Transmission differences

OK guys I've been searching the net and can't seem to find any definitive answers. But does anyone (Datzenmike maybe??) know if there are any major differences between a single cam engine transmission and the twin cam engine transmission?? I know physically they look identical except for a few sensor differences. But are there any differences in gear ratios? My reason for the questions is because I ended up destroying the input shaft on my tranny from my twin cam engine and was given a transmission from a single cam engine setup. It may be just me but the single cam transmission seems to be a bit slower or maybe just not as torquey as the trans from the twin cam. Am I just "thinking" they are different?? And how difficult is it to rebuild one of these transmissions?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're killing me smalls, this should be in General Technical. Ratios are most likely different, other than that everything else should bolt up, but wait for Datzenmike, he may have more info.

You're killing me smalls, this should be in General Technical. Ratios are most likely different, other than that everything else should bolt up, but wait for Datzenmike, he may have more info.

dammit....my bad I musta clicked the wrong linky thing.....sorry.......do I need to go grab the "board of education" :no:

OK guys I've been searching the net and can't seem to find any definitive answers. But does anyone (Datzenmike maybe??) know if there are any major differences between a single cam engine transmission and the twin cam engine transmission?? I know physically they look identical except for a few sensor differences. But are there any differences in gear ratios? My reason for the questions is because I ended up destroying the input shaft on my tranny from my twin cam engine and was given a transmission from a single cam engine setup. It may be just me but the single cam transmission seems to be a bit slower or maybe just not as torquey as the trans from the twin cam. Am I just "thinking" they are different?? And how difficult is it to rebuild one of these transmissions?

Not being a smartass ,,, Is your "Pilot Bearing" Good ? :unsure:

I assume by "destroying" you mean ,,, FUBAR yes ? ( Fawked Up Beyond Any Repair )

Tisk Tisk ,,, were you having some fun when you destroyed your tranny ? :D

any major differences between a single cam engine transmission and the twin cam engine transmission?

Are you asking about the transmissions from KA-equipped Nissan trucks?

Single Cam

1990-1994 D21 Hardbody Pickup KA24E

1995-1997 D21U Hardbody Pickup KA24E

Twin Cam

1995-1997 D22U Hardbody Pickup KA24DE

1999- WD22 Pathfinder KA24DE

Not being a smartass ,,, Is your "Pilot Bearing" Good ? :unsure:

I assume by "destroying" you mean ,,, FUBAR yes ? ( Fawked Up Beyond Any Repair )

Tisk Tisk ,,, were you having some fun when you destroyed your tranny ? :D

hehehehehe.....alright heres the story.....

Yes I have been raping the shit outta the truck..... :cool:. I assumed at first that my throw out bearing was going bad due to the fact that it was only making noise when the clutch was released. I didn't change it right away but figured I could get away with it for a little while. Well I took the truck for a 120 mile trip and on the way there the trans started to whine and howl really bad. I babied her back home and lifted her in the garage. I pull the plug on the trans and hmmm......only half a quart of fluid comes out :mad: what a freaking dumbass!!! I completely forgot to check the trans fluid when doing the swap....arrggh. Yes I know let the flaming begin.

But getting back to it I pulled the motor to change the "throw out bearing" and found a completely destroyed input shaft. I'm thinking possibly, maybe, coulda been from the lack of fluid hahahaha.

Are you asking about the transmissions from KA-equipped Nissan trucks?

Single Cam

1990-1994 D21 Hardbody Pickup KA24E

1995-1997 D21U Hardbody Pickup KA24E

Twin Cam

1995-1997 D22U Hardbody Pickup KA24DE

1999- WD22 Pathfinder KA24DE

Sorry wasn't clear on that one important piece of info.

It is a Twin cam DE from a 92 240sx as was the original transmission.

My replacement trans is from an unknown vehicle but was definitely from a single cam.

Happens to the best of us. I forgot to tighten one wheel and it came off on the way to Canby ... good thing I was only doing 60 mph at the time.

I'm not alone!!

Muahahahaha now we can poke fun at GGzilla too laugh.gif

lulz I kid.

the [240SX] single cam transmission seems to be a bit slower or maybe just not as torquey as the trans from the twin cam

Single Cam 12-valve

1988-1990 S13 240SX KA24E

1st- 3.321

2nd- 1.902

3rd- 1.308

4th- 1.000

5th- 0.759

Twin Cam 16-valve

1991-1993 S13 240SX KA24DE

1994-1998 S14 240SX KA24DE

1st- 3.321

2nd- 1.902

3rd- 1.308

4th- 1.000

5th- 0.759

So they are the same.

Single Cam 12-valve

1988-1990 S13 240SX KA24E

1st- 3.321

2nd- 1.902

3rd- 1.308

4th- 1.000

5th- 0.759

Twin Cam 16-valve

1991-1993 S13 240SX KA24DE

1994-1998 S14 240SX KA24DE

1st- 3.321

2nd- 1.902

3rd- 1.308

4th- 1.000

5th- 0.759

So they are the same.

Well that answers that question!! I guess its just me hahaha. Damn I can't blame the trans!!