Hose Identification

uieluck

So I'm sure this a really easy question and a dumb question for most of you seasoned motor masters. (maybe even hands to the face quality).

Last night I replaced my throttle cable (didn't know you couldn't stomp on a 30yr old cable) :P. So when I was removing some of the vacuum hose(s) etc. to get to the cable, I realized this hose hooked on the top part but completely dangling with a metal bracket on the low end. I grabbed my Haynes 620 manual and did some digging,,, but that shizzatch isn't marked anywhere in the book. The manual just makes it look like it goes in a 3 way split at the lower end.

Question? WTF is this?

IMG_7216.jpg

IMG_7213.jpg

IMG_7217.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I was at work. Think I sit around here all day waiting for questions? :)

The hose is part of the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system. The manifold end is connected to a PCV valve, the other to the block vent pipe.The PCV valve is a very small opening into the intake with a spring loaded one way valve. A small amount of intake vacuum is used to draw warm moist water, gas and combustion vapors out of the crankcase. These vapors would otherwise condense overnight when the engine cools and contaminate the oil. The PCV system has no effect on running and helps keep your engine and oil cleaner. The one way valve prevents a backfire flame traveling back inside the motor.

• Like 1

Hey I was at work. Think I sit around here all day waiting for questions? :)

The hose is part of the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system. The manifold end is connected to a PCV valve, the other to the block vent pipe.

Thanks man. I'm getting some mild amateur confidence lately. However, I spend 4 hours a day reading about crap that melts my brain. And the Haynes manual is useful,,,, but sometimes it's worthless.

Yes, it was connected to the manifold end, but it goes to the merry land of nowhere.

Thanks, again!

L20Bs come up out of the block, go towards the back of the engine, make a 90 and the hose clips on and goes from the re to the PCV valve

motorL20BPCVhosetoblocknonsmog-1.jpg

L16/18s come out of the side of the block because they use a different exhaust manifold and there's room to do so. The hose is bent in an S sort of shape and connects to the PCV valve.

L16blockpcv.jpg

I like the FSM for the year of the vehicle you want info for. Haynes tend to cover too many years and the info is general. The 620 manual has an appendix in the back with info added for the '78 and '79. Not nearly good enough.

• Like 1