and extremely well packed. I only wish I knew how to adjust the damn things lol.

8654723044_986cd5b0a7.jpg

• Like 1

Another small update.  Front Techno Toy Tuning coilovers with 225lb springs, camber plates and upper hats arrived today.  I am not going to lie, I haven't been this physically aroused in a long time.  Man these things are really sexy!!

8657128768_8ec95fcc60.jpg

As would be par for the course of my life.  With every window of prosperity, there is a dark ominous reward.  Today I got a lovely letter from the IRS.  I'm getting a (rectal) examination.  I give so much to charity.  Seriously, I am thinking about stopping.  It just triggers things like this.  So aggravating.

But, I digress. More parts continue to roll in.  My ARP wheel studs are here.  Decided to go longer and with a 1.5mm versus the stock 1.25mm size.  I found many more lug options in this size, but it isn't that big of a deal.  I guess now you could say that I'm kind of studly??

8673471493_940c02fd44.jpg

I went ahead and got the double sealed industrial grade wheel bearings, wheel seals, and two OEM Nissan locknuts..

8673472495_3001b54405.jpg

Also en route is my Wolf Creek CV half shaft axel kit and R200 stubs, OEM wheel dust covers and cotter pins.  All I need now is an R200 mustache bar because Datsport has been impossible to get ahold of.  I placed an order, but haven't heard anything Tracy is super swamped without Baz and her backlog is filling up every day.  And I need some poly urethane rear crossmember bushings.  Otherwise the rear end is supplied and ready to roll.  I was going to start the breakdown of the rear end tonight, but after my letter from the IRS I wanted to cry so I didn't think I was in the right place to get to work.  So aggravating.

Have a great night folks. I'm headed to meet my friend Jameson at the rocks...

Got to work Friday night and didn't stop until just now. I had already finished the epoxy on the other side of the floor. I used a little less flake so I could find the nuts and bolts I'm sure ill drop working on the Miracle Whip reassembly.

8651326926_b8e3a2fd86.jpg

So here is where we started Friday night. An entire Datsun 510 in pieces on my floor and 6 gallons of paint in three colors. The walls, ceiling and a little repair work needed to be addressed. So I jumped right in to it....

8650229363_72a67cd3c6.jpg

8651329068_e459af5017.jpg

8650231695_9f1fbf6611.jpg

Took everything off the shelves and started repairing holes. Then masked off everything that I would most likely accidentally get paint on. Prepping for painting completely sucks by the way. I have an entirely new respect for anyone who paints for a living...

8650232727_4fca5ab9cc.jpg

High gloss white on top, grey on bottom. That ceiling took FOREVER. And getting the paint even was ridiculous. I won't be doing that again ever...

8650233693_71354bea8d.jpg

Then it was time to mask off for the blue stripe getting this thing level or reasonably close to it also took FOREVER. Either I'm mentally challenged, too anal retentive for my own good, or a good mixture of both...

8650234717_80a3d75d98.jpg

Then it was three coats of blue...

8650235731_ee801725d3.jpg

8651335108_76d4142127.jpg

And presto, change-o we have a magical garage. I couldn't clean the clutter up because the paint was still drying. I managed to mess a spot in the epoxy up when I removed what I thought was dry paint. Oops!

8651336236_9eb4d83ae4.jpg

Those boxes in front also have my industrial steel workbench in them too. Didn't get to that and my lower back is killing me. I started receiving parts in for the subframe build too..

Techno Toy Tuning adjustable rear coil overs with 200lb springs and RCAs ..

8650254597_03db937c3f.jpg

And the rear control arm rubber bushings for the adjustable rear cross member mod en route from Dave at FutoFab...

8651351884_d01aa20fb0.jpg

I may have gone a bit overboard in preparing for the Datsun to come home. But, I know I'll be in the garage a lot working on her.

finish the paint job or pull the tape off already,i cant think or sleep at night.

Been working on the garage a lot, not going to lie.  The space is done for now.  If anyone wants to see it, let me know.  I got an industrial work bench installed, more overhead storage, and a snazzy Datsun racing flag. 

Nope, although I think I know the guy who you are talking about lol.  I'm farther south.

So, my Wolf Creek Racing CV axel kit and R200 stub axes came in and everything looks great.  One of the most well packaged kits I have ever received.  And, they even gave me some amazing instructions with pictures that were extremely detailed.  Great stuff!!  I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them again.  All I need now are my rear cross member poly urethane bushings and an R200 mustache bar.

8700594602_0ec0f44f34.jpg

Been crazy swamped with work, the gym, and trying to sleep 4 hours a night.  I know I am laggin on the breakdown of the rear subframe.  Promise I'll start soon.