I'm getting a huge cam for my L20B

Guest kamakazi620

Thanks for the heads up! It'd cost me more in gas to go down there than the head haha. Worth it though, I will see where I'm at when I get back from vacation in two weeks.

Me and dave were just talking about how to achieve a 10:1 while doing this build.

I called a local machine shop and they quoted me about a grand and a month out on the head which is what I was expecting.

I should probably start this build thread soon.

i gots a rebuildable a87 peanut head i'll let go for $100

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I've been told. But I wouldn't know what I'm doing at all so with something that needs to be as perfect as this I wouldn't want to practice on it.

I have the blown J15 that came in my PL411 that I'm going to rebuild. It'll be my first rebuild, and I'm sure I will have lots more to practice on.

I'm always for it if any ratsun members want to come over and help teach me haha

You're not going to do all the head work yourself? Porting/polishing L heads is fairly easy, and doesn't cost a grand. Just about $30 for a football aluminum grinding bit.

Yup. Got it.

2011-08-30220513_Bremerton_Washington_US.jpg

Picked it up from Frank out in everett. Mystery cam. Custom, anyone heard of the guy? I can't really make out the full last name just a few letters.

Anyway the assumption is that is .490 lift, I didn't get a pic of the side of it solo

However yesterday I did pickup up a few engines,trannies,pumps,carbs,covers,.... You can see the cam laying next to the A15 by the drivers side.

2011-08-30220406_BainbridgeIsland_Washington_US.jpg

I will not use the stock springs.

I just picked up the cam by itself, but at a price that I don't mind anything I need to buy :D

So do you think it's a custom grind then if someone felt the need to sign it in cursive...

No I dont think its a custom ground cam and it really isnt all that big of a cam to be honest the cam in Lisas 510 is just shy of that.

Call Isky and give them the numbers off the back of the cam they should be able to give you info on it

here you go

http://iskycams.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2665&cPath=15

Edited by 69FJWagon

I'm on the hunt for a new head right now. U67 if anyone has one they want to sell me!

why use a open chamber head? if your building it for power I would use a closed chamber head to add compression with out using an aftermaket pistons

Yeah the cam is the size that I was honestly hoping it would be. Any bigger and I don't think I'd be driving it around town too much. When I wrote the post all I knew is that it was the largest that could fit in an l20b without modifications. Well mods to fit the cam.

No I dont think its a custom ground cam and it really isnt all that big of a cam to be honest the cam in Lisas 510 is just shy of that.

Call Isky and give them the numbers off the back of the cam they should be able to give you info on it

here you go

http://iskycams.com/...d=2665&cPath=15

I'm going closed chamber. We left the option on the table for charging but I'm sure now what we are doing.

that being said as well, I am keeping my out for the head I will need. I just picked up the engine for my PL411 yesterday, and will be painting my engine bay and the engine and dropping it in over the next couple weeks.

I am keeping my eyes open for a local guy who has a good head, and I would almost prefer one that was machined already. If it fits the specs of what I need it could save me alot of money.

I would make a thread for it specifically but it might go stagnant for lengths of time, so I think I will just keep taking pics and keeping track of things and make it right before it's finished. Until then this thread will probably be the spot to watch for updates on the build.

I appreciate alot of your guys info and it was ALL taken into consideration. If you have any advice that could help me out let me know. Other than the obvious "Don't do its"

why use a open chamber head? if your building it for power I would use a closed chamber head to add compression with out using an aftermaket pistons

Yuppers!

The cam is sitting wrapped up in some shop towel, wet from the ASSEMBLY lube ;)

Won't be touching my engine any time soon. Not until it can handle the high RPM I will need just to drive it around haha.

Spray bar will happen.

I think I am giving myself about a 3 month realistic time frame here. Just accumulation of all the parts I'm going to need, getting the head machined (unless someones got a hot one to sell) another outlaw, the manifold and linkage for the two outlaws, which I lied about making sidedrafts just so we didn't have to argue about that when I just wanted feedback on spring brands!!! I want a downdraft just for the uniqueness factor.

Dual valve springs I'm thinking will be next.

Then a huge fucking fuel tank to handle my new gas hungry machine!

Just beware that more can be less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think thats what will happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theres no plug at the end of the cam so means you need to plug it, or run a spray bar(more cost$$)

I would plug it ans run a turbo/KA pump

Yeah the cam is the size that I was honestly hoping it would be. Any bigger and I don't think I'd be driving it around town too much. When I wrote the post all I knew is that it was the largest that could fit in an l20b without modifications. Well mods to fit the cam.

The cam lift isn't really of issue when driving around town...it's the duration.

You need to get the duration/overlap specs from Isky.

I think you can go up to .508ish lift without mods to the pistons????

Spray bar will happen.

Dual valve springs I'm thinking will be next.

Then a huge fucking fuel tank to handle my new gas hungry machine!

wolf creek racing / design products have them.

well you call ISKY about the lash caps, also get the dual springs and retainers from them.

im running the 480, very fun street motor.

even @15 mpg, the 10g tank hasnt been a hassle.

Oh yeah she will be ready for canby. I'm on a plane now heading out for my week long vacation, or id put this money into my truck!

I'm back in washington in a week, then getting the engine into the 411 will be a top priority, but I will be collecting parts for this build. I'm giving myself about a 3-4 month timeline on the full engine rebuild, and getting my rearend ready for it as well. That's including custom intake,forged pistons,rods,lashcaps,spray bar,another outlaw, etc...

I know its gonna cost moolah, and when the ball rolls hard I will post a build thread that will be updated with what I did, and how much it cost. Then the next time this comes up you guys will have a priced out build thread to scare kids off with :D

Thanks for more input guys! Its appreciated.

I'm probably going to email isky while I'm on my trip though haha. I need to know these things!