710 project thread

Will

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

710 all had some degree of front camber issues. My '74 looked like the engine was removed when driving down the street. I think the ride height was designed wrong at the factory. Lowering it a couple of inches made it look better (much more level with the back) and the camber is almost gone. My 710 goon came with Moog camber plates on it. This is what shops did to 710s when they came in for an alignment.

710 all had some degree of front camber issues. My '74 looked like the engine was removed when driving down the street. I think the ride height was designed wrong at the factory. Lowering it a couple of inches made it look better (much more level with the back) and the camber is almost gone. My 710 goon came with Moog camber plates on it. This is what shops did to 710s when they came in for an alignment.

Yup - I added some Moog camber plates when I swapped the front suspension to get the front wheels more perpendicular to the ground - the 710 has a raised ride height compared to a 160J/Violet, so maybe Datsun didn't change the strut location when they raised the car. Odd that they would miss that, because they bothered to make the front fender lips are lower on 710 fenders than on 160J fenders.

• Like 1

To avoid two trips to the machine shop, I was thinking of using a cold chisel (and safety glasses) to crack the old bearing collar and bearing from the disc rear axles. I need to get them off so that I can do a more accurate job of re-drilling the backing plate and bracket.

...anyone have rear wheel bearing removal/replacement tips?

Yup - I added some Moog camber plates when I swapped the front suspension to get the front wheels more perpendicular to the ground - the 710 has a raised ride height compared to a 160J/Violet, so maybe Datsun didn't change the strut location when they raised the car. Odd that they would miss that, because they bothered to make the front fender lips are lower on 710 fenders than on 160J fenders.

Now that you say it, that is probably the cause, this car was meant to be lower and upon lifting the suspension for the US market, they did not correct the geometry.

Perhaps Datsun / Nissan should had added longer control arms to counter that effect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Still working on getting the brake swap ready to go. I beat and ground off the old bearings to get at the brackets (ball bearings = durable stuff!)

I removed the rear axle ...again... to mark the new holes on the disc brakets, and the rebuilt 280ZX cylinder arrived in the mail today, so hopefully I'll be able to get it together in about a week. I still need to modify the parking brake hookup on the calipers and shorten the linkage a little bit.

In the meantime I repainted my mirror and found a passengers side mirror from Australia on ebay. ...Over there it is called a driver's side mirror, I guess. The quality was quite awful (the brand on the mirror was "kingmirror.") -though it looks better after some silver paint! I was having trouble finding a mirror with a longer arm to match the driver's side mirror - I was only finding the mirrors with shorter arms.

DSCN5722_zps7d970452.jpg

DSCN5720_zpsa97baa61.jpg

That looks like a 620/1200 mirror - I just sold one genuine Nissan.

They look really similar at first glance, but the arm is longer and the mounting holes are in a different place than the mirrors that I see on 620's. The mirror part is the same, but the arm is different. Here's a picture of the arm of the mirror from a 620:

_3_zps814e2cb7.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, so the brackets and backing plates have been drilled in what will hopefully be a bolt pattern that works well with the 710's rear axle. (I filled in all of the extra holes to make things a bit more tidy.)

Today's schedule includes modifying the brake calipers to work with the 710's parking brake system. I'll need to remove a bracket from the calipers and re-shape the arm on the caliper that hooks up to the parking brake rods.

DSCN5749_zps0020227e.jpg

• Like 1

Today I modified the parking brake levers, and ground off the parking brake brackets from the calipers (they were TOTALLY welded on, so it took some time with the angle grinder!) Tomorrow morning I'll pull off the hub again to make sure everything will fit before I get the bearings pressed onto the axles.

DSCN5758_zps65ed9785.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay... today I got the new bearings pressed onto the axles and then found myself a relatively level-ground parking spot. Tomorrow morning the new rear brakes and master cylinder get installed!

• Like 2