280zx struts

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I replace my blown 510 struts with 280zx struts and then add washers to lengthen it? 

Yes. You just need to make a spacer to go inside the strut housing to take up the slack. 

Or are the strut casings different widths? 

Everything except a 1200 uses the same diameter strut housing. As well as almost all Toyotas, a lot of VWs, etc.    :thumbup:

• Like 1

So, I'm cutting down the ZX top hats to fit in the 710.  One of the 710 ones is kinda roached because of the giant wallowed out holes in the shock towers. Do people normally do anything to reinforce the edges after cutting, or is it fine to just cut them off and leave it flat?

So, I'm cutting down the ZX top hats to fit in the 710.  One of the 710 ones is kinda roached because of the giant wallowed out holes in the shock towers. Do people normally do anything to reinforce the edges after cutting, or is it fine to just cut them off and leave it flat?

I've asked the same question, and the answer I got was: "leave it flat".  I ran mine for a few miles with no issues.... Had I not swapped over to the T3 coilover setup, I was planning to go back and weld a ring around the edge.

• 2 months later...

I'm putting 280zx struts in my 510. I can't find the bolts that bolt the strut to the caliper. I don't have old ones to compare. I've tried a few parts websites without luck. I've called 2 Nissan dealers in Canada and 1 in the US. I've checked the local wreckers. Does anyone know a good source for these bolts? Or the bolt dimensions? I believe they are m12x??. I think they have a shoulder but I don't know the length of the bolt or the shoulder. I've seen some on EBay but can't confirm if they're the correct ones. Any help would be great.

I'm putting 280zx struts in my 510. I can't find the bolts that bolt the strut to the caliper. I don't have old ones to compare. I've tried a few parts websites without luck. I've called 2 Nissan dealers in Canada and 1 in the US. I've checked the local wreckers. Does anyone know a good source for these bolts? Or the bolt dimensions? I believe they are m12x??. I think they have a shoulder but I don't know the length of the bolt or the shoulder. I've seen some on EBay but can't confirm if they're the correct ones. Any help would be great.

Why not use the ones that came out of your 510 struts? 

I would like to keep the 69 510 struts as a complete assembly to sell if possible. I think these bolts (m12x1.25x40mm) were used on newer Nissans, just not sure which ones. I did this to my last 510 but those were the days when you could find Datsuns at the auto wreckers.