Make a cam-in valve spring compresser

hogboy52

This is some unknown scrap, looks like seat rail. It is 1+1/4 in. wide. Because the cam towers are so close to the valve springs. it can not be much wider.

GEDC0017.jpg

The "adjustable pivot" (bolt & two nuts) is 1+1/4 in. from the valve stem. Also needed is some flat metal to place under the cam heel. (Bad photo)

GEDC0023.jpg

This a mock-up. I don't feel like taking my motor apart just for pictures. The socket on top is the cam. The socket on the right is the valve spring. This is position one.

GEDC0020.jpg

Here is position two.

GEDC0024.jpg

IMPORTANT: using a straight handle like this will require unscrewing the ball adjusters from the head for clearance or a bend can be added to the handle.

Considering how crude it looks it actually worked quite well.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keepers were a bitch to remove?

This worked good with stock spring heights...but.... not as well with taller springs

P1250002.jpg

Not that expensive...60 bucks....'you' could probably purchase it for 30

Kudos for improvising........ :thumbup:

I had no problem with the retainers, I could jigger the cap around and the retainers would pop out with a strong magnet.

The original problem was that the cam was too high above the springs to get a proper angle for levering the springs down. Taller springs would make it easier. Actually my photo is somewhat exaggerated on the length of the bolt necessary to get a good angle. I stuck that one in there just for the photo-op.

What can be seen in the last pic of yours is how much the ball-end adjusters are in the way. They would need to be removed.

This was strictly a one time job to replace the stem seals. The motor had been putting out an oil puff on start-up. I really don't need an extra tool lying about.