hood struts

dennis

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have a tutorial or knowledge on installing hood struts. I know of two people who provide kits but I wanted to try and do this cheap and provide the information for other Ratsun members.

Laecoen (sp?) did it with some civic hatchback struts i believe. its in his project thread.

• Like 1

Yea, just went to the Junkyard and looked for a Civic Hatchback.

Importantly, you want as short as possible, blade style ends (not ball and cup). You want to be able to use a bolt through the hole.

I then went to the hardware store, found some bolts, went home plotted some holes, drilled and installed. I did have to grind a portion of the lower attachment for where I bolted it. It was rubbing the car. Reason I mounted it so low was that I can actually reach a nut on the other side.

SNC11097.JPG

Definitely do both sides. 1 wont hold it, and the hood flexes like crazy.

Also notice in this picture, the random hole in the upper hinge piece. That happens when you think you did it right but your struts are too long.

I love this mod! Makes the hood stay up easy, and the hood goes up even higher now, as high as the hinges allow. It is so much easier to get under the hood of my car.

• Like 1

Yea, just went to the Junkyard and looked for a Civic Hatchback.

Importantly, you want as short as possible, blade style ends (not ball and cup). You want to be able to use a bolt through the hole.

I then went to the hardware store, found some bolts, went home plotted some holes, drilled and installed. I did have to grind a portion of the lower attachment for where I bolted it. It was rubbing the car. Reason I mounted it so low was that I can actually reach a nut on the other side.

Definitely do both sides. 1 wont hold it, and the hood flexes like crazy.

Also notice in this picture, the random hole in the upper hinge piece. That happens when you think you did it right but your struts are too long.

I love this mod! Makes the hood stay up easy, and the hood goes up even higher now, as high as the hinges allow. It is so much easier to get under the hood of my car.

Thanks, are those hatchback struts off of a 92-95?

• Like 1

There was also an article in the old DQ that has a how-to and a parts list that you can purchase all new from McMaster-Carr. As I recall, all the parts were about $30-ish..

If interested, I can put the parts list up tonight when I get home from work.

• Like 1

There was also an article in the old DQ that has a how-to and a parts list that you can purchase all new from McMaster-Carr. As I recall, all the parts were about $30-ish..

If interested, I can put the parts list up tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks Duncan that would be cool.

Me likey McMaster-Carr. I give them wayyyyy too much money on stainless hardware.

• Like 1

Thanks Duncan that would be cool.

From DQ Vol 12 Issue 1

(2) 9416k144 gas struts - $11.44 ea.

(4) 9416k74 ball sockets - $1.98 ea.

(4) 9512k73 ball studs - $1.03 ea.

This issue isn't too terribly old, but check McMaster-Carr for current prices.

• Like 2

From DQ Vol 12 Issue 1

(2) 9416k144 gas struts - $11.44 ea.

(4) 9416k74 ball sockets - $1.98 ea.

(4) 9512k73 ball studs - $1.03 ea.

This issue isn't too terribly old, but check McMaster-Carr for current prices.

Thanks. Any pics or templates for the mounting points?

• Like 1