710 project thread

Will

I'm pretty sure that the problem is just that I need to get 12V power to one of the lugs on the old wiper switch plug. I'm not sure if your 710 has the same wiper switch plug, but on mine the 620 wiper harness plugged right in - adding a power wire should be the only change - I'll try that out the next time I have the dash apart.

deff watching your intermitant wiper install!!! i picked up one for jessi's goon a while back but have gotten to it yet. 

and those SSS gauges!!!!!!!!! OMG!

WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those smaller lenses look way better, where did you find them?

Ebay... they came with junky housings, so I just re-used the original 710 plastic housings (rust-free!)

The seller currently doesn't list any, but you can always ask.

This guy: http://myworld.ebay.com/taiaik/

This thing: Datsun Violet 140J 160J Fender Lamp NOS Pair

If you do ask, be sure to refer to a picture since I think they remake both Japanese-style lenses and European-style lenses in Thailand. Actually, the first time I ordered a pair of these lamps from Thailand, the picture on ebay showed Japanese-style lenses, but the seller shipped me a pair of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-1600-Nissan-Bluebird-610-710-140j-160j-Pair-side-marker-light-NEW-lamp-/160834680454

...so if you are interested in these lamps, I have a spare set kicking around.

• Like 1

How much do I like you, car? Enough to transpose wiring diargams and make a spreadsheet.

ScreenHunter_04Jul230859_zps66a25896.jpg

The only things in the new cluster I totally know won't work will be the low-fuel warning light and the oil pressure gauge. Hopefully swapping over an oil pressure sender from a Z-car will get the oil pressure gauge working, and as far as the low-fuel warning light goes, it will be hooked up to the seat belt warning light wire - it's been inoperative since I killed the seat belt interlock, so that wire is free now, in case I ever figure out how to get the light working properly (though that will be a VERY low priority.)

Maybe my 710 has been broken all of this time, but the dash light dimmer knob only dims the green fiber-optic knobs and the heater controls - the cluster bulbs always stay at the same brightness. From the looks of the wiring diagram, it looks like the cluster bulbs are separate enough in the circuit to be dimmed - I wonder why this doesn't happen.

Okay! Off to the garage to see if those wires will easily pop out of their plugs, or if I will need to splice 10 wires.

• Like 1

Anyway, the yard was supposed to have a '75 or '76 620, but I found this:

DSCN3077_zpsa6e2b30e.jpg

Could it be? a '78 620?

It's definitely without a doubt, positively... a '79. Can anyone tell me at least two things that distinguish it as a '79? The missing fender emblem shape does not count.

It's definitely without a doubt, positively... a '79. Can anyone tell me at least two things that distinguish it as a '79? The missing fender emblem shape does not count.

Hmmm. Disc brakes? Funky tan interior?

I checked the door tag, since I realized that p-n-p had gotten the year wrong. Again. I think it was 9/78, so just in time for the new model year.

So, it is pretty much all back together. The gauges are doing much better now, and the wiring re-routing worked pretty well. Abe - you might need to peel back the harness a bit to give the plug for the cluster enough slack to reach the different spot on the back of the cluster.

On the plus side, the wires all popped out of the plug really easily with a mini flat-head screwdriver. I did need to bend out their barbs a bit after they popped out so that they would click back into the plug.

DSCN3095_zps380a84b4.jpg

eh. close enough. (It wasn't too difficult to turn the new speedometer forward by taking some e-clips off of the axle that holds the numbers.)

DSCN3096_zps759281c9.jpg

...before

P1102641_zps0cfeff6a.jpg

...after

DSCN3097_zps596e46e0.jpg

Still to do:

lubricate the speedometer cable with some graphite

hook up an appropriate oil sender

get the intermittent wipers working (I added a blue/red wire to the original wiper switch plug and spliced it in to the green/white 12V wire, but didn't also splice the blue/black wire into the 12V power ...this is probably what is keeping the intermittent wipers from working.

Antenna on the drivers side

Really? I always thought part of the immense power of being a Datsun driver is that I get to order my passengers to roll down the window to raise the antenna.

...and a little change. Swapped out my big reflectors:

DSCN3088_zps51dbbe75.jpg

You wouldn't happen to still have the old reflectors would you? My passenger side reflector broke.

Also if you're still missing the Datsun logo on the trunk lid I have a spare, perhaps a trade?

• Like 1

You wouldn't happen to still have the old reflectors would you? My passenger side reflector broke.

Also if you're still missing the Datsun logo on the trunk lid I have a spare, perhaps a trade?

Sure, I'd be up for a trade - the P.O. took all of the badges off of my 710, and broke a bunch of pins in the process. Having a "Datsun" badge on the trunk will keep folks from telling me that I'm driving an old Corolla, just like their dad's.

• Like 1

Antenna on the drivers side

That's one. One year only '79 were the antennas on the driver's side.

And core support

Sorry all L20B 620s had that for the larger rad.

The DX models had chrome trim inset around the opera windows on the KC and chrome trim around the drip  rail around the tops of the doors. It should have a chrome inset into the windshield rubber gasket... can't tell really.

