Dick Dean Datsun Hot Rod

I learned that Dick Dean (the famous hot rod builder) came up with an idea for building a hot rod out of a Datsun frame and drivetrain. He used to sell plans on how to do it for $10.

This is about all the info I've found.

"Always the innovator, Dick marketed the "Dot Rod" kit car using the chassis and power train from a Datsun. The information packet sold for $10 and gave instructions on building a glass or steel '32-'34 Ford. If it was built correctly, this is how it looked."

and

"The Dot Rod or something like that...but he left the front end in place.

The frame itself was a reasonable fit BUT I think the rear kick was curved a little different. NO problem with a channelled rig or a fabricated floor."

Seems to be some interest out there with using Datsun truck frames to build hotrods. (which are ofcourse already boxed and you have to explain less to the DMV i guess?)

Anyone ever hear of this or know any more about it? Here is a pic.

DickDeanDotRod.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dick Dean is still alive and living in the San Jacinto/Hemet area. I posted on the thread about Big Dave's truck on the address next door to His. Maybe they can give a number to get a hold of Dick's relitives, or who is in charge of His archives.

Dick Dean is still alive and living in the San Jacinto/Hemet area. I posted on the thread about Big Dave's truck on the address next door to His. Maybe they can give a number to get a hold of Dick's relitives, or who is in charge of His archives.

Damn Mike you are a vault of knowlege! You never fail to impress me. If only we could jack into your brain and download it to the ratsun archives!

Hi. Thanks for the complement! But this was really a pretty easy find. I "googled" Dick Dean and found some nice websites with His history and photos of projects. One website says that Dick chopped His first vehicle in 1953!!! He went on to work for George Barris alongside Dean Jefferys buildng many notable rides. One being the Monkeemobile. As I looked at the websites, one had photos taken a couple of years ago at a reunion. In the background was a sign saying "Christie Steel Fabrication". I simply went into the phonebook dot com website and there was the listing...... 1434 Mesa View St. Hemet, Ca. 92543 951-654-2882. I had suggested to Big Dave that as Dick Dean did the choptop on His truck that it might be cool to send Dick a glovebox door, along with photos to verify the truck, to have autographed by Dick. Dick is in a wheelchair now so I would hurry in getting information, etc. from Him.

I have a copy of "How to Build a Street Rod" (Motorbooks International 1985) with a reprint of an article from Hot Rod. The original article is probably from the early 70's.

Dean called it the Dot-Rod, built on a truck chassis and has an L-20.

I have a copy of "How to Build a Street Rod" (Motorbooks International 1985) with a reprint of an article from Hot Rod. The original article is probably from the early 70's.

Dean called it the Dot-Rod, built on a truck chassis and has an L-20.

Hi and welcome! I love a first post with info to share! Is this the book you are talking about?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hot-Rod-Magazine-presents-How-to-Build-a-Street-Rod_W0QQitemZ370013300061QQihZ024QQcategoryZ280QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks!

That's the book - the article is only a few pages long. Not many details. He did some creative work with the back of the frame - it comes out through the bodywork and looks a bit strange.

I've been keeping an eye out for a copy of the plans, but have never run across them.

Around the same time there was an article about building a t-bucket style hot rod on a Datsun or Toyota truck frame. They chopped up the bed to make the body. The tailgate became the back of the body with the embossed letters.

I've toyed with the idea of building one, but I have too many roadster projects! A friend is picking up a '78 620 on Saturday - may have to take a closer look at the frame!

• 5 years later...

Did anyone ever unearth these plans? I am buying a title-less 720 and would like to slap a titled cab on it from something older (American, Japanese, Swedish, etc) so the whole package will be pre-emissions.

• 1 month later...

i didnt even bother reading the posts but i just wanted to say

fuck all that. keep it all nissan.

i initially thought this thread was gonna be about dick hot rodding

a datsun (taking everything existing and improving it but not necessarily replacing it.)

a cool find, none the less, im not trying to discredit that,

and by 'fuck all that' i just mean 'eh its not for me' :)

• 2 weeks later...

^Disagree^

Hot rods are hella cooler and hella more American than anything Datsun ever made.

If you can build one on the cheap using Datsun parts...

fucking DO IT.

lol disagree with what? that i thought this thread was going to be something else?

and the second sentence has nothing to do with my initial post. yes of course hot rods are more american than

anything datsun ever made, you silly guy.

Bananahamuck

You'd look good in that, gotta have that helmet too

I have posted this before but i love this thing an A motor and a 4speed,,,, and just in case he`s somehow lurking here (noway) Herb!! i will still trade ya ..

cameravernscar005.jpg

cameravernscar006.jpg

I can easily see where the Dat/Dot Rod idea came from.  I used to work next to a street rod shop and remember being under a 521 I had and thinking this frame is shaped a lot like the ones they use.