Dad's 1969 Datsun 510 build

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming the wife must not have the desire to drive it much, if you're selling her car...........but man, she looks absolutely devastated in that one picture. At least, I'm assuming that's her in the drivers seat.

The paint on your new one looks great though.

I'm assuming the wife must not have the desire to drive it much, if you're selling her car...........but man, she looks absolutely devastated in that one picture. At least, I'm assuming that's her in the drivers seat.

The paint on your new one looks great though.

Ya, that is the wife. She was all paranoid about moving the car around back in to the garage with new paint, seating on a crate, and messed up steering.

Actually the wife has been driving it for 2 years everyday to work, about 60 miles round trip. She goes on a nice curvy road section of about 15 miles, she just loves driving the car through that part. We bought a 2011 VW Golf TDI, she used her 510 as the bench mark for her new car. She fell for the Golf because she felt like she was in the 510, mostly because the 510 has the same seats, just an older version. She still hops in the 510 to take it for a spin and always says I just love that car. We have another one not far away from being finished, she will be in it I'm sure.

bad son destroying a datto like that, it brought a tear to my eye.

oh what year is your Chevy truck?

edit: you did lash your son with a Datsun dip stick after the datto was destroyed, right

Sadly enough, he had all of his money in that car. So, he lost everything he had worked for the past 4 years. He was pretty much in shock about the loss, he felt bad enough.

LOL, the Chevy is a 1969 3/4 ton, it was my brothers. I have one of a 1986 Toyota Landcruiser I wanted to a build on, but its my daily driver now. Here it is in all its glory!

SideView2.jpg

Thanks for the compliments on the paint colors. I have done some more lettering, black paint around the windows and lower valance. I will try to get some pictures snapped of it this weekend. I will be organizing the garage and maybe able to get to the car! I have the rear suspension removed to install a Datsport rear cross member. So, I can't roll it out to take the pictures as I would like, but I will get some taken of the new work.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, sorry its been a while since updating Dad's build, but the son's college fund has drained funds! I have done some work on the car. I had some more detailed painting done. I painted the lower rear valence, the front window frame and rear window frame in gloss black. I had the Championship logo air brushed and "BRE DATSUN", put on the front fenders. I will try to get better shots of the way I framed the window areas and pillar with the gloss black.

P6170638.jpg

P6170636.jpg

P6170635.jpg

P6170631.jpg

I have finish installing a adjustable rear xmember (weld up kind) from Datsport and all new front steering components. I'm have 280ZX coil over front strut assemblies and Tien chamber plates. I will try to get some post up some pics of the front suspension and rear xmember in the next few days.
So, check back

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well I finally got a few things done on the car. I sealed the transmission and wheel wells with Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator and Brushable Seam Sealer. I was very happy with the finished product. I was able to easily apply both products with a throw away paint brush. I put on a coat of the encapsulator, then applied the seam sealer, and then a second coat of encapsulator. Here is a picture of the product and the job I did.
Encapsulator and the grey is the Brushable seam sealer I applied at sheet metal seams.

Eastwoodsealers.jpg

Tunnelsealer.jpg

After second coat

Tunnelundercoat3.jpg

I have replaced all of the steering components with new. I upgraded the control arms to adjustable and with ball joint ends, same on the T/C arms. I still would like to get the steering box rebuilt or replaced with a rebuilt one. If any of you see this and can help me with the a source for the steering box, it would be appreciated.

Here is some shots of the steering.
EngineBay.jpg
510FrontEndSide.jpg
510FrontEnd.jpg

So, I was finally able to steer the car out of the garage and take a recent shot of the car with the added detailing paint.

Before Detailed Paint

P9250065.jpg

After Detail added

RecentDriverside.jpg

Now I need to do the interior with same stuff and add the Dynamat Extreme!! :frantics:

Nice work.. I have a BRE 510 replica myself... I saw you in my neighborhood (East Whittier) probably around 3-4 years ago when you came in the white 510 for some type of Christmas party I assume (It was around Christmas)...

• 2 months later...

How about an update?

OK, here is what I have done lately.

1) Used Eastwood's "Rust Encapsulator" and " Brushable Seam Sealer", on the interior floor pan, firewall, inside the doors, and rear 1/4 panels.

2) Covered over vent inlets ( the new Vintage Air unit has a dehumidifier

3) Installed "Dynamat Extreme"

4) Made brackets and Installed Vintage Air Evaporator/ Heater Unit, Gen II Mini Heat/ Cool/ Defrost, 66005-VUZ-A, from Summit Racing, or visit http://www.vintageair.com/ for all their stuff. I will go in to more detail on the installation of the A/C when I have more time, and most likely make it a seperate thread.

5) Installed Power sport Roll bar.

Doesn't seem like much, but it was a lot of work. I have documented, measured, made a parts list, and took pictures of the A/C installation. I just don't have time right now to put it all up on the post.

Step 1, Yes I have seam sealer in an unusual area around the transmission tunnel, the previous owner cut out the tunnel to do the Rotary engine conversion, I had a guy weld it back in for me. I don't trust that the welding didn't have a small pin hole somewhere. So, I use seam sealer on both sides of the weld and makes it waterproof even before painting or putting down the Dynamat.

FrontSealed.jpg

RearSealed.jpg

Step 3

PA040727.jpg

PA040726.jpg

A/C Unit Intalled

ACInstalled.jpg

A/C unit is the heater core, air conditioner, defrost and dehumidifier, and replaces the old Datsun complete heater system. Just as a warning, you can't run the A/C set up with a Turbo SR or Turbo KA, have issues with room for the compressor and condenser. I prefer modern luxury, reliablity, and choose to go with a KA24DE and the A/C set up for my daily driver. In a nut shell, you use the 240SX compressor, the 240SX A/C lines from the compressor, and the rest I buy Vintage Air items to complete the system. I use their condenser because it is 40% more efficient then most stock condensers.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Finally have gotten back on my project car!!  Hoping to have on the road in a month, whoooo!!  So, I thought I'd get on the forum and update some pictures of my build, with more to come soon!!

1/2 shafts converted to CV joints and added the sway bar (green).  This pic I didn't have the rear coil overs installed yet.

CVhalfshaft.jpeg

280ZX Front Wilwood calipers and bigger rotors ?

Front%20Brakes.jpeg

S13 240SX rear disc conversion and Troy Irmish rear coilovers?

RearBrakes.jpeg

This is the engine bay from sometime ago, much further along then this picture

My%20510%20Motor.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I can't see any of the pictures....

Hmmmm, can you see the other pics posted?

Photobucket for all of my pics, and i'm able to see them all, old and recent.  I did have to use the URL for direct link option on Phototbucket, to be excepted by this website, when choosing the "insert other media" tab.

Browser setting? Anti virus program?  I'm not enough of a tech to help out with the problem or if its just specific to you.  I do get the watermark, "proudly hosted on photobucket" on the pics. 

8 hours ago, Draker said:

I can see the pictures and they look good! Looks like you are pretty close to on the road. Been a long journey that's for sure.

Thanks for coming back and updating this thread!

Never quit!!  Just have to persevere and keep saving money to put in the restoration 💲💲💲😬