Oh yeah the emblem...

The fender emblems used to say simply DATSUN but with the name change approaching in '82/'83 they started in '79 by adding DATSUNbyNISSAN  to get the public used to it. You can see on the fender where the 'byNISSAN' was just under the emblem

'

I went outside to show my girlfriend that I'd finally addressed the squeaky clutch pedal (she was scared of the squeaking sound, but I thought "the clutch pedal squeaking is the one problem this car has that is LEAST likely to kill us.") anyway, I turned on the headlights to see if the gauge cluster lights were working correctly, and the intermittent wipers started working! ...they only work when the headlights or parking lights are switched on.

Weird. I hadn't touched the wiring since yesterday. Time to consult the wiring diagram again. 

Edit: Mystery solved - the power wire I wired into the intermittent wiper system was the same wire that powers the light for the cigarette lighter. Duh.

Had a good morning at the San Jose junkyards - at the north yard we found a '73 240Z hazard light switch and a "rear defogger" light to help with my plan of changing my stock hazard and defogger switches for fiber-optic pull switches. Then at the south yard there was another '79 620 KC that had been listed as a '75 or '76. Someone had already taken the chrome window trim and smashed the windshield wiper switch out of the dashboard, but I nabbed the delay box and the matchbox dizzy.

Also, I found this dimmer knob in an old Toyota pickup:

DSCN3105_zpsf6ae77c5.jpg

...in this vehicle you do not turn down the brightness. You turn up the darkness!

• 2 weeks later...

I put in some new outer tie rod ends in the car today (After I removed the old tie rod ends I discovered that Rock Auto sent me the wrong inner tie rod ends, so I just used the boots to spruce up the current ends,) got the car aligned, and put on the Momo Vega rims (finally!)

I like the new rims - maybe some small spacers would be nice down the road.

DSCN3118_zpsadb020c2.jpg

...and here's the new springs. Some shorter cartridges would help keep the springs in place when the springs are at full droop. I'll put that on the long to-do list.

DSCN3115_zpsa05938d3.jpg

I noticed that the tension rod bushings were old and cracked, so I picked up one of those ball and socket T/C rod kits to install at the same time as I replaced the bushings. ...it turned out that the previous owner already installed one of the kits and I hadn't noticed. Oof!.

DSCN3113_zps81312ebb.jpg

Busted bushings:

DSCN3114_zpsef405bd5.jpg

...and I finally found replacements for the nylon inserts to keep the trim on my car:

DSCN3110_zpsfbfb743b.jpg

These things:

DSCN3111_zpsf260b5b8.jpg

Also, I added some Moog sway bar links - they are much more snug than the poly bushings that were on the car when I picked it up, and the car is more quiet now. I needed to put my jack under the bolt and use it to compress the rubber bushings in the link enough so that I could put a nut on the end!

The weatherstripping is from a place in Los Angeles - here's the info:

Here's what you'll need:

2 - 18" pieces of E401 (they were about 8 dollars each when I bought them.)

And here's the place that sold me the weatherstripping:

J & J Auto Fabrics Inc.
www.jjautofabrics.com/‎

thanks!! nice car

• 2 months later...

I finally got around to starting the 200SX rear disc brake swap (I was waiting until I picked up a resident parking sticker, so I wouldn't have so far to walk when I need to pick up parts from home.) 

A rear wheel cylinder had been leaking for a while... it sure was a mess under the drum!

DSCN4285_zps96284587.jpg

It was supported by a jack stand too - it just doesn't show in the photo!

DSCN4286_zps0c6f3b86.jpg

Unlike the 200SX, the rear axle didn't just pull out nicely when the axle flange was unbolted, so it looks like I will need to go to the metal shop tomorrow morning to make a slide hammer that I can attach to the hub.

Well, the good news is that my home-made slide hammer worked like a charm. (it was a bunch of bike tubing and random bits of scrap metal welded together, but it worked.)

...the bad news is that the weird 80-81 200SX rear calipers are a lot deeper than most calipers, and there are clearance issues between the leaf springs if they are rotated to the bottom and there are clearance issues between the calipers and the inner fender if they are rotated to the top.

Does anyone know of a different caliper that might be a good fit to the 200SX bracket? The mounting holes are 3.75" / 9.5cm apart.

Okay, further updates... I went back this morning and tried rotating the bracket around to see if I could find a position that would work, and it looks like this one will do the trick:

DSCN4290_zps5a4fa059.jpg

It's pretty close to the bump stop, but I think it should be okay.

DSCN4291_zpsbbbd282d.jpg

It looks like there will be clearance for the parking brake cable too.

DSCN4292_zps147138cf.jpg

Unfortunately, the holes don't line up for a simple bolt-on installation, so I'll need to re-drill the brackets and backing plates, but there is plenty of room on the current brackets for a new set of holes without making them weak.

DSCN4295_zps680916b7.jpg

...and my slide hammer is ugly, but functional!

DSCN4294_zps6c69823d.jpg

• Like 1